What is this image effect known as?

OverTheBelow

These images are some really nice ones in a collection I downloaded and I couldn't help but wonder how they were taken (or edited). Could someone tell me the name of effect that is mainly used in them? i.e. it seems like some sort of image burn-in of car red lights/trails, or elaborate transparent layering, but I have no idea if there is a specific term for it (or even a function on high-end cameras.. is it just a technique done via photoshop or what?). tounge.gif

The point I am fascinated about are the red lights and the white trail, its like a few minutes of time in one image. I've seen it implemented in many images and the occasional film too.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Thanks in advance!

DU8afL0.jpg

Slow shutter speed.

It's not difficult (besides timing it right), a lot of cameras have a shutter speed setting.

Tripod helps.

Edited by *MURDOC*
38773_s.gif

I'm not sure if there's a name for it and I'm not sure if it could be called an effect.

It's made by exposure with a camera. The shutters are opened for some time and any light that moves makes a trail.

here's my try to make something with exposure:

user posted image

Ahh, thanks for the answers guys. smile.gif

You can probably tell I don't know the first thing about photography. tounge.gif

DU8afL0.jpg

well it was quite a mystery for me too for quite a time. And it still is really, I'm kinda stuck ar stars photography.