GTA V is almost 2 and a half times larger than Red

v-man

Breaking Bohan

I haven't clicked on the link but I'd be very happy if it was as large a map as possible (like Just Cause 2).

Does anyone even know the sqaure miles of the RDR map?

Like 20-25 square miles, I think?

I think they got that from that fake Rockstar guy's Facebook post.

O, well with all the modders on these forums you'd think someone would be able to figure it out.

I am not sure if RDR was bigger then GTA IV, but still. If it's two and a half times larger then Red Dead, then that is quite an improvement.

Just Cause 2 has a huge map but most of it is water and repeated trees, desert and snow with average graphics while on ground level.

Although the graphics are pretty good when in the air smile.gif

This is what a friend of mine was claiming he saw on the Rockstar site. There was a comment made by either Rockstar or an imposter with a similar name, but he claims he saw a post saying it was 2,5 times the size of RDR.

I'm not sure if this adds any more credibility to the rumor or the other way around, but he swears he saw it on their facebook page, and this is something he mentioned without having seen any articles about it or anything like that

unknowngtafan

red dead was alot of trees and grass, the cities were small. it didnt take up that much room because everything was so similar.

This is not the case with los santos

O, well with all the modders on these forums you'd think someone would be able to figure it out.

Modding doesn't have anything to do with geology bored.gif

http://multi.systemlink.me/2011/11/rumour-...half-times.html

So don't be surprised if the game will feature the other 2 cities too

Time will tell...until then, read and enjoy the rumour! Sleep on it and think positive!

Sorry, tells me nothing.

I'm a PC, I cannot (and apparently will never, according to R* development heads) play RDR, so I have no clue how big it was. Was it bigger than, say, Farcry 2? GTA IV? WOW? JC2?

That said, as an unattributable statement, it hangs by a thread of credibility.

All I can say is that if V includes beaches, forests and mountains, it better be bigger than IV.

ignore this post. He fixed it. Edited by aragond

What was bigger RDR or GTA SA?

Just Cause 2.

mfw you're being an unhelpful ...

RDR map was about 250% (2.5 x) bigger than SA's map.

It most certainly won't even be 1/100th of the side of the largest video game ever:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/image...10/05/ubwcz.jpg

**LARGE IMAGE

Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall - 62,394 square miles.

1/2 the size of Great Britain. Damn.

GTA: San Andreas was 13 square miles btw.

.021% of the size of Daggerfall.

Seeing that map.... R* would have no excuse to not include SF and LV.

I know the buildings and everything is different than open roads and trees, but I know R* can figure those things out.

Great Post icon14.gif

We can like, check the geometry size and convert it to real life measures.

Yl8KS.jpg

We can like, check the geometry size and convert it to real life measures.

It'd be a long and tedious task but I think most people cbf. I can't.

A little off topic but Far Cry 2s map is double the size of what is shown in that diagram. Because there are two territories of similar size. But alot of it was undetailed savannah and desert. Still an impressive map though IMO

all i need is a long strip of of nothing on the outskirts of town, driving in my beat up and blood stained car listening to America- A Horse With No Name.

Just Cause 2.

mfw you're being an unhelpful ...

Okay thanks.

Rumor sounds reliable. Gosh, it will be giant...

5 Protagonists Prove/Theory

"Guns don't kill people, death kills people! Ask a doctor, it's a medical fact, you can't die from a bullet." - Gun Advocate from Chatterbox FM.

They might've gotten it from Rockstar's facebook page, earlier today there was a comment on there claiming the GTA V map is 2.5 the size of RDR, I haven't been able to find that comment though, maybe it's been removed. It could've been an imposter with a similar name to Rockstar, so I mixed it up or it was Rockstar but they removed it. Either way, it's gone.

Just Cause 2.

Thank you. I withdraw my face.

So, that would mean... 2.5 x 13.6 sq miles, a.k.a. 34 sq.mi, (as opposed to (2.5 x 3.73 mi)^2 or 86.95 sq.mi)

Which would make it about FarCry 2, which was tonnes of wasted space. (Oh, actually, I guess RDR was mostly countryside, too.)

And the French claim is that V is 2.5 x RDR, which (again, assuming 2.5 x 34sq.mi, and not ( 2.5 x (2.5 x 3.73 mi) ) ^2 ) would make it roughly 85 sq.mi / 220 sq.km.

So, the size of WoW. (not that this means anything to me, since I don't play WoW, either.)

So, compared to IV... Some dude calculated the land area of Liberty city to be 3.13 square miles, but the total area of IV's map is ... um ... well, I can't seem to find that.

Short answer, 85 sq.mi would be big, and though most of it would obviously be countryside, there'd obviously be a fairly sizable city that would have to be bigger than Liberty, and, indeed, would be big enough to justify having more than one city.

We'll see. As I've repeatedly said, if Trailer #2 features cities other than Los Santos, I'll not only join the choir of voices touting "GTA-SA2", I'll be the conductor. Until that happens, I still only see one city.

Map size isn't everything. Just Cause 2 had a huge map, yet the gameworld was so lifeless and boring that it lost it's novelty for me after about 20 hours.

well if RDR is 2.5x SA then this rumour suggests that V is about 6x the size of SA.

and if you saw how fast the jet was going in the trailer, you'll know there's gonna be a need for a really large map for that kind of speed

G1T