R* did a poor job of replicating NYC?

mcstupidfun

I think IV was well done, but with no feeling of life in the city. Beyond that the story wasn't very good or interesting, and the characters, most of them were annoying.

Everyone has their own opinion, but I consider GTA IV to have some of the most interesting characters in the series and the story had me gripped from beginning to end.

The GTA III era cities were much more dead than GTA IV's LC. Peds walked around aimlessly and the cities just generally lacked that "living" feeling present in GTA IV IMO even if it wasn't perfect.

GTA IV was a game that was modelled to be playable. It was their first game on the platform and they were still experimenting with it and what they can do. Look at GTA III, then look at GTA SA. both games were manufactured for the same era, yet they found new ways of doing things and at the same time found their limitations.

The traffic is sparse and dwindling because it's what the console can handle. The PC version fixed this up, and you can maximise the amount of cars on screen. You can also add touches to the game such as increasing/decreasing colour depth to your liking, etc.

They did a good job adapting to a new era of machinery, even if the PC version was flawed majorly.

Expect some major improvements from GTA IV to GTA V.

The traffic is sparse and dwindling because it's what the console can handle.

I've been playing GTA IV probably the last week and a half and I've noticed times where streets are virtually empty, but other times it's jammed with cars and peds.

Typically I find the ped and traffic density picks up whille warking around.

I felt Liberty City was rather dull. The boroughs (with the except of Alderney) lacked variation in themselves. Broker was brown houses and tenements. Dukes was townhouses. Bohan was dirty. Algonquin was tall. Very few of the neighbourhoods had a distinct flavour, Star Junction being one of the few, it all just felt the same. I didn't learn the city like I did with previous games.

This.

I have been reading this thread for the past month and I have say that honestly I haven't come across any of the faults that everyone is talking about. whatsthat.gif

Have you guys been to NYC?

Seriously, it's an interpretation, not a replica, and it's an awesome interpretation. Bohan is dirty, Broker is full of dull brown brick houses and projects - Bronx is dirty, and Brooklyn is full of dull brown brick houses and projects. True, every single block of Liberty City isn't perfectly similar to that of New York, but it's not even supposed to be. That's the point. It's great.

The level of detail, too, is unique. Liberty City of IV is, to me, the best setting yet in gaming.

8wjrzl.png

im glad it did not have planes or look like nyc. If it looked like nyc they may of included the world trade center. And too many inmature A**holes would play games and fly into the WTC. Im glad they made the map like that. Too many stupid little kids now adays that think its funny what happened on 911. So many people died in horrible ways and they could do nothing about it. People got blown up, they burned, they fell, they were pulverized when the tower fell... Im glad it did not look like NYC.

EDIT:

So many people died in 9/11 and did not have a choice. People who die of starvation can eat sand, leaves, bugs and other stuff. its not our fault they choose to live in huts in africa. Or whatever.

Are you being serious?

People cant leave them poor countrys , How do you think they would afford a plane ticket?

And eating sand.....WTF?

Reported by the way, Your a disgrace.

• 8 months later...
ViceCityMobster86

I like GTA 4's deception of Liberty City, I thought they did a great job.

I don't see how R* could've done it better at the time.

K' first of all, LC is not a replica of NY and never will be. Neither will LS. R* adds twists to everyone of there cities so it's not the same thing.

Second, I think R* axed LC well. It was really a great game at the time. If you really look at NY, or been there, you can tell LC did it well. There are random buildings R* stuck into there game that were done so well and exists in real life and they're not even landmarks. R* did LC really great. I don't see how it was a "poor job" that's ridiculous imo.

So many people died in 9/11 and did not have a choice. People who die of starvation can eat sand, leaves, bugs and other stuff. its not our fault they choose to live in huts in africa. Or whatever.

I know it's almost a year since this post but it is still so stupid.

Edited by Kifflom112

im glad it did not have planes or look like nyc. If it looked like nyc they may of included the world trade center. And too many inmature A**holes would play games and fly into the WTC. Im glad they made the map like that. Too many stupid little kids now adays that think its funny what happened on 911.

I'm guessing you can do that in BF3 yet nobody did. Just find 2 buildings next to each other.

Please check the dates before posting next time. Locking this up, as you fellas are more or less just repeating what was already said in the previous pages, 9 months ago.