R* did a poor job of replicating NYC?

mcstupidfun

Miami makes you feel a certain way; Vice City totally got that.

Is having 1/5 of the entire landmass being airport and beaches really feel like Miami? Have you been to Miami? Compared to R*'s past two renditions of LC, IV's LC is by far the best representation of NYC. As said before, it's not meant to replicate NYC, it's meant to be an interpretation of the city. It is also not fair to blame R* for a poor job due to technical limitations. Is it even possible to have size and detail at the same time back in '07-'08?

Fair point about the landmass but I feel like VC has the best atmosphere.

I would put it down more to being set in the 80s. If VC was set in the year it was released (2002) it wouldn't have been as good. VC isn't VC without the 80s to go a long with it IMHO.

blowtorchrepair

Liberty City, to me, being my first exposure to any GTA game since the original 2D game, was breath taking. I remember getting home from work and immediately firing up the projector and 360 to venture into this city which seemed alive with unknown possibilities and limitations. I was truly blown away at the size and attention to detail. It was like a first generation matrix to me even.

as far as the city being a virtual ghost town, yes, it has moments where one can be standing at the Triangle and hardly no cars or peds are around. I'm sure that R* would give us "the matrix" if technology allowed it. a sizable increase in draw distance with the next game will hopefully help out. R* did the best job with elements available to make a fun "GAME" loosely based on NYC, and not necessarily a life-like sim of NYC.

It was a good effort by R*, but ultimately GTAIV fell flat. I lived in NYC when it came out, bought it midnight release, eventually beat it, and after the missions were done however after driving around the city almost every day from april 08 - febuary 09 (before dlcs got released) things got really boring and you really start to notice how many peds get repeated, how you still cant go into most buildings (just like the real NYC right?) and there were a huge lack of peds. I know there are technical limitations but often times Star Junction was almost empty at night, which is just wrong and ruins the immersion for me.

GET OVER 1 BILLION IN GTA ONLINE WITH THIS GLITCH

Join the best of the best. Join the Republic of Zee.http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/member/zeegtaforums

Add me on Xbox: ZeeGTAForums and PS3: mtkgta420

The Continuing Adventures of Zeehttp://www.youtube.com/ZeeGTAForums

http://www.twitch.tv/zeegtaf

Deji is a coward.

Miami makes you feel a certain way; Vice City totally got that.

Is having 1/5 of the entire landmass being airport and beaches really feel like Miami? Have you been to Miami? Compared to R*'s past two renditions of LC, IV's LC is by far the best representation of NYC. As said before, it's not meant to replicate NYC, it's meant to be an interpretation of the city. It is also not fair to blame R* for a poor job due to technical limitations. Is it even possible to have size and detail at the same time back in '07-'08?

Fair point about the landmass but I feel like VC has the best atmosphere.

I would put it down more to being set in the 80s. If VC was set in the year it was released (2002) it wouldn't have been as good. VC isn't VC without the 80s to go a long with it IMHO.

Very true. Thats why Los Santos and early 90s worked so well.

and you really start to notice how many peds get repeated,

This has been an ongoing problem as long as I can remember. It's NOT specific to GTA IV. I mean atleast the peds in GTA IV if they're the same model typically wear different clothing to compensate making it less noticeable IMO.

If I could write a book based on how many times I've seen the EXACT same ped on every 2 blocks in GTA III, VC and SA it'd be a bloody big book. While there was still repetition present it was easily a bigger improvement in GTA IV.

Edited by Miamivicecity

EvilEmperorZoRG

I was thinking, has enyone ever tried to go around the whole city walking ? How much time it takes ?

i like GTA 4s LC better, but i will NEVER like any other GTA games "rebooted" sanandreas map. Gta 5 will never beat GTA SA`s version of the map, especially if its only gonna be LS.

Croogers i don't think you understand the meaning of the word reboot. It refers mainly to movies in the sense that you are trying to use it. For example: The new Spiderman movie coming out next year is a reboot, same characters, same story just new actors in the same roles. I think the word you are looking for is re-imagine, as in GTA IV's LC is a re-imagining of III's LC.

I didn't mind LC in IV. I'm not a huge fan of III but I thought that the new version feels more like a real city (I can't say it feels like New York, as I have never been).

Nihilanth1982

not really. from my very breif stint playing it, it portrayed it accurately. that is, a boring, dull, overrated concrete jungle thats got nothing but a load of pointless big buildings and looks pretty samey. new york in a nutshell.

It could have been bigger and some parts of it probably should have been livelier, but overall it was good.

im glad it did not have planes or look like nyc. If it looked like nyc they may of included the world trade center. And too many inmature A**holes would play games and fly into the WTC. Im glad they made the map like that. Too many stupid little kids now adays that think its funny what happened on 911. So many people died in horrible ways and they could do nothing about it. People got blown up, they burned, they fell, they were pulverized when the tower fell... Im glad it did not look like NYC.

What are you talking about? 9/11 was hilarious, and GTA IV would've been far more funny if you could recreate the 9/11 attacks. Thank god for the PC version, though, we have mods that enable us to have a good laugh while flying planes into WTC.

user was temped for this post

Perhaps because LC isn't entirely NYC? It has also parts that were inspired by Detroit, Chicago, and New Jersey.

tumblr_mk683ddOTs1rkv9cvo1_250.gif

Perhaps because LC isn't entirely NYC? It has also parts that were inspired by Detroit, Chicago, and New Jersey.

I know Alderney is based on New Jersay, but what are the parts based on Chicago and Detroit just for interest's sake?

WTF is this crap - some lame ass icon13.gif told R* did a lame job and suddenly - 100 pages. R* did an amazing job, the city and the people in it are awesome. icon14.gif

I know Alderney is based on New Jersay, but what are the parts based on Chicago and Detroit just for interest's sake?

Not really sure, Rockstar mentioned they tried to incorporate different features from each city to eventually build up LC, of course, most of which NYC is represented in.

If I find the article it was said in, I'll definitely give you a link. wink.gif

tumblr_mk683ddOTs1rkv9cvo1_250.gif

Not really sure, Rockstar mentioned they tried to incorporate different features from each city to eventually build up LC, of course, most of which NYC is represented in.

If I find the article it was said in, I'll definitely give you a link. wink.gif

It sounds like you're talking about the Liberty City in GTA 3, not GTA IV. GTA IV is without any debate pretty much just a miniature version of New York, along with a few cities and areas of New Jersey.

Finn 7 five 11

I think Rockstar did a fine job of recreating NYC in their own way.

Those saying it is not meant to be like NYC are wrong, it was, but not a real life recreation.

People walking around were more believable, there was more pedestrian dialogue, the pedestrians carried things around and actually did things, they did not walk down the street turn around and walk back as much/ at all.

Hardware limitations are the biggest cause of lack of pedestrians in star Junction, that could't really be helped.

---

I think Rockstar did a fine job of recreating NYC in their own way.

Those saying it is not meant to be like NYC are wrong, it was, but not a real life recreation.

People walking around were more believable, there was more pedestrian dialogue, the pedestrians carried things around and actually did things, they did not walk down the street turn around and walk back as much/ at all.

Hardware limitations are the biggest cause of lack of pedestrians in star Junction, that could't really be helped.

---

I was playing GTA IV just before and honestly I think it's really an awesome experience when you take time out from killing and causing mayhem by just walking around observing everything.

This game was released in 2008 and it still amazes me how much work was put into the peds. They sit on benchs and read, they drink coffee, some lean against poles, some talk on phones etc.

Compared to the GTA III era which I've always described as a bunch of lifeless zombies the work put into GTA IV isn't even comparable IMO.

a boring, dull, overrated concrete jungle thats got nothing but a load of pointless big buildings and looks pretty samey. new york in a nutshell.

GET OUT whatsthat.gifsuicidal.gif

Don't get out. No, infact, take your shoes off and stay awhile. True fans of GTA know iv was the worst in the series

GET OVER 1 BILLION IN GTA ONLINE WITH THIS GLITCH

Join the best of the best. Join the Republic of Zee.http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/member/zeegtaforums

Add me on Xbox: ZeeGTAForums and PS3: mtkgta420

The Continuing Adventures of Zeehttp://www.youtube.com/ZeeGTAForums

http://www.twitch.tv/zeegtaf

Deji is a coward.

Don't get out. No, infact, take your shoes off and stay awhile. True fans of GTA know iv was the worst in the series

No gta 2 on the gameboy was the worst in the series.

While I do think that a few things were left out, and I personally don't see the point of excluding Staten Island, I thought IV was an excellent interpretation of NYC. My only real issue is how small the neighborhoods are. Which has been the same in every GTA so far.

In my opinion it was the best replica of NYC feel and look so far and nobody have ever caught both of them so good.

True fans of GTA know iv was the worst in the series

So you're telling me after 13 years of playing GTA I'm not a true GTA fan, because I actually like GTA IV and don't consider it to be the worst in the series?

Edited by Miamivicecity

True fans of GTA know iv was the worst in the series

So you're telling me after 13 years of playing GTA I'm not a true GTA fan, because I actually like GTA IV and don't consider it to be the worst in the series?

We shouldn't even respond to him from now on. I don't even take him seriously anymore. Nothing but negativity.

I was put on IV for the first time in forever. I love NY but I was bored. The city is relatively a ghost town and mostly, they failed to give it any life. Midtown is poor, the downtown neighborhoods (Tribeca, LES, etc) were totally cut out and Soho, Little Italy, and the Meatpacking district lacked identity and life as did Brooklyn and Queens (somewhat). On top of that, I wish they had dove more into the corporate world more than just a couple missions. NY is more gloomy than Miami or California but at least there, they captured the vibe and implemented fun. LA is easier to parody and "live it up" but still, LC was just lifeless and an endless series of shadows and vacant streets.

Have u ever play SR3? I assure that game is 100% lifeless. But I don't hate that game cause it's fun game. But GTAIV? I don't think so. For all I know that series is the most realistic and alive Open world game ever made.

iGrandTheftAuto

I think IV was well done, but with no feeling of life in the city. Beyond that the story wasn't very good or interesting, and the characters, most of them were annoying.

user posted image

What are you talking about? 9/11 was hilarious, and GTA IV would've been far more funny if you could recreate the 9/11 attacks. Thank god for the PC version, though, we have mods that enable us to have a good laugh while flying planes into WTC.

I hope you're not serious.

YankeesPwnMets

im glad it did not have planes or look like nyc. If it looked like nyc they may of included the world trade center. And too many inmature A**holes would play games and fly into the WTC. Im glad they made the map like that. Too many stupid little kids now adays that think its funny what happened on 911. So many people died in horrible ways and they could do nothing about it. People got blown up, they burned, they fell, they were pulverized when the tower fell... Im glad it did not look like NYC.

A. THe game is set in 08. The towers collapsed in 01.

B. No, none of the buildings survived the tower collapse. All seven WTC buildings as well as teh subway stations underneath were destroyed.

C. Building 7 has been rebuilt, but WTC 1 has not been finished yet (Though I can see it on the Brooklyn Bridge)

D. @the poster above: Staten Island is boring. Its just a bunch of trees, one prestigious high school and a mall. That is pretty much it.

E. @Nihilanth1982: You've obviously never been to New York before.....

F.

Kidding or not, that is a completely immature, pathetic joke that a bag of rocks wouldn't find funny. I suggest you quit trying to be a comedian. If I threw your mom into those burning towers, she probably would have went through hell that day. But, I am still sure that you would have found that funny as well, because you are an incompetent piece of trash.