R* did a poor job of replicating NYC?

mcstupidfun

I was put on IV for the first time in forever. I love NY but I was bored. The city is relatively a ghost town and mostly, they failed to give it any life. Midtown is poor, the downtown neighborhoods (Tribeca, LES, etc) were totally cut out and Soho, Little Italy, and the Meatpacking district lacked identity and life as did Brooklyn and Queens (somewhat). On top of that, I wish they had dove more into the corporate world more than just a couple missions. NY is more gloomy than Miami or California but at least there, they captured the vibe and implemented fun. LA is easier to parody and "live it up" but still, LC was just lifeless and an endless series of shadows and vacant streets.

Harwood Butch3r

I thought it was fine. As Gwonam said it wasn't meant to be a replica of NYC. It was R*'s own interpretation of it.

Same as all the other cities that they've done but it was lifeless, compared to NY or VC and SA

im glad it did not have planes or look like nyc. If it looked like nyc they may of included the world trade center. And too many inmature A**holes would play games and fly into the WTC. Im glad they made the map like that. Too many stupid little kids now adays that think its funny what happened on 911. So many people died in horrible ways and they could do nothing about it. People got blown up, they burned, they fell, they were pulverized when the tower fell... Im glad it did not look like NYC.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Harwood Butch3r

Same as all the other cities that they've done but it was lifeless, compared to NY or VC and SA

What do you mean by "lifeless" exactly? Everytime I play GTA IV it feels like I'm playing in a real city.

Some people just have a different way of interpreting things I guess, but I didn't see anything wrong with it.

im glad it did not have planes or look like nyc. If it looked like nyc they may of included the world trade center. And too many inmature A**holes would play games and fly into the WTC. Im glad they made the map like that. Too many stupid little kids now adays that think its funny what happened on 911. So many people died in horrible ways and they could do nothing about it. People got blown up, they burned, they fell, they were pulverized when the tower fell... Im glad it did not look like NYC.

How? IV is set in 2008. The towers collapsed in 2001.

Yl8KS.jpg

How? IV is set in 2008. The towers collapsed in 2001.

um but the site survived, and 7wtc was completed in 2006 and tower 1 was half built 2008. It would of been there. They cut them out fully. They shortend the area. And the 2 footprints of the twins where being filled with concrete for the memorial. It would of been there.

Edited by ccrogers15
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

What do you mean by "lifeless" exactly? Everytime I play GTA IV it feels like I'm playing in a real city.

Some people just have a different way of interpreting things I guess, but I didn't see anything wrong with it.

For starters its not as busy it should be. On top of that, they cut out alot of important neighborhoods that have strong identities. The city as a whole just kinda lacks a personality and its own vibe like Los Santos and Vice City had. NY/LC isn't sunny and as glamourous but it still has a "personality" that they didn't capture.

Miami makes you feel a certain way; Vice City totally got that.

LA makes you feel a certain way depending on where you are; Los Santos caught that

NYC truly gives you a vibe (refer to Empire State of Mind) and each burrough and neighborhood as its own thing; LC failed to deliver that for the most part.

Hope that makes sense.

IMO, the Vice City map was a fail. The game had the feeling of Miami with the missions, characters, the soundtrack...

But the map itselp was crappy.

San Andreas had a better map, even if Las Venturas is a bit boring if you leave the Strip... (like in the real life finally).

I felt Liberty City was rather dull. The boroughs (with the except of Alderney) lacked variation in themselves. Broker was brown houses and tenements. Dukes was townhouses. Bohan was dirty. Algonquin was tall. Very few of the neighbourhoods had a distinct flavour, Star Junction being one of the few, it all just felt the same. I didn't learn the city like I did with previous games.

Still had fun though.

Over six million people a year die from starvation, so I guess you must have a major problem with GTA 3 because we have no option to eat in that game.

Would people just put the 9/11 attacks behind themselves, it has been more than ten years since that now, jeez. Besides, Liberty City is set in 2008, the new WTC1 was just a little stump at the time and the WTC7 is unrecognizable.

EDIT:

So many people died in 9/11 and did not have a choice. People who die of starvation can eat sand, leaves, bugs and other stuff. its not our fault they choose to live in huts in africa. Or whatever.

Edited by ccrogers15

EDIT:

So many people died in 9/11 and did not have a choice. People who die of starvation can eat sand, leaves, bugs and other stuff. its not our fault they choose to live in huts in africa. Or whatever.

Gandhi would be touched. You are an example of why we should be proud of ourselves as humans.

I think they did a perfect job with the city. It did have the feel of NYC and it was incredibly lifelike as well. I can't fault them at all for what they did with the map. I, personally, thought it was great.

I think big fans of GTA 3 like GTA 4 the most. I know that is the case for me. R* went above and beyond with the overall design of the game. It is an artistic masterpiece, just like their other installments. People tend to be critical of the most trivial things because they are comparing it with the game that they love; namely San Andreas. But, what seems to escape these gamers is that something drastic changes in every consecutive game. In GTA 4's case it was the realism and in doing that, R* felt that some of the more silly stuff had to take a back seat. Doing that made GTA 4 THE most real to life sandbox game to date. Those who could appreciate that did. Those who wanted more fantasy didn't.

i like GTA 4s LC better, but i will NEVER like any other GTA games "rebooted" sanandreas map. Gta 5 will never beat GTA SA`s version of the map, especially if its only gonna be LS.

Harwood Butch3r

I think big fans of GTA 3 like GTA 4 the most.

Not necessarily true. Before GTA IV came out as my username suggests I was and still am a huge fan of VC. I was actually glad when VC came out, because compared to the cold, dreary and gloomy LC in GTA III I was glad to see the rear end of it.

Now here comes the funny part, I actually liked the cold, dreary and gloomy atmosphere in GTA IV. I don't know what it was, but after VC everytime I played GTA III I always felt like I was in a bad mood and it gave me that "flu" like feeling you get during winter. It could never cheer me up.

Now with GTA IV on the other hand I can play both back to back and it's not a problem at all. In reality both games are polar opposites to eachother, but I love both as one in the same.

It's not always the big fans of GTA III who love GTA IV. You get the VC nuts like me that love it aswell. wink.gif

Edited by Miamivicecity

Not necessarily true. Before GTA IV came out as my username suggests I was and still am a huge fan of VC. I was actually glad when VC came out, because compared to the cold, dreary and gloomy LC in GTA III I was glad to see the rear end of it.

Now here comes the funny part, I actually liked the cold, dreary and gloomy atmosphere in GTA IV. I don't know what it was, but after VC everytime I played GTA III I always felt like I was in a bad mood and it gave me that "flu" like feeling you get during winter. It could never cheer me up.

Now with GTA IV on the other hand I can play both back to back and it's not a problem at all. In reality both games are polar opposites to eachother, but I love both as one in the same.

It's not always the big fans of GTA III who love GTA IV. You get the VC nuts like me that love it aswell. wink.gif

I apologize. I don't like to sound like an absolutist. I was merely generalizing. Of course there are going to be people who like different styles. I for instance like GTA3, VC, SA, 4, and have not doubt, 5. I read other peoples quarls and I categorize. But you are right. There is no right answer to subjective questions.

Harwood Butch3r

I apologize. I don't like to sound like an absolutist. I was merely generalizing. Of course there are going to be people who like different styles. I for instance like GTA3, VC, SA, 4, and have not doubt, 5. I read other peoples quarls and I categorize. But you are right. There is no right answer to subjective questions.

No need to apologize mate. I knew exactly what you're trying to say. Really all GTA games have something I like about them.

There's not a single one I don't like in some way, or another. wink.gif

Edited by Miamivicecity

No need to apologize mate. I knew exactly what you're trying to say. Really all GTA games have something I like about them.

There's not a single one I don't like in some way, or another. wink.gif

Of course. biggrin.gif

EDIT:

You know what, I apoligize, you're absolutely right.

Next time I see a starving african child I will walk up to them and say "Pfft, you could have chosen to be concieved by a white family from a developed country. It's not my fault you made a stupid choice."

Anyway, excuse me for dragging off topic. I felt Rockstar did a great job at replicating the atmosphere of the city, thats for sure. Geographically they were never looking for anything pin point exact, but I think they threw in just the right amount of recognisable landmarks in the space they had.

Harwood Butch3r
Anyway, excuse me for dragging off topic. I felt Rockstar did a great job at replicating the atmosphere of the city, thats for sure. Geographically they were never looking for anything pin point exact, but I think they threw in just the right amount of recognisable landmarks in the space they had.

I agree. I feel it was the best they could do without downloading a NYC map off Google maps and creating GTA IV based on that.

spaceeinstein

Is having 1/5 of the entire landmass being airport and beaches really feel like Miami? Have you been to Miami? Compared to R*'s past two renditions of LC, IV's LC is by far the best representation of NYC. As said before, it's not meant to replicate NYC, it's meant to be an interpretation of the city. It is also not fair to blame R* for a poor job due to technical limitations. Is it even possible to have size and detail at the same time back in '07-'08?

Edited by spaceeinstein

Is having 1/5 of the entire landmass being airport and beaches really feel like Miami? Have you been to Miami? Compared to R*'s past two renditions of LC, IV's LC is by far the best representation of NYC. As said before, it's not meant to replicate NYC, it's meant to be an interpretation of the city. It is also not fair to blame R* for a poor job due to technical limitations. Is it even possible to have size and detail at the same time back in '07-'08?

Fair point about the landmass but I feel like VC has the best atmosphere.

I think Liberty City was great!!