Is the mountain in the trailer Mount Chiliad?

LucasV

This is the mountain showed in the GTA V debut trailer:

user posted image

A lot of people here were saying that it's Mount Chiliad from GTA San Andreas. That's what I thought too. Let's take another look:

user posted image

GTA Wikia: "Mount Chiliad is a 2,000 foot tall mountain located in Whetstone, San Andreas. It is reportedly based upon the real-life Mount Diablo in Contra Costa County, California.

Here's a photo of Mount Diablo:

user posted image

GTA Wikia continues: "Immediately to the north is the bustling metropolis of San Fierro". And Wikipedia says: "Mount Diablo is a mountain in Contra Costa County, California in the San Francisco Bay Area". That made me think: if the mountain we saw in the trailer really is Mount Chiliad, the mountain based on Mount Diablo, then it's very likely GTA V will feature San Fierro.

I Google Mapped it and look at how close Mount Diablo is to San Francisco: see it for yourself. The mountain, assuming that it's Mount Chiliad/Mount Diablo, is in real life only 40 miles away from San Francisco. That's so close that Rockstar must have created San Fierro nearby the mountain. Can you imagine a mission in which you go hiking (like the guy with the girls in the trailer) and when you reach the top you discover San Fierro on the other side?

Also, according to Google Maps it's 6 hours driving (350 miles) from Los Angeles to Contra Costa, while Las Vegas is about 4 hours (250 miles) away from LA. So Las Venturas should be closer to Los Santos than the mountain. Why put the mountain in the game and not Las Venturas? I think there is still a chance that we will see Los Santos + San Fierro + Las Venturas. Remember, the first trailer from GTA San Andreas only showed Los Santos too. Plus, the trailer showed interstate highways, planes and even an ultra fast fighter jet.

What I'm basically saying is or it's Mount Chiliad and there's a high possibility that San Fierro exists or it's a different mountain, but who can tell me if there's another large mountain like that near Los Angeles?

By the way, Rockstar level designers on a "road trip".

user posted image

2008 trip:

USA Roadtrip 2008:After 2 years working weekends and evenings Rockstar gave us 5 weeks paid time off work. We decided on a road trip from New York to San Francisco.

Las Vegas

San Francisco

Los Angeles

2010 trip:

USA 2010 Trip:Lee, Stu, DJ and I hit Las Vegas, visit the Rockstars in San Diego, continue to Los Angeles and add the full stop in San Francisco.

Las Venturas

San Francisco

Los Angeles

user posted image

(this has been posted by Chevy Chasegta6 in the Genesis topic, credit goes to him)

Same trip with the same people, twice! So don't give up hopes yet, the next trailer will reveal if it's Los Santos only or San Andreas.

Edited by LucasV

possibly, hard to tell though because of the angles and the new graphics, but if it is Mt chiliad then san fierro i think will certainly feature

A detailed topic but, im not really sure what for?

To discuss if thats mount chilliad?

SIG-2.jpg

08LasVenturas

suicidal.gif Please, realize that there are more than one mountains in California. I see no proof that it's Mt. Chiliad.

user posted image

A big gangsta picture to make you believe that it's not San Fierro's Mount Chilliad.

5 Protagonists Prove/Theory

"Guns don't kill people, death kills people! Ask a doctor, it's a medical fact, you can't die from a bullet." - Gun Advocate from Chatterbox FM.

A detailed topic but, im not really sure what for?

To discuss if thats mount chilliad?

Yes, to discuss

- if it is Mount Chiliad and if that means we will see San Fierro

- if it isn't Mount Chilliad and if there are other moutains in Southern California that it could be based on

I think it might be Mt. Chiliad because of the supposed 'flag' on top that you can see in the GTA V trailer. I remember San Andreas having something similar and if I recall, there was even a racing mission with bycicles starting from the top of Mt. Chiliad. I can definitely see something like that, that flag or banner on top would probably the start or one of the checkpoints.

But Rockstar just confirmed it will be only Los Santos with a bunch of countryside (which I actually think it's a bad idea). Or wait... maybe they just say that as a strategy... or if not, well, Rockstar CAN'T make such a mistake, if they do it like that they know why. But if we talk about whole San Andreas, then it's very possible that that's Chilliad.

@DawidZnawca: OK, I understand, LA is surrounded by mountains. Still, I think those mountains look different than the mountain in the trailer. Maybe it's just me, but I get more Chilliad kinda vibes from the mountain in the trailer.

user posted image

user posted image

The trees you see in the trailer look like Douglas spruces. Are the mountains surrounding LA overgrown with spruces?

Another thing: Google "LA mountains" and every picture shows ice on top. I don't see ice on the peak of the mountain in the trailer.

@Dale Nixon:

user posted image

Edited by LucasV

This is going to be a "radical reinvention" of Los Santos apparently like what GTA IV did with Liberty City. So even if that mountain is known as Mt. Chiliad it in no way confirms any existence of San Fierro in this game. The entire map might look very different to what GTA: SA looked like.

Harwood Butch3r

Guys it's going to be a new map. It could be any mountain. I'm getting a gut feeling that Los Santos + plus the surrounding hills and countryside is going to geographical look somewhat similar to the old SA, but mostly restructured.

I wouldn't be holding my breath for San Fierro to be behind those mountains.

Well, there's still a chance we could see more than just Southern California. It would be very nice.

I think it might be Mt. Chiliad because of the supposed 'flag' on top that you can see in the GTA V trailer. I remember San Andreas having something similar and if I recall, there was even a racing mission with bycicles starting from the top of Mt. Chiliad. I can definitely see something like that, that flag or banner on top would probably the start or one of the checkpoints.

Could be indeed!

It has also been said that the mountain is based on Mount Whitney.

user posted image

Mount Whitney is located here. Is it in Southern California or Nothern California?

John The Grudge

This reminds me of the Carcer City section in GTA III. You could fly the Dodo there (though it wasn't solid). It was from the intro to the game. I can see people trying to find ways to overcome some seemingly impassable obstacle to get to a hidden part of the map in GTA V.

He just turns around, he could be looking at anything. Secondly, I don't see snow on top of the mountain in the trailer.

Not Mount Chilliad for sure since the entire LS map MAY be re-imagined and worked out in a different way. Most likely NO! cool.gif

Original Light

Nice find, but go to Grandtheftwiki.com instead, the community has moved. Anyone still there is a lone wolf.

This reminds me of the Carcer City section in GTA III. You could fly the Dodo there (though it wasn't solid). It was from the intro to the game. I can see people trying to find ways to overcome some seemingly impassable obstacle to get to a hidden part of the map in GTA V.

Was that ever actually confirmed?

It looks just like a chunk of unsolid Liberty City that people randomly speculated it was Carcer City.

I believe it is Mount Chiliad... but as with most of Los Santos, it'll be re-designed to look very different from the Mount Chiliad we knew in SA.

It gotta be this:

user posted image

He even look back, and down too the city at the trailer.

Maybe he turned around cause he saw Bigfoot mercie_blink.gif

This might be kinda off topic but the doesn't the guy in the middle of the 2 people in the pic of the mountain look like one of the Multiplayer characters you Unlock on Ballad Of Gay Tony?

Cause to me it looks just like it.

Anyways I think the Mountain would be Mount Chilliad, because it would be kinda odd for them to add a whole new mountain like that in GTA V, because if thats not Mount Chilliad, then they would of prolly put the mountain it San Andres.... But thats me.

My guess is that its Mount Chilliad.

When I saw that mountain scene, I did think to myself that it was Mount Chiliad.

I think it will be part of Los Santos though, not another city.

There will be NO San Fiero! That may be Mt. Chiliad but it's not going to be the same one as in GTA SA. People need to understand that this is NOT GTA: SA. This is a completely new game. If there is a Mt. Chiliad it doesn't mean there has to be a San Fiero. I doubt it will even be called Mt. Chiliad. Nothing in IV was named the same as III except the air port.

It very well could be the same mountain. Both versions do have some similarities, but to be fair, so do a lot of mountains in existence.

Very good find, though.

They're likely to be the based on the San Jacinto Mountains, not exactly on the foot of LA but near enough

"The San Jacinto Mountains are a mountain range east of Los Angeles in southern California in the United States"

user posted image

They're likely to be the based on the San Jacinto Mountains, not exactly on the foot of LA but near enough

"The San Jacinto Mountains are a mountain range east of Los Angeles in southern California in the United States"

user posted image

BUT there is no snow on the top of this mountain in the trailer.