Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,382 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Gifbrah

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

zombie elvis

user posted image

Possible rail lines in Los Santos.

Is there a super-clean version of the map floating around? I might try and analyse it a bit more. I don't think anyone has tried picking out railways just yet.

Most of those are metro lines, probably subway ones. Not sure about the one on the far right, I think it's for freight rail, it runs up both sides of the river and both sides curve round to the south east, you can see one coming in on the east side one in trailer 2. (Not sure where they go, maybe some tunnels don't show up on the map)

This is the best copy I've seen.

http://savepic.org/3479266.png

Edit:

This is what I think I can make out for the out of city rail. Union Station should be in the green area.

user posted image

Edited by zombie elvis

ainsz

The road I marked red that heads south on the revealed map was bugging me so I went through all the screenshots and found this.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Judging by the sign posts and the fact that it is a freeway/highway, I say that red road is definitely heading somewhere out of town. Which would mean the map does indeed continue south.

Edited by ainsz

kesta195

Yeah I also remembered the highway/freeway going south under the GD Bridge. I really don't get where it could lead though, as there are no roads curving west or east around the bottom of the city.

freakydude20
Yeah I also remembered the highway/freeway going south under the GD Bridge. I really don't get where it could lead though, as there are no roads curving west or east around the bottom of the city.

It will probably lead to some docks, just like in GTA SA:

user posted image

(Right corner)

InternetKillTV

I almost feel like Los Santos is almost exclusively made out of highways at this point. There's so many!

kesta195

It will probably lead to some docks, just like in GTA SA

Yeah definitely, but it's just strange that the hwy/fwy just seems to end there, instead of looping around and 'resurfacing' from the bottom of the blueprint map somewhere else.

ChillyPhilly

Take 2.

Orange lines are the 'thicker' ones on the heist map.

Blue lines are the 'thinner' (mostly plain white) lines on the map.

user posted image

Yeah definitely, but it's just strange that the hwy/fwy just seems to end there, instead of looping around and 'resurfacing' from the bottom of the blueprint map somewhere else.

There are definitely more docks there. I find it interesting that such a major road of Los Santos leads to them, however. You can see a long ship at the bottom edge of the map, to the east of the road.

Edited by ChillyPhilly

Scorp1o

I'm hoping someone in here could help me out seeing as there's lots of intelligent map reading folk in here. colgate.gif

The first thing I wanted to do in GTAV is try and find the street of were our first safe house was from back in GTA San Andreas, the dead end street with the circle in the end. But I can't seem to find in on the official piece of the map given by Rockstar. That is if R* implemented the street in GTAV. Would be strange if they didn't. monocle.gif

VIPΣR

Yep. Looks like there is a big land area in the south of Los Santos, that we haven't seen yet. That area might be big.

freakydude20
I'm hoping someone in here could help me out seeing as there's lots of intelligent map reading folk in here. colgate.gif

The first thing I wanted to do in GTAV is try and find the street of were our first safe house was from back in GTA San Andreas, the dead end street with the circle in the end. But I can't seem to find in on the official piece of the map given by Rockstar. That is if R* implemented the street in GTAV. Would be strange if they didn't. monocle.gif

Yeah, I think they will at least make a reference to Grove Street. It's pretty hard to see on this map, because the quality isn't too good and of course you can't zoom in.

RockStarNiko

user posted image

This question for everyone

Looking at that blueprint, approximately how wide is the city in KM?

San Andreas was 6 km wide

ainsz
I'm hoping someone in here could help me out seeing as there's lots of intelligent map reading folk in here.  colgate.gif

The first thing I wanted to do in GTAV is try and find the street of were our first safe house was from back in GTA San Andreas, the dead end street with the circle in the end. But I can't seem to find in on the official piece of the map given by Rockstar. That is if R* implemented the street in GTAV. Would be strange if they didn't.  monocle.gif

Yeah, I think they will at least make a reference to Grove Street. It's pretty hard to see on this map, because the quality isn't too good and of course you can't zoom in.

There are two cul de sac streets in the city. Whether or not they are a throwback to Grove street or not isn't known. You can see them quite clearly in the picture used for the pre order bonus blimp.

Von_Von

Many Maps after I still believe that we, including magazines and pro bloggers, are being teased big time, and there are a lot more to show. 2 years in "official" development, tons of comments, mistery delays, next gen machines, wake up, the big could be even bigger.

lerche88

I just noticed that some roads that end in a Cul-de-Sac in screenshots don't end in a Cul-de-Sac on the blueprint map.

We could be looking at Grove street right now. We just don't have any screenshots to prove it's there. It should be, though.

user posted image

user posted image

JOSEPH X

Anyone have any theories on what this could be that runs thru the ghetto?

user posted image

Could be a metro line, but as this is a blueprint map, it could also be highlighting storm drains. follow it and it leads into the LS river.

ChillyPhilly

Read this first:

My work on determining certain distances in Los Santos

Several users, including deffpony, agreed with this.

Now that we have a legitimate Los Santos map, we can work out a scale.

I hate page stretching, but obviously didn't want to compromise this. Thankfully it hasn't destroyed the thread lol.gif

The line on the map (between the Sierra Tower and US Bank Tower) is 160 pixels. I simply replicated that.

160 pixels = ~1450 metres, or 0.9 miles.

user posted image

GTAaLEX117

@ChillyPhilly So how big do you think the whole city is overall?

ChillyPhilly
@ChillyPhilly So how big do you think the whole city is overall?

Hard to say. I've been pressed for time in recent months so haven't had time to do a full-scale analysis. Soon I'll have some free time. Overall I'm leaning towards 25 square miles of playable area, 30 at the max, and maybe even pushing that if Rockstar indeed do have a surprise up their sleeves.

RockStarNiko
Read this first:

I hate page stretching, but obviously didn't want to compromise this. Thankfully it hasn't destroyed the thread lol.gif

The line on the map (between the Sierra Tower and US Bank Tower) is 160 pixels. I simply replicated that.

user posted image

I don't think we can use landmarks to judge the size of the city

I just used compared the size of the LS forum to the real life LA forum

LS forum in screenshot was 60 pixels and the LA forum is ~150 metres

So 600 pixels would be 1.5 km

The green line represents 1.5 km on the blueprint

user posted image

Even i don't think LS is THAT small tounge.gif

Boss7dm
I just noticed that some roads that end in a Cul-de-Sac in screenshots don't end in a Cul-de-Sac on the blueprint map.

We could be looking at Grove street right now. We just don't have any screenshots to prove it's there. It should be, though.

user posted image

user posted image

look at this, LS is huge

The Hate

Read this first:

[map]

user posted image

I scaled that image into Google Sketchup and drew a rough outline of what I think are the city limits

Using the area calculator, the city is estimated to be 316.4 million square feet or 11.3 square miles/29.4 square km

This estimate is based on the assumption that the given scale is correct and that the referenced buildings are placed correctly on the map

zombie elvis

Anyone have any theories on what this could be that runs thru the ghetto?

user posted image

Could be a metro line, but as this is a blueprint map, it could also be highlighting storm drains. follow it and it leads into the LS river.

I think that's an overground Metro line but there's no evidence tounge.gif

It looks like there is a storm drain running in the same direction further south west in the gap between the stadium and the streets. It might join up to the sea at both ends but I'm not sure.

In real LA, there is a drain to the marina, and a drain running NW from the harbor, so they might have joined them together.

user posted image

Edited by zombie elvis

ChillyPhilly

It's a tricky thing to judge. But we're still getting a big city, just not 'Los Angeles' big.

Fatty Roman

This is great! And i like how the people in here actual discuss ideas and not just quote and disagree with someone elses statement without reading it like in that dumbass size thread.

ChillyPhilly

As for rail lines.. let's not forget about this. Where does this fit exactly?

user posted image

ChillyPhilly
As for rail lines.. let's not forget about this. Where does this fit exactly?

http://media.gtanet.com/gallery/gta-5-trai...railer2_031.jpg

If you see where the red line and the black line cross on my map, it's near there looking SW.

Ah, of course. For some reason I was trying to place it on the red line. It's 1.50am here, cut me some slack in advance lol.gif

ILS_Supernova

Hey all,

I have read this amazing thread since the start, and have to first say how amazing the work is. I very rarely add replies or make topics, as I rather just see how the game pans out in September.

I decided to add this reply because I see that most have decided the GTA V map will be a island? Has R* confirmed it as a island or any reviews?

Me I really think that the map will take a page from RDR with maybe the north, east and west landlocked. The water will be the ocean in the south, lakes and rivers placed around the map.

This is what I think anyway, I'm sure others will trash this but I really think they might landlock sides of the map this time as I didnt find it that bad in RDR.

Cheers for reading anyway . .thoughts?

Choco Taco
Read this first:

http://i.imgur.com/Kr9fSeT.jpg?1

I think that's too big. If the distance between the Bank Tower and Sierra Tower is .9 miles, that would make the total blueprint area over 70 square miles.