Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums! (92,453 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Gifbrah

Mapping Los Santos! Building/landmark analysis

VLongo92
It obviously has to be the US Route 101 (Pacific highway).

No

zombie elvis
BRIDGE

Well spotted.

So Zancudo could pop out there even..

Fido_le_muet

I believe this area is right between the two rivers surrounding Mt Zancudo, as seen on the west on Kiwi's map.

My opinion on this is that the road bridge visible on the motorcycle scene in trailer 2 is right behind the tunnel

on this new Epsilon screen.

And the mouth of the Zancudo river is behind us on that shot, behind the camera.

Looks like we have our first look at the western shore of the map.

And that road on the right may very well be a recreation of the Pacific Coast Highway.

May I remind you that the bridge in the dirtbike scene is a look alike of the Bixby Bridge which is located

right between LA and San Francisco in real life. Which is more or less in the middle of the Californian Coast.

Hence the (maybe) change of scenery and colder feel of the climate.

iNero

if u look at it ( even if they changed setting for epsilon) this doesnt fit to zancudo at all. zancudo was desert and on this screen is snow. that would make absolutly no sense

Mr. Darko

^

Dammit, it's not snowy. It's just a blue filter they applied to it because that's the whole Epsilon screensaver color scheme. It's like an animated watermark. You're not going to get snow anywhere at sea level in California.

darkdayz
^

Dammit, it's not snowy. It's just a blue filter they applied to it because that's the whole Epsilon screensaver color scheme. It's like an animated watermark. You're not going to get snow anywhere at sea level in California.

You try and make dirt white with a colour filter, it doesn't happen.

Tradan
^

I believe it's just the sun light

iNero

i was thinking about seaons for a very short period of time when watching this.

either way. it might be the sun but it was defenitly adjusted to the epsilon style and its not a filter.

probably increased brightness alot

TheIllaDopest
^

i think thats mostly rock (which is greyish) not dirt. The blue filter is soothing.

GTAKiwi

Maybe not.  You could still be right.  Looking at lxr's pic -

user posted image

The Vinewood Hills in the bottom picture look similar to the ones in the top pictures, but they're not perfect.  From the top pic down, the camera is moving west.  In the bottom picture, the Griffith Hills should be longer than the Vinewood Hills.  I was thinking maybe the N Griffith Hill in the bottom picture is actually Griffith Hill and N Griffith Hill could be hidden behind Rockford Hill.  I'm really not sure either way.

Looking at that picture lxr made again, and going by what you and Fido have said, you're probably right, and my map is actually right. But... Read my reply to Fido below.

I have it the same way as you do.

user posted image

I can get that line pointed at the Vinewood mountain, but the big problem is getting the mountain with the dam ("P" on your map) completely hidden from view from that spot.  I'd have to take a lot of size off the east of the city.

I even tested it out on gtamodeller's map since I figure his points are better positioned than mine.  I can't get "P" behind "B".  No matter what I try, "P" would be visible in this picture - http://media.rockstargames.com/rockstargam..._1364387865.jpg

Yeah that's probably right, it's just that the near 90 degree freeway turn near the dishes through me out when I saw how far away it is from the Vinewood Hill in that new picture.

If it's any consolation, I think the same as you.

The names of the mountains are perfectly fine with me as I was disagreeing with lxr about that last week^^

To me, the gap you see between the slope of Rockford Hill (B on your map), and the three peaks on the left (Vinewood, W Vinewood and Griffith aka P for you) is where the freeway goes.

I 100% agree with you on this wink.gif

What if 'Vinewood Hill' is 'Hill P' on my map, and 'W Vinewood Hill' is actually 'Vinewood Hill', and 'N Griffith Hill' is 'W Vinewood Hill' in the bottom

picture that lxr made? It's just that the east side of the Vinewood Hill looks like it has a steeper slope than the Rockford Hill in the bottom picture,

of lxr's picture. If what you say, and how I already have it on my map is true, then I still have a muck up on my map. Los Santos and the hills to

the east, and north-west of the city need to be rotated clockwise a bit.

Maybe the freeway doesn't go through that gap at all, maybe it bends up behind hill P on my map, and that's how we get that view from picture 15

on my map. Maybe it goes down behind the mountains to the east of Los Santos and connects up to the city down near the docks? Or maybe the

freeway splits into two freeways, one goes into the top of Los Santos, and the other goes down east of the hills of Los Santos. Or maybe it just has

some more turns before it connects to the top of Los Santos.

Raavi

Here's hoping for it being Santa Catalina.

Mr. Darko

^

It also has increased exposure. However, look at the texture. Particularly on the island nearer to the camera, it clearly has dryish grass covering the non-rocky parts. Besides, it just physically is not possible for things to get that cold in SoCal that they get snowy at sea level. That doesn't happen either. And seeing as R* is trying to recreate the feel, climate, and geography of the area, I highly doubt they feel that would be an acceptable break from reality.

And when you watch the actual time cycle video, you can see that the textures do not have the properties of snow. Only in that particular still does it look anything remotely like it being icy and snowy, which I admit it does in that particular still until you look more closely.

It really is not that difficult to tell that it's a stylistic choice simply for the purposes of the screensaver. And this is important because we would have no way to place this area on the map for this thread if we do not understand this, considering the extreme climate change that would have to be taken into account if it actually were cold and snowy.

Just for fun:

user posted image

Edited by Mr. Darko

hulkhogan1

As someone who lives in SoCal near LA and has driven along PCH, that shot with the mountain and the road in the background definitely looks like the right kind of area for a northwestern area of the map. Like someone mentioned, it could very well be Catalina as well. But I'm leaning more towards being part of the main land, due to the other mountain shot from the trailer that looks like it could be a shot of the other side of the same mountain. Though I'll admit, the road tunnel and the lighthouse definitely throws me off a bit, because I can't think of anywhere those things would exist in that part of SoCal. Maybe they just added some elements of NoCal in some areas for fun? (though that doesn't really fit in with the SoCal theme they're going for).

On a side note, have we established where this area would be located?

user posted image

It doesn't look like it would be part of Los Santos. Judging by the geography in the background, it looks more like it would be some sort San Bernardino looking town. We haven't really seen much of what the map could look like east of Los Santos and south of the desert. Perhaps this could be somewhere in that area?

Boss7dm
As someone who lives in SoCal near LA and has driven along PCH, that shot with the mountain and the road in the background definitely looks like the right kind of area for a northwestern area of the map. Like someone mentioned, it could very well be Catalina as well. But I'm leaning more towards being part of the main land, due to the other mountain shot from the trailer that looks like it could be a shot of the other side of the same mountain. Though I'll admit, the road tunnel and the lighthouse definitely throws me off a bit, because I can't think of anywhere those things would exist in that part of SoCal. Maybe they just added some elements of NoCal in some areas for fun? (though that doesn't really fit in with the SoCal theme they're going for).

user posted image

It doesn't look like it would be part of Los Santos. Judging by the geography in the background, it looks more like it would be some sort San Bernardino looking town. We haven't really seen much of what the map could look like east of Los Santos and south of the desert. Perhaps this could be somewhere in that area?

i think is Mount Chilliad n that screenshot

hulkhogan1

^ Yeah, I was thinking that mountain could be it.

Also, does anyone think it's interesting that this whole "one weeks time" thing will bring us to the exact 5 year anniversary of GTA IV?

omawnakw

user posted image

This screenshot reminds me Dillimore from SA http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2011...5/Dillimore.jpg. So maybe it is just behind the hill from LS?

Also i think we see the sun is setting on this shot, so west is behind Trevor's back.

Choco Taco

What if 'Vinewood Hill' is 'Hill P' on my map, and 'W Vinewood Hill' is actually 'Vinewood Hill', and 'N Griffith Hill' is 'W Vinewood Hill' in the bottom

picture that lxr made? It's just that the east side of the Vinewood Hill looks like it has a steeper slope than the Rockford Hill in the bottom picture,

of lxr's picture.

It's possible, but it looks like the 2 peaks on the left are connected.

user posted image

Tampinha85

You know..about the possibility of the map being an island, where would the highways go to? and train tracks as well

ShotGunRain
You know..about the possibility of the map being an island, where would the highways go to? and train tracks as well

In circles?

RedShotBR

Big-ass pic

This screenshot reminds me Dillimore from SA http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2011...5/Dillimore.jpg. So maybe it is just behind the hill from LS?

Also i think we see the sun is setting on this shot, so west is behind Trevor's back.

That area reminds me more of Whetstone actually, since it's a small town close to a mountain.

Tampinha85

In circles?

I thought about that, but it would be pretty lame...perhaps the map is a lot bigger than we think, i'd say we have only seen 30% of the map

Potato Warder

user posted image

Behind Trevor's head on the right, a sign says "BAY" and what seems to be "dry". Assuming this is a Dry Cleaners, then there's a bit left on this sign for something after the word Bay. Could it be Bay City? Like in the road sign that says Bay City Ave in the shot with Franklin on the bike (I know Bay City Ave is surely an avenue in LS, but would it be named after another significant location on the map?)

user posted image

Also, big round of applause for all the dedicated mappers on here. Well done.

TheYeast

I could be totally wrong but the last scene in the screen saver shows the sun rising over the ocean. Doesn't the sun rise in the east? Does this answer the island question or give anything to shaping the map?

TheIllaDopest

user posted image

Behind Trevor's head on the right, a sign says "BAY" and what seems to be "dry". Assuming this is a Dry Cleaners, then there's a bit left on this sign for something after the word Bay. Could it be Bay City? Like in the road sign that says Bay City Ave in the shot with Franklin on the bike (I know Bay City Ave is surely an avenue in LS, but would it be named after another significant location on the map?)

user posted image

Also, big round of applause for all the dedicated mappers on here. Well done.

Bay City DRUGS (Rx gives it away) possibly

omawnakw

Someone sees a tunnel in the "rocks and water" video, but i believe there is just a house. I see four houses and the bridge.

user posted image

Animated gif:

user posted image

user posted image

ChocoFrosty

In circles?

I thought about that, but it would be pretty lame...perhaps the map is a lot bigger than we think, i'd say we have only seen 30% of the map

I thought San Andreas' map worked out fine as an island with highways and train tracks. Same with RDR's train.

Worthless thought: Technically, all the highways and railroad tracks on Earth eventually circle back or terminate somewhere. turn.gif

ChocoFrosty
Someone sees a tunnel in the "rocks and water" video, but i believe there is just a house. I see four houses and the bridge.

user posted image

Animated gif:

user posted image

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/1864/combination2i.jpg

I think you're right. icon14.gif

It would've been neat if it were a tunnel, though.

Fido_le_muet

Yeah, maybe that's not a tunnel after all.

Still hard to say if it is or if it isn't.

I'll go with the house thing for now.

I've been looking for lighthouses along the Californian & Oregon Coast but I can't find a single one that look

like the one in the screensaver. The closest match I got was the Los Angeles Harbor Light, in the LA Harbor.

Looks like a fictional lighthouses I guess.

EDIT : This one looks similar (because of the paint) but it's located all the way to Washington State, near Seattle so no.

Edited by Fido_le_muet

GourangaMaster

I've been looking for lighthouses along the Californian & Oregon Coast but I can't find a single one that look

like the one in the screensaver. The closest match I got was the Los Angeles Harbor Light, in the LA Harbor.

Looks like a fictional lighthouses I guess.

yeah ive been trying to find it aswell and coulnt find anything.

I stumbled upon this one and although it looks almost identical and is also on a bank away from the shore its not in cali. I saw SC in a link and thought it must be it but unfortunetly its in south carolina.

user posted image

user posted image

EDIT: added the screensaver lighthouse for comparison.

Edited by GourangaMaster

Threepwood

I think, what you call "bridge" ain't a bridge, but a standard concrete wall supporting the mountain side not throwing rocks on the road beneath it.