GTA IV HUGE problem with 4890

EvilEmperorZoRG

EvilEmperorZoRG

I own a very good gaming Desktop.

AMD Phenom X4 Quad Core {4-CORES} 9850 2.5GHz

ATI 4890 1GB GDDR5 256bit

4gb DDR2 1066MHz

600W PSU

2 hard disks 320{Windows - Games} and 750GB.

LG Flatron 192WS 1440X900 75Hz

Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit Service Pack 2 {fully updated}

ALL ATI DRIVERS UPDATED AND EVEN TRIED OLD ONES FROM GTA IV ERA AND SAW A VERY SMALL IMPROVEMENT.

So my PC is OBVIOUSLY capable of playing GTA IV, if not maxed out, then as much as my memory goes which is 1440x900 all high with anisotropic filtering on x16 and and view, detail, cars 100. And my memory is still green with 100mb free I think.

I can play Crysis 2, Metro 2033.... all these PC Killers maxed out on this resolution while getting 30-50 fps.

So let's go to me problem now.

I have both the retail version and the Steam version of GTA IV and EFLC. Well, when I enable night shadows and when I take view, detail distance above 25 my frames go very very low. Like 15-20, 25 at most and even below 15 some times.

It's strange you know. My rig is very good for games escpesially at this mid-resolution screen.

Now I perfectly know how bad ported GTA IV is and how much system intensive but I'd like to know if there's any solution. I even tried installing Windows 7 and XP but I saw no improvement. In XP it was even worse.

What can be done ?

Oh by the way, GTA IV goes that bad no matter what patch. Now I'm playing only on Steam with the latest patch installed mostly for Multiplayer.

NO MODS INSTALLED.

Please help !

Edited by EvilEmperorZoRG

Your pc is most definately NOT capable of maxing out this game. Hate to tell you but it is not a 'a very good gaming Desktop', isn't that cpu a dual core? You need a quad to play this game smoothly, also that card is not so great. ddr2 ram won't help either.

EvilEmperorZoRG

Your pc is most definately NOT capable of maxing out this game. Hate to tell you but it is not a 'a very good gaming Desktop', isn't that cpu a dual core? You need a quad to play this game smoothly, also that card is not so great. ddr2 ram won't help either.

Sorry to tell ya but I think you're kidding me. Just check what I told about Crysis 2 and Metroo 2033.

4gb DDR2 is not good ?LOL It costed me 150 euros back in 2008 when GTA IV came out. HUGE ram sticks I tell ya.

And no my CPU IS 4 COREs CPU. It can go way above 3.2GHz but there's no need yet. A friend with the same rig and 4850 plays the game A LOT better.

So again, something's wrong with the game.

4890 is not great ? You kidding me ? Best DX10.1 card from Ati EVER !

I really thought the 9850 was a dual core, sorry about that. And after some googling, I think the difference between DDR2 and DDR3 might be marginal, however, you most definately won't be able to max out this game, the old "but I can max out crysis 2..." won't fly when talking about GTAIV, its MUCH more cpu dependent (I have a quad core @3.2ghz, 4gb DDR3 ram and an ati 6850, I also can max out crysis 2 but I can not even dream about maxing out GTA4, forget about it. there are people in here with i7's and a gtx580 and 16gb ram who can't max out this game, forget about it.

Edited by Brainsick

You'll have to accept that your computer isn't as uber as you think, lets keep it at a pretty gaming rig wink.gif

IV might be old, but you just aren't going to max out this game.

Overclock your CPU as much as possible, that'll surely help.

Keep the sliders around or below 25, and the shadows medium-high.

Also, try googling 'GTA 4 commandline' and use it. It might give a nice boost (as it really did in my case).

EvilEmperorZoRG

I really thought the 9850 was a dual core, sorry about that. And after some googling, I think the difference between DDR2 and DDR3 might be marginal, however, you most definately won't be able to max out this game, the old "but I can max out crysis 2..." won't fly when talking about GTAIV, its MUCH more cpu dependent (I have a quad core @3.2ghz, 4gb DDR3 ram and an ati 6850, I also can max out crysis 2 but I can not even dream about maxing out GTA4, forget about it. there are people in here with i7's and a gtx580 and 16gb ram who can't max out this game, forget about it.

Yes I agree. Thing is, that when I had 3870 a year ago it was playing better on higher view/detail distances and night shadows on high.

Damn these f*cked up ports. 4890 is 10 times better than 3870. Anyway !

By the way, take a look at this video

Edited by EvilEmperorZoRG

GTAIV does not scale performance very well with resolution (among other settings) and that PC is definitively not capable of or maxing out this game, just forget about other games.

You should definitively keep draw distance below 20, use highres textures as those seem to perform better sometimes. Don't forget that performance is very weather dependent. For instance at times during clear nights I could hit 60FPS no problem, while foggy weather would bring performance down to a crawl at 15-20 fps.

EvilEmperorZoRG
GTAIV does not scale performance very well with resolution (among other settings) and that PC is definitively not capable of or maxing out this game, just forget about other games.

You should definitively keep draw distance below 20, use highres textures as those seem to perform better sometimes. Don't forget that performance is very weather dependent. For instance at times during clear nights I could hit 60FPS no problem, while foggy weather would bring performance down to a crawl at 15-20 fps.

I said it again since no one seems to care. It played MUCH BETTER with 3870. And I never said that I want this PC to max it out. It's the game though that has problems don't tell me your PC is not great for games.

Anyway, friendly always.

I never said this game doesn't have problems, it's a sh*tty mess. And due to consolization of gaming, no wonder you don't need better hardware to run most current games at high/max.

EvilEmperor: You can always try some commandlines, I know that -refreshrate 39 and -framelimit 1 made my lag and stuttering disappear completely I suggest you give it a try, but you'll have to lower your settings; put everything on high except shadows at medium and sliders on 25, set your resolution at 1280x1024 or something like that, give it a try.

-edit- I also suggest patch 4.

Do not overrate your computer, it doesn't look like it blows everything away.

This is your main problem. Switch to Vista 64-bit or 7-64bit to make full use of 5GB total RAM (VRAM+RAM). Now you're using just 3.2GB

EvilEmperorZoRG

Do not overrate your computer, it doesn't look like it blows everything away.

This is your main problem. Switch to Vista 64-bit or 7-64bit to make full use of 5GB total RAM (VRAM+RAM). Now you're using just 3.2GB

I said, i tried 7 64bit but no difference at all.