Reluctant Protagonist vs. Eager Protagonist

TheWetPartoftheArm

TheWetPartoftheArm

Would you rather have a protagonist similar to Niko who's trying to get away from his past and doesn't really want to get embroiled in trouble, or someone more ambitious like Tommy who wants to take over everything and wipe everyone out? The info surrounding the new protagonist is vague, in the trailer we're led to assume that he at least wants to try being a good guy for once, but then he says "You know how it is." Do you think that means he'll get pulled back in a la Michael Corleone, or that he'll be seduced by the dark side so to speak, and decide that he enjoys it too much to retire?

Personally after Niko and John Marston who were both reluctant protagonists who mostly wanted to keep to themselves, I'd like a return to the Vercetti type, someone similar to Tony Montana who wants it all, and have the protagonist seduced back into crime, while we see the effect it has on his family and those around him. If we're to see him interact with his kids, that would be a very interesting plot element to explore, we saw a little with John Marston and Jack but Marston was a reluctant protagonist. Perhaps they could add a Breaking Bad type element where the main character is trying to keep his joyous life of crime a secret from his family. Or, the most logical way to go: leave it up to the player. Place choices throughout the game that make you either a reluctant criminal with a heart or a killer who relishes it, except more choices that have a bigger impact this time.

An intellectual topic.

And a good question.

Theorys are circling about multiple protagonists. In the trailer you see 2 different people driving cars a la GTA protags.

First is the guy we assume to be narrating (the narrator may be a boss or friend), second the black "CJ*" type character

The older guy, could be reluctant, but with this game focusing of the pursuit of money, the black guy may just want "the world, and everything in it."

So we could have both./

My theory is that we start the game by choseing who to be. Then we play the game as them. The black guy and dark haired man appear simultaneously in the trailer in the pest control van (black hair gets out of the right hands side and, as the men jump out of the back, vest-wearing black man is seen in the drivers seat).

So why not both? One reluctant hero, thrown back into the world of crime after, say, his family's threatened/killed,

The other wanting to break out of the ghetto and make something of himself.

CHoices are a good idea -if done right. So far Rockstar have not given any indication that they can do this (not saying they can't). I'm all about freedom in games.

As for family - i dont tthink we'll see too much of it. Either they're killed or taken or something. Family and GTA do not mix. Chalke and cheese. How could a man run from the cops, and cop heli, get attention and hide that?

I'm thinking the narrator is NOT the protag. What if we haven't seen him/her yet, or as said, there's multiple?

Maybe the man talking is someone yo work for.

*i dont think it IS CJ.

Edited by Mokrie Dela

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

087rqaU.pngVw81Z2a.pngxWvxZoT.png1fb6cYB.png

Click here to view my Poetry

TheWetPartoftheArm

Thanks, and I hadn't thought about the possibility of multiple protagonists, the people in the trailer just looked like random pedestrians to me but I guess there's a chance they could be playable characters. I'd settle for that, choosing to play as different characters would add immense replay value. If that is the case, they should all be connected in some way, and perhaps the game could end with an epic standoff like in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, with the fate of each character depending on which one you're playing. Rockstar did mention that they were taking a "bold new direction", I suppose that could be the direction.

To me though the part that stood out was the mention of his kids and what interesting plot elements that would open up as we've never had a GTA character that's a family man before, except maybe CJ but he never had a wife and kids. And of course if he has kids who live with him that raises the question of whether there'll be kids as pedestrians too. We already know there are dogs, but if kids are included that will cause a lot of controversy.

Reluctant? No. R* should be expected to break the mold to surprise us who really care about story. In fact, it's necessary and I think they know that. If anything, the conflict so far is our protagonist just loves the life too damn much to leave it. I think he's really having fun during the jewelry store robbery. Furthermore, reluctant protagonists can make fans groan because it easily makes way for a...naive protagonist. And that's the last thing anyone wants. Having the player be a step away from his character will ruin the suspense of plot twists, which IMO, are a necessary tool.

Beware the risk of putting a label on a character though. You could have a guy who loves the life, tries to leave it and is forced back into it. That makes him both a reluctant protag and one that's seduced.

"Bold New direction." could literally mean anything. It could mean missions are no longer given in the traditional sense, or that the story truely branches on every mission, or that you can chose your protag or even make one. We just don't know at this point.

I'm really hoping for multiple protags each with different stories - so we're getting 2/3 games in one, if you get me. The map SOUNDS awesome - according to R* it's the biggest GTA ever. Bigger then SA? And it's just one city+ countryside?

It doesnt matter which the protag is, reluctant or seduced. It's the development that counts - how he's written, made, sounds and acted etc.

Either way the game looks good so don't expect R* to let us down on the rest.

I hope they pack the game with everything, from night clubs to street muggings, to plenty of side missions allowing us to play for hours beyond the story.

EFLC styled DLC will be cool too :

)

For now we have to wait for trailer #2 which will likely introduce characters.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

087rqaU.pngVw81Z2a.pngxWvxZoT.png1fb6cYB.png

Click here to view my Poetry

I'm a sucker for revenge stories, which is why I loved IV, I think the revenge element of the game was so powerful & compelling & that's exactly what I want to see in V. However, as you say, Niko wasn't so much a eager criminal & seemed to put an end to everything as soon as possible, this time around I want the protagonist to want everything, like, as you say, Tony Montana. I really want to own everything is Los Santos, I want that sense of 'all-powerfulness'.

Most if not all GTA protagonist seem to be reluctant.

It would be an interesting change of pace to play some form of career criminal who actually ENJOYS what he does.

I like the idea of incorporating more choice into the game to determine what type of protoganist you are. I think characters like Niko and John develop a much more emotional attachment to the player, whereas people like Tommy are just point, shoot, money, repeat.

I like the idea of incorporating more choice into the game to determine what type of protoganist you are. I think characters like Niko and John develop a much more emotional attachment to the player, whereas people like Tommy are just point, shoot, money, repeat.

This is an interesting idea. But, honestly the choices made by Niko and Johnny really didn't affect the story much. except the final decision by Niko.

It would be kinda cool to have a plot that kind of "branches" based on certain choices. Then again, GTA has never been an RPG (some can argue SA was part RPG)

I just hope that the protagonist isnt that old guy that I think it could be. I wanna young guy, someone I can relate to!

Long_Haired_Boy

The old guy will be FUN.

Imagine the movie Taken without the daughter but cars.

Either way I feel like the protagonist is the bigger mystery than the location and people seem to be missing the point there