Inaccessible Mountain....

jimm

Everyone including me are pretty hyped about the detail and scale of that mountain in the trailer. Would there be chances that it might not be accessible? What would your reaction be?

It wouldn't make sense as we have helicopters and planes. I don't recall a gta game with invisible walls. Just endlesss oceans.

Everyone including me are pretty hyped about the detail and scale of that mountain in the trailer. Would there be chances that it might not be accessible? What would your reaction be?

invisible walls are a thing of the early 2000s. ROckstar would never disappoint us in that big of a way

I had considered this, that Rockstar may give us a big wall for 1-2 of the game's boundaries but I think the planes and helis make the argument invalid.

zeppelincheetah
It wouldn't make sense as we have helicopters and planes. I don't recall a gta game with invisible walls. Just endlesss oceans.

every game before GTA Vice City had at least one part of the map that was an invisible wall. In GTA III you could sort of fly over the barrier in Shoreside Vale but the developers didn't design it to be flown over. It wouldn't make sense in a game with aircraft. Would our planes just crash into the mountain?

In my mind, I think of it as the same mountain ranges and trees seen in Red Dead Red, like Rockstar seeing about mixing those two game's elements, and I like it. There's mostly a good chance you can climb to the top as before, the previous SA borders were water on all sides, so it's likely it could still be that way, we'll see

It would be wrong on so many levels to deny us access to that awesome mountain. Mt. Chiliad in SA provided so much mindless fun for many of us, this mountain would do no different. R* can't just put something like that in game and keep us from being able to scale it. They're not that cruel.

It'd be downright idiotic, pointless and extremely disappointing to nearly everyone. We've all seen the diverse planes, flying to a mountain and then being stopped by some invisible force would be ridiculous, and I certainly hope that Rockstar should think the same.

nikonatorbelick

^this, planes would be a waste if the map was covered with invisible walls ( even more if there's only one city), hopefully they are accesible and all that stuff

after watching the trailer i actually started playing a bit of SA and tried to run through one of the mountains in countryside and it took me a LOT of time to get to the top, the map was massive, we are talking about and almost 6 year old game, with all the upgrades that the RAGE engine has recieved over all these years it wouldn't surprise me a little if it could render the full San Andreas Map and make it even bigger, with full up to date graphics and all that good stuff

i mean just look at Just Cause 2, for those who haven't played it, the map is really, really massive, and i mean it, saying montains and landscapes in that games are gigantic doesn't says enough, and you can easily go to them through any means you desire,the game can easily handle all those things

I have to agree with the people who seem to think the mountains fake. It does look pretty fake from that scene. But this could just be an alpha/beta shot, or it could appear fake due to the way they have the draw distance set.

I cant see them putting a barrier up though. The last barrier they had was in GTA 3, and since they had the dodo, it still didnt work to well. I doubt they'll ever go back to that. Especially since all the games up till now have been their own island. GTA is a sandbox game. Traditionally, if you can see it, you can go there. Theres never been any real "inaccessible areas". Besides, if they have planes, it would be ridiculous to put a barrier up that you could easily fly over.....

I hope you can go mountaineering, like actual climbing that would be awesome I think we will be able too. Pretty sure they are gonna make GTA V feel as free as possible.

it wont be. They wont risk it.

Imagin flying a plane into an invisible wall.

BUT remember saints row 2 has a push back method as does gta 3.

Saints row 2 if you try to leave it says "you cant leave" then it turns you around automaticly.

GTA 3 just turns you around by force.

GTA is about freedom, there is no walls.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

It's hinting in the trailer, plainly, that there are hikers or mountain climbers, so at what extent the peds would be doing that or found in those locations opens the ideas up, for me anyway, it was a favored location. Another ACE effect in SA was the higher elevation clouds, for a game that was in that generation of hardware, dang impressive stuff. And we get some ultra fast jets, only really hinted at!

I almost excreted bricks upon opening up the original SA map when I got the game, I hope it happens again.

It's a shame that in San Andreas the Mt. Chiliad was always empty. There were no hikers or anyone really, it was just abandoned unless you got to the top where you could sometimes see a car and a few people if I am remembering it correctly. Anyway, it'd be awesome if you get to see hikers while roaming around Mt. Chiliad, and maybe even an Inn located somewhere up the mountain. I think it would definitely create an amazing atmosphere that is rarely seen in games. It's all about the little things.

The invisible barrier in Red Dead Redemption could be breached, and there were moments of "Blue Hell" in prior GTAs, but those invisible barriers gave away to nearly endless skies and water for San An, I think you could just cock a controller analog and let it go one way to infinity. It'd still be going at this moment!

Simple answer.

No.

There's no part of scenery in GTA that is inaccessible. I think R* would be majorly teasing fans if that glorious looking mountain backdropping the scenery was only that....scenery.

I see a mission where it takes several days to climb over it, look at the size of it, if R* go for realism again, they might want to add the fact that mountains take days to climb over. Those 3 people look equipped for sleeping so who knows, why else would they be bringing sleeping bags and stuff?

Plus remember R* saying that they wanted to make the last GTA4 game 'the way they intended GTA3 to be', they didn't feel like they achieved the goal of making a living breathing city, and GTA4 managed to be such a successful game, now they are doing the same with San Andreas. Which was such a good game and had hard work put into it.

I remember when everyone was dissapointed with GTASA's big rock of a mountain, unfortunately, the PS2 had it's limits, and R* still managed to pull it off somehow, it wasn't perfect, but it was as good as the PS2 could do. Now, they have the right tools for the job...and it can only mean something good.

It's a shame that in San Andreas the Mt. Chiliad was always empty. There were no hikers or anyone really, it was just abandoned unless you got to the top where you could sometimes see a car and a few people if I am remembering it correctly. Anyway, it'd be awesome if you get to see hikers while roaming around Mt. Chiliad, and maybe even an Inn located somewhere up the mountain. I think it would definitely create an amazing atmosphere that is rarely seen in games. It's all about the little things.

dont forget bigfoot!

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Look at the emphasis of the mountain in that trailer - why would they show it and make it unaccessible?

Think...

seriously...who says that we will be able to fly planes? no one...you just can see many aircrafts in the trailer but there is no word about that we will be able to use them...

so my guess according to this thread is:

1) if we wont be able to fly with aircrafts, GTA V will only be LS, with the ocean and inaccesible mountains(like in RDR)

2) if we will be able to fly with aircrafts, there MUST be another town/airport behind those mountains...it wont make sense to be able to fly and then have a invincible wall at mountains..so it will be like San Andreas, every town is surrounded by water

GRINCH ASS BITCH

I've got to admit, I agree with most of the people in this thread. Rockstar knew that their fans would speculate and mull over every little detail in the GTA:V trailer. They're not stupid, they wouldn't show the massiveness of the mountain (with a few hikers in the foreground) just to turn around and tell us that it's inaccessible. It's there for a reason. I believe the same thing applies to the scene where the red car is lowering its top. Rockstar purposely emphasized that scene for a couple of seconds because they knew the fans would get hyped about being able to manually raise/lower the car's roof. Rockstar is generally not known for disappointing people; I doubt they would show something like that (and purposely emphasize it in the trailer) if it were not reachable.

Hell, the worst that could happen is that there is nothing on the other side; just water (just like the old San Andreas) which would be fine by me.

Grand Theft Auto is about accessibility, and this won't change by limiting the player's freedom by a massive, tall mountain. Take the picture below for example, it's clear that this place is located over a high area level because you can see a massive, tall mountain range covered by clouds in the background, and they are almost on the same level of verticality.

user posted image

GRINCH ASS BITCH

Kind of off topic, but I'd like to see some more of the countryside, either in the next trailer or in new screen shots. As far as I know, we've only really seen two scenes that consisted of countryside; the mountain scene and the crop duster scene.

I'd personally like to know where the crop duster scene took place since it looks like some type of southern farm. Needless to say, I believe this game is going to be massive and completely accessible. It's most likely going to have the same type of border as the original San Andreas; water on all sides.

Remember, that one Gamespot article stated that their "sources" (however reliable they are) have said that this game is going to be "the big one" and that "the game's scale is vast." I honestly don't think Rockstar is going to screw us over.