Why was the Dodo so hard to fly in GTA III?

Bad Girls

I understand that with patience and training, you can fly it, but I've often wondered why it was deliberately made so that it was sooo difficult to fly. Especially when it's perfectly obtainable to get in the game and in the later installments, controlling a flying vehicle is so easy.

I've often thought it was because you weren't really supposed to fly in the game - as evidenced by the tacky physics/draw-distance when flying, like buildings with no solidity and of course there was no-go areas like the Stadium which weren't accessible without flying because the stadium ground itself isn't solid and you fall right through it, or the game crashes. But it raises the question of just why Rockstar put a plane in the game in the first place.

Thoughts?

Your guess is as good as anybodys... except Rockstar. But the main reason I believe is to restrict you from seeing the untextured rooftops and ghost town or maybe it's to prevent anyone from 'recreating' 9/11.

Players might've felt cheated after being teased a flyable plane only to find a solid, unflyable object so Rockstar decided that clipped wings were better than nothing.

WHY IT IS CALLED DODO:

Dodo is a bird that can fly very short distances and they were extinct somwhere in 17th - 18th century. Im suprised that dodo can be flown for very long in san andreas.

G1T

Flying a Dodo IS easy, once you get over the the natural tendancy to control vehicles recklessly.

As far as why flight is in the game at all goes...crashing a plane into a building was intended to be part of the scripted storyline. That part was eliminated due to a certian real-life event, but the majority of flight physics were still left in the game engine (possibly so the flight stat still had a purpose - less to "undo" during programming). It's only fortunate that there was a method (unintentionally?) left in place which allows falling to increase airspeed and thus - provide forward momentum.

BTW the stadium interior has a "solid" floor in this game...although it does not line up with the ground texture (just as with many rooftops). In that sense, there was no reason for R* to fully bugfix the collision files after the decision to eliminate the flying mission was made. And also no reason to remove the flight aspects that were already part of the game engine. It's just cheaper and quicker in the long run.

Flying a Dodo IS easy, once you get over the the natural tendancy to control vehicles recklessly.

As far as why flight is in the game at all goes...crashing a plane into a building was intended to be part of the scripted storyline. That part was eliminated due to a certian real-life event, but the majority of flight physics were still left in the game engine (possibly so the flight stat still had a purpose - less to "undo" during programming). It's only fortunate that there was a method (unintentionally?) left in place which allows falling to increase airspeed and thus - provide forward momentum.

Any sources for this?

Something that doesn't involve some degree of speculation? No. Search for "Darkel", "Love Hurts", etc. for examples. Only R* knows the truth about what the game concept originally consisted of...and they would not be so foolish as to admit anything following SA's "hot coffeegate" fiasco.

cant remember

The dodo was never meant to be flyable, it was only intended to be able to glide short distances, that was already the case even before 9/11.

Having to fly it into a building is just false rumors, and being able to fly it with some tricks and practice is actually more of a bug.

I love how you can read an entire mission summary of Darkel's "missions" online but not a single real source is available. sarcasm.gif

The whole 'love hurts' thing is bull crap. No one knows what Darkel's missions were for sure, and they sure as hell don't know what they were called.

pkmTc.gif

I love how you can read an entire mission summary of Darkel's "missions" online but not a single real source is available. sarcasm.gif

The whole 'love hurts' thing is bull crap. No one knows what Darkel's missions were for sure, and they sure as hell don't know what they were called.

I seem to remember scraps of mission data being left over in the game code. But hell if I can remember, it is ancient history....

There is definitely some truth to Darkel being advocator of terrorism, in one form or another.

Not a bug, but an exploit. A bug is something that is programmed incorrectly (such as walking through walls or falling though water). An exploit is using correctly-programmed routines to do something that you were not intended to (such as jumping to the broken pipe on the bridge). The program routine that allows you to glide the Dodo (as intended) can be exploited to fly for long distances. Your description is otherwise totally correct.

Anyway, the rumor does not involve the Dodo...which would not be able to feasibly take down a building regardless. But the airbus - implied to be a more-interactive object due to a dev pic that showed it being targeted by the protagonist (or something like that). Whether or not it was actually true is anyone's guess.

cant remember

Bug/exploit, who cares. Point is you weren't supposed to be able to fly it.

Darkel was going to replace the kill frenzies. And yup you could blow up the jets at the airport with the rocket launcher.

its due to 9/11. A number of changes took place in the 2 week delay. (2 weeks?).

Anyways, apparently fort staunton was redone and the final missions where rescripted. Fort staunton originally had an airport and the wtc near it. Darkel was cut and so where his missions. When the airport was in staunton there was a mission to bomb the airport. Later you would take a plane for darkel and fly it into the love media building killing donald. That mission was cut along with tons of others. The game would of been longer if it was not for 911. they also crippled the dodo to be hard to fly and they made the big jets and helicopters unflyable. In the gta3 data files there are handling stats for the huge jets which prove it was flyable at one time.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

its due to 9/11. A number of changes took place in the 2 week delay. (2 weeks?).

Anyways, apparently fort staunton was redone and the final missions where rescripted. Fort staunton originally had an airport and the wtc near it. Darkel was cut and so where his missions. When the airport was in staunton there was a mission to bomb the airport. Later you would take a plane for darkel and fly it into the love media building killing donald. That mission was cut along with tons of others. The game would of been longer if it was not for 911. they also crippled the dodo to be hard to fly and they made the big jets and helicopters unflyable. In the gta3 data files there are handling stats for the huge jets which prove it was flyable at one time.

Oh god the bullsh*t, its overwhelming.

WbZaxRP.png

That's right - ccrogers what a steak of bullsh*t. Not everything is true. Give me the source.

No one knows what Darkel's missions were for sure, and they sure as hell don't know what they were called.

According to gouranga.com, they were caled "odd jobs".

Edited by Filip454

I think FG was referring to the titles of them (i.e. "Love Hurts", etc).

IMO the rumor was entirely based on a misunderstood statement regarding what was altered...that one (unspecified) mission was removed, and that the airbus flightpath was adjusted (so it wouldn't fly near any tall buildings). It's never said that those two specific changes are related in any way. And it's certianly never stated that gameplay was altered in any significant manner.

That's right - ccrogers what a steak of bullsh*t. Not everything is true. Give me the source.

No one knows what Darkel's missions were for sure, and they sure as hell don't know what they were called.

According to gouranga.com, they were caled "odd jobs".

are you dumb?

Houser said:

...our biggest games, including Grand Theft Auto [iII], have been delayed slightly. This decision is based on two factors, firstly it has been a little difficult to get work done in downtown Manhattan in the last week since basic communications infrastructure has been intermittent at best, and secondly we felt that a full content review of all our titles was absolutely necessary for us in light of the horrifying event we all witnessed in NYC last week. As for Grand Theft Auto [iII], since the game is so huge the review is no short process. So far we have come across certain small contextual references that we were no longer comfortable with, as well as a couple of very rare game play instances that no longer felt appropriate to us. We apologize to you and all the people waiting for this game to ship for the delays that have now ensued, but I'm sure you can understand our reasoning.

source: http://www.gouranga.com/september01.htm#h419

Source of 9/11 changes:http://www.gouranga.com/september01.htm#h427

Another: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2813500.html

Next?

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

So far we have come across certain small contextual references that we were no longer comfortable with, as well as a couple of very rare game play instances that no longer felt appropriate to us. We apologize to you and all the people waiting for this game to ship for the delays that have now ensued, but I'm sure you can understand our reasoning.

Are you dumb? Where IS WTC? You are so stupid. Read this again - blue cop cars and planes were changed with many other things. There was no f*cking in-game WTC -.- There is no evidence anyway.

Now don't be so stupid and come down. You behave like little kid.

as well as a couple of very rare game play instances that no longer felt appropriate to us

There was Darkel and his bloody missions. So they deleted him. Anyway, I've analyzed every f*cking trailer from my database and there is no WTC. FRAME BY FRAME.

Edited by Filip454