Analyst: GTA V will be download-only

Mainland Marauder

Mainland Marauder

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7179...k-28-fbfantrack

A report from industry analyst and Newzoo CEO Peter Warman imagines that the release of Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto 5 will be download only. According to Warman, download only releases would allow publishers to "launch games faster, create continuous revenues on a title and simply to make more money."

In Warman's vision of the future, you'll still be able to buy GTA 5 in stores, but you won't be buying anything but a number. "Retail will always remain an important channel to promote and distribute games. Retail has a strong hand to play when it comes to eyeballs and… boxes make a nice gift. Boxed games will not disappear, but what is in the box will. That is why the boxed GTA V version will contain a collectible piece of merchandise and a download code. No disc," Warman said.

This setup I think is inevitable in the end, but are we ready for it now?

"You tell me exactly what you want, and I'll explain to you very carefully why it cannot be."

Mainland Marauder

I had a good laugh reading that.

I think downloads and subscription-type services are the future. But is that future already here?

Also, let's dial down the images/micros some. This is a discussion forum.

"You tell me exactly what you want, and I'll explain to you very carefully why it cannot be."

I don't think we're ready now, no. I know they're selling XBox Elites that have pathetically small hard-drive capacity. I should know because I have one. It has around 4 GB permanent space, with room for expansion. It shouldn't have to come down to that. It's definitely on the cards, though.

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA

*pauses for breath*

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA!

I don't like the idea of exclusively downloadable. I'd still buy it but would be unhappy. Especially considering the idea of doing it simply to make more money. If, on the other hand, they wanted to reduce the price a bit to make up for the money saved in packaging and disc/writing to the disc, I'd have a lot less of a problem with it.

I don't think we're ready for it as a norm until perhaps the next generation of consoles, although I do see it as part of gaming future and gaming shops will decline, just like music/dvd shops.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7179...k-28-fbfantrack

A report from industry analyst and Newzoo CEO Peter Warman imagines that the release of Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto 5 will be download only. According to Warman, download only releases would allow publishers to "launch games faster, create continuous revenues on a title and simply to make more money."

In Warman's vision of the future, you'll still be able to buy GTA 5 in stores, but you won't be buying anything but a number. "Retail will always remain an important channel to promote and distribute games. Retail has a strong hand to play when it comes to eyeballs and… boxes make a nice gift. Boxed games will not disappear, but what is in the box will. That is why the boxed GTA V version will contain a collectible piece of merchandise and a download code. No disc," Warman said.

This setup I think is inevitable in the end, but are we ready for it now?

not gonna happen. If its download only, it will kill the game series. people will be turned away as alot of people CANT download as there ISP only gives them a certain bandwidth amount.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Remember how big of a deal the unveiling of IV's box art was? It seems like they value that kind of showmanship. Having a digital download with just an icon that says "Grand Theft Auto V" would be a bit of a letdown.

Mainland Marauder
This has already been posted. Use the search function.

I aimed for this to be more of a discussion of whether we're ready for such a thing, not merely if GTA V is going to be download only. We know it's not going to be.

I don't think we're ready for it as a norm until perhaps the next generation of consoles, although I do see it as part of gaming future and gaming shops will decline, just like music/dvd shops.

I don't see it happening for a very long time. Internet speeds can't quite match the speed of getting the disk and installing it. Especially when the servers are overloaded.

He's just trying to make a name for himself like Pachter did by throwing random guess out there and making it seem like a fact. One random guess may turn out to be true one day and then BOOM "He knew information before it came out!". People, the world doesn't need another Pachter, we don't even need the first.

Snake Without a Tongue

f*cking hell, even patcher would spit his tea out if he read that

LOL Yeah.

How about this, GTAV will only exist in theory until actualized through rejection of ontological cohesion. You know, just my opinion.

Mainland Marauder
He's just trying to make a name for himself like Pachter did by throwing random guess out there and making it seem like a fact. One random guess may turn out to be true one day and then BOOM "He knew information before it came out!". People, the world doesn't need another Pachter, we don't even need the first.

They're just speculating like anyone here is. Ultimately they're no different from the economy pundits making predictions about new recessions or recovery or whatever. More than likely, they publish this stuff to drive Web traffic. People search, find it, click, then realize it's BS.

Think about it though - this would really be cool. No having to reserve a copy or get to the game store only for them to have run out or whatever. The only thing holding this back are existing technology and Internet infrastructure. I could only imagine things shutting down on release day.

But, just how far off from this are we?

But what if the game is poo! I want to pass it on to another sucker. DL only would allow them to make crap games.

9322068076_d79a001db2_o.jpg

Mainland Marauder
But what if the game is poo! I want to pass it on to another sucker. DL only would allow them to make crap games.

I think that's where free demo downloads come in. And of course good old word of mouth. You don't absolutely have to download it as soon as it goes live. It might be better for everyone involved if there were a large percentage of people who did not, just thinking from the server load/bandwidth etc. concerns.

For discussion's sake, Pachter did respond to this rumour:

@michaelpachter

Michael Pachter

Re:bit.ly/sIqzV1 it is not possible that GTA V is digital download only, ZERO probability. 40% of 360s sold have 20Gb or smaller HDD

2 hours ago via web

GTA V certainly won't be download only, but I really can see this in the gaming industry in the future simply because that's how a lot of other industries are going. It's only a matter of time before we start seeing this although perhaps not in big titles like GTA for a long time.

No chance this will happen. In the near future, maybe.

But currently, at my download speed GTA VI will be out by the time I downloaded it.

Mainland Marauder
But currently, at my download speed GTA VI will be out by the time I downloaded it.

See, that's exactly why this won't happen, not now.

We'll see this within the decade though, I'm thinking. Probably starting as download being an alternative option to buying the disc, much like the DLC that eventually came out as its own disc-based release, except both download and disc are available at release time. The logical progression from this is going all-download.

Games are only getting bigger as well, and quite frankly infrastructure isn't quite ready to support it yet. Alot of the so called 'unlimited' packages are limited to something like 40gb a month bandwidth, one game could easily take half of this.

Downloads such as these work really well for Music and Video, because that can be compressed with relative ease, without much loss of quality, not to mention they can also be streamed.

I'd be happy to wait a couple of hours for a game to download, but at my current speeds. I'd be looking at 5 days at least.

One of the things i love about boxed gtas is the fact of having the booklet and the map to stick on my wall smile.gif Hope they don't take that away from us.

They're just speculating like anyone here is. Ultimately they're no different from the economy pundits making predictions about new recessions or recovery or whatever. More than likely, they publish this stuff to drive Web traffic. People search, find it, click, then realize it's BS.

Think about it though - this would really be cool. No having to reserve a copy or get to the game store only for them to have run out or whatever. The only thing holding this back are existing technology and Internet infrastructure. I could only imagine things shutting down on release day.

But, just how far off from this are we?

I do think it is a reality, but not anytime soon. An easy way around having MILLIONS of people download the same game at the same time is simple - Let people download it [an encrypted, or locked game] for days or weeks ahead of time, then release the activation codes to those who purchased it on the "release" day.

That was quite simple.

As a used buyer and seller, I REALLY hope that they never go DL only.

f*cking hell, even patcher would spit his tea out if he read that

Lol, my thoughts exactly!

I think we all agree it is not realistic now, but I'm not so sure this is where the industry is destined to be honest in the long time either. I think we will see more downloading and less purchasing in stores, but I think big titles are going to be sold in retail stores as well for a long time.

In the event of hardware falure, having the disc available has obvious advantages. The big fans of a franchise are likely to even pay a bit extra for a well done box and manual, and it is much nicer if you are buying it as a present for somone.

Yes we will see a higher proportion of downloads, but "download only" I do not think will happen. In the same way chip and pin reduced the amount of cash people carry, but did not eliminate their desire to keep using it on some scale.

1. If i buy the download code and download the game and my hard drive fails and i lose the game i have to buy the game again and a new hard drive or a new ps3.

2. It should have 5 download limit cap or unlimited because discs are unlimited.

3. I can take to code to my friends house and he can download the game from me for free with discs you cant.

4. People have to go somewhere where the internet is fast so they can download the game quickly.

5. The graphics of the game have to be toned down because of the ps3 and xbox capabilities.

6. People like to have the disc version because when you want to go to your friends house and take the disc with you, but with download you have to take your ps3 with you.