GTA V: Multiple Discs

r0ck3t0wn3r

Look I'm not Fanboy. both consoles have perks but, I think the Xbox does have a disc limitation and that may limit the unit itself on how far games can be pushed if they are made for both platforms. If GTA was PS3 exclusive i think they could do a little more to the game itself. Not a Fanboy thought just a technical look at it. PS3 owners have no excuse to upgrade a hard drive now, I dropped a 750gb hard drive in mine for 50$

It is what it is and people need to stop saying the game is going to be for PS4 and Xbox 720. The economy sucks so bad they will not release another console that cost $300+ when im sure they both have a good life left to them, Its why they are focused on all these new accessories. Xbox just needs to bite the bullet make a blue ray drive / hard drive case and sell if for 100$

DISK. INSTALLATION.

Xbox 360 can now install games directly to the Hard Drive. Thus, give us a disk that has everything on it solely for install, and we can have as much if not MORE content (textures, etc) than the PS3.

user posted image

That would be better, then they can add better graphics, and I will have a long story mode. Don't care if it is one or 10 I would definetly play it

Look I'm not Fanboy. both consoles have perks but, I think the Xbox does have a disc limitation and that may limit the unit itself on how far games can be pushed if they are made for both platforms. If GTA was PS3 exclusive i think they could do a little more to the game itself. Not a Fanboy thought just a technical look at it. PS3 owners have no excuse to upgrade a hard drive now, I dropped a 750gb hard drive in mine for 50$

It is what it is and people need to stop saying the game is going to be for PS4 and Xbox 720. The economy sucks so bad they will not release another console that cost $300+ when im sure they both have a good life left to them, Its why they are focused on all these new accessories. Xbox just needs to bite the bullet make a blue ray drive / hard drive case and sell if for 100$

DISK. INSTALLATION.

Xbox 360 can now install games directly to the Hard Drive. Thus, give us a disk that has everything on it solely for install, and we can have as much if not MORE content (textures, etc) than the PS3.

Well I don't know how you could have more, Sony could implement this idea and if say there was 5 discs or even 2 each time you start the game it would require one of the discs to run and it would be a random pick of them.

DISK. INSTALLATION.

Once again, install discs aren't an option for 360. As there are 360s without HDDs installing a game has to be optional rather than mandatory.

@Mr Bubbleguts The actual act of swapping discs probably wouldn't bother most people - if 2 discs means a better game then any complaints are a bit silly. The real issue is whether multiple discs would force contraints or limit the freedom and non-linear elements of the game.

hW0sZKX.png

Well if say if all 360's had hard drives then all the content could be installed minus the maps. Sigh this is why I feel and I Don't care how many fanboys out there. I think its why dual platform games are being limited is the 360's minor hardware limitations. IE hard drive and CD/DVD/ drive.

So don't get all huffy saying I'm bashing the 360's cause I only said the DRIVES are its limitations. And 360 owners have to admit Microsoft should make a Bluray drive with an external Hard drive. allow it to house a full size Hard drive since 1TB is only 60 to 99 for 5400rpm and I can not blame Microsoft on the Bluray issue as they were not around at the time, Its also what helped delay the PS3

The 360 has actually become this generation's GameCube: about a third of the disc space of its competitor. I know it would be risky, but I would say make it PS3-exclusive if it spans more than one DVD. It would send a serious message to the Xbox fanbase about how seriously lacking the 360 is in disc space. I would hate knowing that my PS3 copy of the game is exactly the same as the 360 version, which had corners cut to fit on a single DVD.

Another thought that just dawned on me is the possibility of porting this to the Wii U. Its discs are as large as a single-layer BD.

To quote Wiki "I know not all wiki is facts but i don't doubt this,

Triple layer discs (100 GB) and quadruple layers (128 GB) are available for BD-XL Blu-ray re-writer drives.[2] Currently movie production companies have not utilized the triple or quadruple layer discs; most consumer owned Blu-ray players will not be able to read the additional layers, while newer Blu-ray players may require a firmware update to play the triple and quadruple sized discs.

Now imagine a firmware update for PS3 to allow 4 layers on one disc.

I even thought it was to contain DVD9 data or maybe it was HD-DVD

I've yet to see a PS3 game, with all that extra space, that blows a 360 exclusive or multi-platform game out of the water. The limitations of the 360 hardware are an obstacle, but having more space doesn't necessarily equal better games. Besides, if 360 games are keeping up with PS3 games despite the lack of disc space why aren't PS3 exclusives doing the same and pushing the media to its limits?

More space will result in lax compression and lazy optimization long before it leads to developers even approaching to fulfill the potential of having that space available.

Edited by something_else

hW0sZKX.png

StellarFish20

I'd be fine with 1 extra disc, but it would be a nuisance. Aslong as it doesn't split up single player - 1 disc for 1 island type thing - Maybe have 1 for single player and then another for Online.

ThatBadAssMofo
The 360 has actually become this generation's GameCube: about a third of the disc space of its competitor. I know it would be risky, but I would say make it PS3-exclusive if it spans more than one DVD. It would send a serious message to the Xbox fanbase about how seriously lacking the 360 is in disc space. I would hate knowing that my PS3 copy of the game is exactly the same as the 360 version, which had corners cut to fit on a single DVD.

Another thought that just dawned on me is the possibility of porting this to the Wii U. Its discs are as large as a single-layer BD.

And you know things are going to be cut?

What? I was speaking hypothetically. It could be that Rockstar will have to remove things in order to fit the game on a DVD, and it would be disappointing to know that the game you're playing had content removed because of disc limitation.

I don't give the idea that PS3 lacked what could have been much credence, had both consoles been up to the task of GTA IV, for one thing, It's still rumored that AGENT may bow out on both console platforms, This to me indicates that the work on the game is proving non-exclusive to technical attributes of Playstation 3, I mean, ask yourself, what else could that news mean?? Not much else comes to mind when I heard that.

Edited by Slamman

I don't give the idea that PS3 lacked what could have been, had both consoles been up to the task of GTA IV, for one thing, It's still rumored that AGENT may bow out on both console platforms, This to me indicates that the work on the game is proving non-exclusive to technical attributes of Playstation 3, I mean, ask yourself, what else could that news mean?? Not much else comes to mind when I heard that.

The market has spoken that there is not a killer difference between PS3 and Xbox. There's no reason for anyone but Microsoft or Sony to publish an exclusive AAA title.

Magic Al, this is not about the "Market", with independent studios, it's more about what they don't say, and we don't know. It can certainly be in the interest of Sony or Microsoft, or Nintendo's software alliances to make software intrinsic to their systems, but again, I think Rockstar were looking to use PS3's abilities, they looked at and offered up software for PSP and Nintendo DS, and it won't end with just those. Think about this.

What? I was speaking hypothetically. It could be that Rockstar will have to remove things in order to fit the game on a DVD, and it would be disappointing to know that the game you're playing had content removed because of disc limitation.

Skyrim will be a far bigger game with far more content than GTA V and it all fits into 3.8 GB, less than half of the 360's DVD capacity. If Bethesda can do it, then why can't Rockstar? It's all about compression!

GTA San Andreas was originally planned to be released on 2 discs. That's why they deleted a bit of content to release the game on 1 disc.

Source.

If u find this a problem, your either stupid or a ps3 fanboy

It's a problem - you won't be able to travel between locations in free mode without swapping the disk.

Who says that's a problem? Maybe you can't switch between locations at all except storyline wise. Look how the other GTAs have been, even the last San Andreas. You start in Los Santos, and you are STUCK there, until you pass a certain spot in the game, then you go to San Fierro and they make it clear you are not supposed to go back to Los Santos. Then you end up in Las Venturas, and finally go back to Los Santos. At that point you are free to go where ever you like, and I enjoyed that freedom too, but if the barriers to travelling between cities are storyline based I am sure we will all get over it.

Anyway who know if there are multiple cities. Maybe it's just one city like GTAIV.

More the merrier, bring it on!

All the more game to play, better value, more fun. I hope it's 7 or 8 disks for the Crap Box and 2 for the Play Slut 3 with one disk installed to the hard drive.

I remember load times and disk changes constantly growing up, something this big deserves a disk change if it requires it. And if the map is on every disk that should be no issue for Crap Box users.

You're obviously a very mature adult.

I suppose what they could do is have on disk one really really really compressed gfx and audio files which look and sound like a III era game, and disk 2 is the high quality HD textures which aren't required but recommended, thinking about how much space audio and visual files take up it could work.

• 3 weeks later...

One major thing that bugs me, Is the people saying "Microsoft should just make a Blu-ray drive", It's never going to happen...If they start making Blu-ray drives to sell what about the people who don't fork out cash for them? That would be a big f*ck you to them and a big mistake. If people don't shell money out for a hard drive, What makes you think that they would pay for a Blu-ray Drive?

If it was in multiple discs how would it work? I could see the MP being on another disc but how would single player work? What would be put on each disc and where would you have to swap it? I guess I wouldn't mind it too much of it was on 2 discs but I would prefer one. If Skyrim and RDR can fit on one disc with room to spare why couldn't V?

It was said earlier in this topic. For XBOX, you need to have the disk in the console in spite of it being installed. This is also the case with multiple disks.

What needs to be done for XBOX is:

Let Hard Drive owners install the multiple disks onto their Hard Drives. But once the data is installed, don't force them to switch the disks in the middle of the story just for verification. Disk ONE should verify all of the installed disks at the same time.

Hope it's clear.

Vegetarian Piranha

would not bother me one bit, LA Noire was perfect. it wasnt a constant process.

you only got asked to change disc twice.. whats the big f*ckin deal?

More is not always better. Honestly, even the 360 will hold an amazing final GTAV just fine. no need for multiple discs. A bigger map doesn't automatically equal a better game.

would not bother me one bit, LA Noire was perfect. it wasnt a constant process.

you only got asked to change disc twice.. whats the big f*ckin deal?

icon14.gifcookie.gif

• 2 weeks later...

With all the mentioning that GTA V hints in the media and press could relate to Xbox NexBox... I looked up a few links to see what was most interesting, and THIS was located about the HD-DVD project under development.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/xboxteam/archive/2...rgence-day.aspx

Many people question how or why MS opted for the system and enhancements that they did, this sheds SOME light on the "inner workings" and obviously, a lot of man hours and money went into just getting HD DVD as an accessory, STILL, the forward thinking design seemed stunted, at that time, the HD systems clashed feverishly you'll recall. It was a pitted battle, more intense then multi format Beta VS VHS or DVD-R VS DVD+R!

A dream of mine has always been all 5 Rockstar cities in one game.. of course, that won't happen in this console generation.. but i really hope it will happen when xbox 4 and ps5 will be sold.

Think about it, wouldn't it be awesome to have Libert City, Vice City, Los Santos, San Fierro and Las Venturas all in one big map?

one can dream right?