GTA V: Multiple Discs

r0ck3t0wn3r

Officer Tenpenny is a bad man

Really dont care either way its rockstar's way of fighting obesity!

I feel the need to point out once again that Skyrim, with a gigantic, detailed map and over 300 hours of content takes up only 3.8 GB of disc space, which is less than half of the 360 DVD's capacity. Its predecessor, Oblivion, took up almost the full disc with less content. If Rockstar knows what they're doing with compression, like Bethesda does, then GTA V won't come even close to needing more than one disc, except in the unlikely case that they use the MotionScan technology again.

Edited by Isuck100%

My idea would be if Microsoft had teamed up with Toshiba to come up with a dual tray Xbox360, anyone familiar with DVD players knows Toshiba offered several models like this. And IIRC, Toshiba was making drives for Microsoft's Xbox, though LG and Hitachi were as well (again IIRC) Seems to me, that by adopting Toshy's HD-DVD format, the two companies could have worked together further

If u find this a problem, your either stupid or a ps3 fanboy

It's a problem - you won't be able to travel between locations in free mode without swapping the disk.

all the locations are on each disk, its just the story that's spread over several disks. Solved.

If u find this a problem, your either stupid or a ps3 fanboy

It's a problem - you won't be able to travel between locations in free mode without swapping the disk.

Thats Stupid. You won't change discs in the middle of free roam, only for latter parts of the story to play out.

I wouldnt mind having more than one disc if it meant a bigger game. Maybe they could put the multiplayer on a single disc like EA did with BF3.

BTW this is my first post.

user posted image

Oh man don't let this happen again... supposedly(I HEARD, so it isn't fact, just rumor) because of X-BOX's 360 lack of disc space, GTA IV had to be limited. I hope this doesn't happen again with GTA V, put it on 5 disc if you have to rockstar, don't let disc space limit how the game SHOULD be.

I'm a PS3 owner so I already know it will be on 1 disc, only thing will be install time, but that's no biggie.

So yes for the X-box 360 since they have limited disc space, rockstar should make it multiple disc, they shouldn't limit the game because it doesn't fit on 1 or 2 disc.

So yes for the X-box 360 since they have limited disc space, rockstar should make it multiple disc, they shouldn't limit the game because it doesn't fit on 1 or 2 disc.

Agreed.

user posted image

multi disks sounds like 1999 or something that always killed me about XBOX360. LA Noire had 3 disks that would piss me off i am so happy i have ps3

I feel the need to point out once again that Skyrim, with a gigantic, detailed map and over 300 hours of content takes up only 3.8 GB of disc space, which is less than half of the 360 DVD's capacity. Its predecessor, Oblivion, took up almost the full disc with less content. If Rockstar knows what they're doing with compression, like Bethesda does, then GTA V won't come even close to needing more than one disc, except in the unlikely case that they use the MotionScan technology again.

True.

I have my doubts GTA V will rival Skyrim for content, so it should most certainly all fit on one disc.

If a comment from a known Xbox Fanboy surfaces here, best take it with a grain of sand, not like he's being paid (a shill) by Microsoft, is he??

Eitherway, BD by that example isn't even breaking a sweat! hahaha

Seriously though, it's pretty disappointed that neither system works in terms of connecting an optical via USB, other then the HD DVD for playback, I tried a traditional BluRay Samsung externally to my PS3 to get a read from anything, NO DICE!

multi disks sounds like 1999 or something that always killed me about XBOX360. LA Noire had 3 disks that would piss me off i am so happy i have ps3

Actually having 3 disks isn't so bad. In the 360 version of Noire it only applied to the story line, so when you free roam the map will be available regardless of the disk. Though if you want to play with a specific partner, you would have to change the disk. For example, if I wanted to play with Galloway, I would use disk 2, or if I wanted to play with Biggs, I would play disk 3. The reason for this was because of the Motion Scan technology used in Noire.

Because Team Bondi has shut down there is a good chance that Motion Scan won't be in the game, and the game disk will just be 1. If only Xbox 360 had BluRay all problems would be solved...

Mainland Marauder
>I wouldn't care, as long as it doesn't interrupt free roaming.

This is the big thing to me. No load times when you go to another part of the map. Can understand a bit of time loading, say, an interior used for a cutscene. That's different.

re: disc size - what matters more is how much information can be loaded at a time (i.e. RAM) which depends on the console hardware, not the storage medium.

Many multi-disc games have most or all of the core game code on all discs. An early example would be Final Fantasy VII. The extra discs were mainly for the CGI cutscenes and whatnot. The system would require you to play a specified disc at any particular point in the game, but most of the data needed to run the game is on any of them.

That said, unless we're ready for a game with more cutscene time than the whole Metal Gear Solid series combined, then sure, we'll need three or four discs. whatsthat.gif

"You tell me exactly what you want, and I'll explain to you very carefully why it cannot be."

lol 1999 wasn't that long ago, back in those days I was 5 and I had a PS1. with the ps1 if you were playing a multi disk you'd put the first disc to start the game,(At least for one game with a dog, forgot the name of the game lol)_ you'd press start, take out the first disc, put the 2nd in, close the lid, and your ready to play.

time flies by, and I'm still young, the late 90s were the days, fun fun time playing and watching others play, video games.

Edited by rmisdice

I wouldnt mind having more than one disc if it meant a bigger game. Maybe they could put the multiplayer on a single disc like EA did with BF3.

Yep, I fully agree with the above poster.

Actually having 3 disks isn't so bad. In the 360 version of Noire it only applied to the story line, so when you free roam the map will be available regardless of the disk. Though if you want to play with a specific partner, you would have to change the disk. For example, if I wanted to play with Galloway, I would use disk 2, or if I wanted to play with Biggs, I would play disk 3. The reason for this was because of the Motion Scan technology used in Noire.

Because Team Bondi has shut down there is a good chance that Motion Scan won't be in the game, and the game disk will just be 1. If only Xbox 360 had BluRay all problems would be solved...

but why would you want to do that? this is 2012 that kind of technology is unacceptable and annoying

If the game requires more than one disc on the Xbox 360 to reach its maximum potential, then so be it. So what if it's a little less convenient for some gamers, it's not hard to swap a disc, ffs. It wouldn't even apply for free-roam, anyway.

Audio takes up almost 70% of disk space. San Andreas was 4.72GB, and the audio of that is 3.24GB, which leaves 1.48GB for everything else. Rockstar just needs to find a better way to compress audio so they can have more space for other things. Multiple disks for Xbox 360 does sound good though, to make the game better.

Mainland Marauder

It's hard to compress audio without sacrificing sound quality. The sounds are a big part of the game - radio music, speech, ambient street noise. You don't want to cut corners there.

"You tell me exactly what you want, and I'll explain to you very carefully why it cannot be."

Gtaplayaminigun

I think the texture resolution and the audio bitrate will be toned down to a pretty high extent on the XBOX to reduce the game to a single disc as these are the ones that take up most of the space. But to avoid the outcry from the Xbox community, I think they're going to tone it down on the PS3 as well.

I assume the scale of GTA compared to the type of animation and graphics in LA Noire means that the space required there won't be as much a factor for GTA on Xbox, and the compression artists at Rockstar Games are top notch, so it's been reported (Housers stated as much!)

On the audio side, why not have it install to HDD from a USB stick offered in-case with the game? I'd like to see this employed, really.

Edited by Slamman

yes but if you play on PS3 then everything is on one disk and you dont need to hassle with installing or switching disks five times to get through the story. im sorry but that would just annoy the sh*t out of me.

id be happy with 5 discs, as long as it was justified and the game was much bigger with a lot more abilities.

BF3 is more then 1 disc on xbox? i didnt know that...... on ps3 its 1 disc..... just like on ps3 LA Noire is also 1 disc.

Mr Bubbleguts

I don't think xbox players really care about switching disk's anymore. We was doing it back on the playstation days, it only takes 2 seconds to do.

G1T

Look I'm not Fanboy. both consoles have perks but, I think the Xbox does have a disc limitation and that may limit the unit itself on how far games can be pushed if they are made for both platforms. If GTA was PS3 exclusive i think they could do a little more to the game itself. Not a Fanboy thought just a technical look at it. PS3 owners have no excuse to upgrade a hard drive now, I dropped a 750gb hard drive in mine for 50$

It is what it is and people need to stop saying the game is going to be for PS4 and Xbox 720. The economy sucks so bad they will not release another console that cost $300+ when im sure they both have a good life left to them, Its why they are focused on all these new accessories. Xbox just needs to bite the bullet make a blue ray drive / hard drive case and sell if for 100$