GTA V: Multiple Discs

r0ck3t0wn3r

I really hope that they make it as big as they want it to be. I don't want the xbox version to put limits to the game.

Too bad for the xbox. 

Lol, crap box biggrin.gif

.... And yes, i think it will be several discs for the xbox (crap box biggrin.gif).

sarcasm.gif

And how IS the weather in PS3 fanBOY land today?

Is everyone recovered from the PSN buttf*ck they recieved? Hows your credit card and personal information these days?

I know when that happened on Xbox LIVE everyone was..... oh wait a minute.... it HASNT happened to us! And it never will!

Hows that taste Playstation b1tch?

Yeah, that makes you not look like another retarded fanboy at all.

No, really.

38773_s.gif

I really hope that they make it as big as they want it to be. I don't want the xbox version to put limits to the game.

Too bad for the xbox. 

.... And yes, i think it will be several discs for the xbox (crap box biggrin.gif).

sarcasm.gif

Is everyone recovered from the PSN buttf*ck they recieved? Hows your credit card and personal information these days?

I know when that happened on Xbox LIVE everyone was..... oh wait a minute.... it HASNT happened to us! And it never will!

Yeah, that makes you not look like another retarded fanboy at all.

No, really.

lol.gif I have no problem admitting im an Xbox fanboy. I just like bringing PS3'ers down a couple notches. wink.gif

Finn 7 five 11

@LCMetro, no CC information was taken from the Sony hack.

While Live has never been hacked there has also been numerous outages, both services have their run of the mill faults.

Sorry i couldn't let the retard get away with it.

----

Magic_Al you said it.

I don't think there will be multiple discs, if there is the second disc will have a small amount of data on it, the only reason L.A Noire was so freaking huge was because of the Motion Scan, which takes up ridiculous amounts of space, i am assuming V will not have it.

Xbox Discs have 1gb of extra space now anyway, since Microsoft removed or compressed ( i forget) some of their anti piracy software, the xbox now has 7.8GB of Usable space, whereas before it only had 6.8GB.

If there were multiple discs, changing the disc two - 3 times in a story really isn't a big deal.

Aside from the the "event" that happened on PSN, I've never been bothered by anything on it. I only have a PS3/Wii, and I think Live is great and if I was a Xbox user, I would not mind spending 60 bucks or whatever the cost is per year.

Stupid trolls are stupid. I know people said it before me, but try to enjoy what you have instead of bitch*ng what others have.

And just to stay on topic, I honestly think it would be weird to have more than one disc for 360 users. The only way I can think of it is if you'd have to change to disc 2 in the middle of the story line or something.

@LCMetro, no CC information was taken from the Sony hack.

Oh, so ONLY things like names, addresses, phone numbers ect was stolen? WHEW! That must make you PS3'ers feel better!

While Live has never been hacked

Nope!

there has also been numerous outages

The difference being that when LIVE goes down its for maintanance and is back up in a few hours. Exactly HOW long was PSN down after it was sodomized?

Sorry i couldn't let the retard get away with it.

lol.gif Maybe so - but your mom never had any complaints cool.gif

It is not "sh*t" for a game, either console or otherwise; to have multiple discs. Most modern PC games use multiple discs, one or more as install disc/s and one as the "play" disc. I don't see why they couldn't do the same on the consoles, with Grand Theft Auto V; if it means making the game better then previous Grand Theft Auto releases in terms of more detail or a larger, more detailed map. It would also mean that Rockstar would not be limited by the disc sizes of the Xbox 360, either -- they put L.A. Noire on multiple discs for the Xbox 360, for example; as already mentioned.

RE9mJnf.png

Batman Arkham City only had one disc and that game is HUGE! It'll probably be only on one disc. Look at Gears Of Wars 3, it manages one one disc, although there are some content that needs to be downloaded online.

Has no one been gaming before the early 2000s? Final Fantasy games, Resident Evil, they all had multiple discs. Of course, the hardware back then was sh*t so it makes sense, but the feeling of accomplishment when you finish the first disc and move onto the second one...it's the best thing. I miss this and I wouldn't mind multiple discs, especially considering all the content they could pack into a few discs. If this GTA is meant to be the 'Big One', then it would only make sense for 2-4 discs. Imagine having a fancy case for GTA V, loaded with 4 discs reading:

Disc 1: Liberty City

Disc 2: Vice City

Disc 3: Los Santos

Disc 4: Las Venturas

...or whatever. You go to an airport, buy a ticket to Vice City and the pause screen comes up telling you to switch discs. That would hardly be annoying to me, if anything it would make it more climactic to travel between cities. Maybe in 10 years it will be like this, I can only hope.

Look, this will never be the case.

They will only spread out the story mode on multiple discs, or maybe the multiplayer on another disc.

Swapping discs through cities won't happen.

Maybe, just maybe, you will have a install disc, but then people with a 4GB xbox will go rage.

Most of the space is consumed by the textures and audio from the game. The script will less since its just a piece of text.

Official General

F**k that. No way, not at all.

In my view having more than one disc for GTA would be rubbish and it would also feel weird, especially in this day and age with better hardware and software technology. There should be no excuse for multiple discs these days. I have even ended up buying the PS3 Complete Edition of GTA IV to have all the 3 games (inc. 2 episodes) on one disc.

And don't be bringing the PS3 into this, not even remotely or to a small extent. The PS3 will not be having disc space problems, because as we all know, it has Blu-Ray and better technological features than the 360 in general. This is not fanboy talk, this is real facts I'm expressing here. The PS3 is my only console and I will getting GTA V for it, so I should'nt need to be bothered by the prospect of multiple discs, that is something 360 owners need to worry about.

I never even knew that the 360 version of LA Noire had multiple discs until reading this particluar forum - it had 3 discs !! Now for me, that is very poor indeed. The 360 has really been slipping a lot lately with its technology, look at Forza, Final Fantasy and some other major 360 games, they all use multiple discs and thats just ridiculous. Some people on here can staunchly defend the 360 for all they want, but I think Microsoft seriously messed up with 360's technological capabilities.

I just hope that the 360's technological drawbacks do not affect the quality or standard of GTA V in any way, shape or form. Other platform owners should'nt have to suffer with watered-down versions of a potentially great game just because the 360 cannot fully handle it.

Edited by Official General

Too bad for the xbox. 

sarcasm.gif

Why do people still argue over this? Stop acting like retards and just enjoy playing whatever console you have.

Official General
Why do people still argue over this? Stop acting like retards and just enjoy playing whatever console you have.

Not everyone is arguing bro. The person who created the topic obviously expects a discussion about this subject, so you have expect people to talk about it, thats what a forum is for if you don't know.

The only people arguing are those who worship the 360 and will defend it to the death, rather than hear the truth. This is what leads to the arguments.

Maybie they will put all the radio stations in one disc disc, and evry other content to another one. That would be the most reasonable decision. Since radio stations require a lot of space, separating these two things can cause a significant improvement in music quality.

Players without/low capacity HDD can also enjoy the game almost the same way.

FlavouredMilk

I've got a PS3, so, this doesn't really phase me.

But, input and opinion is always a good thing in forums.

Soo...

I would love to hear that GTAV was being released on multiple disks for x-box 360, because that would mean the game was up there with LA:Noire and RAGE and what not.

I hope for x-box users sake, that the game isn't difficult to install/run or whatever. I've only got an arcade 360, and trying to do installs is just... horrific really.

I recently bought Forza4 and could only install a couple of the things off the second disk... Using a format edited mp3 player as a HD.

My PS3 is only 80gb too, which has become a hassle with so many game saves on there (RAGE and GT5 for example.)

But I hope to hell rahkstar2.gif doesn't down the games quality for disk sizes.

I don't think there will be multiple discs, if there is the second disc will have a small amount of data on it.

It would be counterproductive to release the game on more than one disc if the second only had a small amount of data on it. The increased cost of production and licencing as well as the inconvenience for the end user would make cutting content the better option.

Multiple discs would mean the game changes pretty drastically from what we're used to with a GTA game. Either most of the non-storyline game would have to be repeated on every disc or the whole thing becomes essentially linear.

hW0sZKX.png

Do you Fanboys even fear the wrath of the Mod's Ban-sticks or not? You're really an idiot if not. You can wind up outta here if you keep THAT up. The problem is that the 360 is fundamentally flawed, there's not even a question about it, embrace that RROD doorstop all you want, I have gone through 5 or 6 of them, and now 3 PS3 systems, so can't say I'm biased!

I think if studios started putting USB flash content in their game boxes, wouldn't be bad, and you could have 8 or 16GB there, easy!

and multiple discs would seriously limit the non-linearity of the game.

Oh please. The GTA series has always been slightly linear. In a truly nonlinear open-world game, you don't have bridges blocking access to certain areas of the map until you progress to a certain point in the storyline.

It nevers fails to shock me as to how such a simple question like how many discs GTA V might come on, turns into a huge console war.

PS3 has Blue Ray, Blue Rays hold more information then a standard disc like the 360 uses, so there is a chance, like LA Noire, that the 360 version might have more then one disc, whilst the PS3 version more then likely wont.

Does that make the 360 bad? NO.

Does that make the PS3 better? NO.

SIG-2.jpg

While PS3 has more storage space, the 360 has more RAM and a better GPU, so both systems will limit the game somehow. The Xbox 360 will limit the amount of content, and the PS3 will limit the performance and gameplay.

That's BluRay (not BLUE RAY) as a trademarked name, however it does mean a blue versus red laser means it's finer in beam, over the old. BD for short. I believe the BD drive is just not maximized yet, it's certainly not a bad choice for Sony to opt in on it and hold true to their guns so that format won the war obviously, it's just more perplexing that Microsoft want to sit on the sidelines so long....after Toshiba gave up on HD DVD it seems like ancient history already, but I did buy a few HDDVD boxes for Xbox 360, and one disc so far, can't use those XB360 HD drives for games data, but they do work on PCs under Windows 7 and 8

They have the SAME RAM, 512MBytes total. 256x2 actually, it's just not identical in each system

Edited by Slamman

and multiple discs would seriously limit the non-linearity of the game.

Oh please. The GTA series has always been slightly linear. In a truly nonlinear open-world game, you don't have bridges blocking access to certain areas of the map until you progress to a certain point in the storyline.

Al clearly means the non-linear elements of GTA games. It's pretty obvious he doesn't mean that GTA games are entirely non-linear. It's the things like radio and TV stations, collectibles, activities, friends/girlfriends and so on that are either entirely non-linear or non-linear after being "unlocked" that would cause issues.

hW0sZKX.png

John The Grudge

I really don't think R* spend too much time stressing over disc space. If they need to use multiple discs they will.

Official General

Well one of the Houser brothers has already discussed the problems they may face making newer games as they get bigger in size (including GTA) in an interview. He actually hinted that the 360's technological limitations will pose a great challenge to them, you can Google this and look it up yourself.

I'm pretty sure the PS3 version will be on one disc, so I'm not too bothered about multiple discs. But judging from recent evidence (LA Noire) there is a strong possibility that the 360 version might be on multiple discs. I just sure hope that the 360 does not hold back the development of GTA V and its potential for many great things to happen within it.

Edited by Official General

I think that there will defo be multiple discs but to negate the disc swapping it would work in the same way as battlefield 3 and stream textures from the harddrive and have geo data and such come from the disc at the same time.

If it's on one 9 gig disc then I think the game will suffer

It nevers fails to shock me as to how such a simple question like how many discs GTA V might come on, turns into a huge console war.

PS3 has Blue Ray, Blue Rays hold more information then a standard disc like the 360 uses, so there is a chance, like LA Noire, that the 360 version might have more then one disc, whilst the PS3 version more then likely wont.

Thank you!

I got a ps3 slim btw.

Official General

Again thank you too, what a simple, but yet, great post. (Well in my view the PS3 is better, but that was not the main point I was getting at here in this topic).

If the 360 is gonna have to use multiple discs because of its limited tech capabilities then 360 owners will just have to live with it, there is no point in trying to take out your frustrations on PS3 owners and start slating the PS3 to start a console war.

Effy in Chains

I expect & hope for one or two mandatory install discs, & a disc to play it from once the other discs are installed, with the option to install that too, for slight improvements in loading etc.

Zs936OL.gif

Alastair Smyth

Both sides of the fanboys are being silly. There is no perfect console. PC gamers laugh at us, anyway. And seeing our behavior, I think they'd have any reason to keep doing that. I have gone through 3 Xboxes within the last year and can only tell you that I am mighty pissed. Slamman is right, it is a flawed system. My 9 year old PS2 froze twice within all these years of playing and is still working. My PS1 was just as reliable for a decade, before I gave it away. Microsoft got the names from the condition of their brains and they are lying thieves. That does not change the fact that the concept of the 360 is great, imo. Let's hope the next gen consoles are going to be stable for once. Everytime I put the damn console on, I'm scared of the next RROD. I wish I had bought a PS3, but it was too expensive. I am not willing to shell out that much money for a console, period.

Speaking of limitations and disk space, it was a bit annoying to change the disks while playing L.A. Noire, but no biggie. It didn't destroy the fun for me. If GTA had to resort to such things, I would imagine a possible install disk or one entirely for missions, while a second or third disk would be the free roam disk. If they put road blocks or damaged bridges and tunnels in once again to prevent full access to the environment once again, it is questionable whether they'd like to have multiple disks. Then again, I don't know how that would work. I haven't got a clue how each disk could or would correspond to the progression and happenings in the game. I'll leave that to R* wink.gif

And as a quick PS, anybody who played the old Final Fantasy games knows that having multiple disks doesn't hurt anyone. VIII came with 4 disks, for example. I think the problem really is about the sandbox/free roam concept of the series.

Edited by Alastair Smyth

Official General

Both sides of the fanboys are being silly. There is no perfect console. PC gamers laugh at us, anyway. And seeing our behavior, I think they'd have any reason to keep doing that. I have gone through 3 Xboxes within the last year and can only tell you that I am mighty pissed. Slamman is right, it is a flawed system. My 9 year old PS2 froze twice within all these years of playing and is still working. My PS1 was just as reliable for a decade, before I gave it away. Microsoft got the names from the condition of their brains and they are lying thieves. That does not change the fact that the concept of the 360 is great, imo. Let's hope the next gen consoles are going to be stable for once. Everytime I put the damn console on, I'm scared of the next RROD. I wish I had bought a PS3, but it was too expensive. I am not willing to shell out that much money for a console, period.

Speaking of limitations and disk space, it was a bit annoying to change the disks while playing L.A. Noire, but no biggie. It didn't destroy the fun for me. If GTA had to resort to such things, I would imagine a possible install disk or one entirely for missions, while a second or third disk would be the free roam disk. If they put road blocks or damaged bridges and tunnels in once again to prevent full access to the environment once again, it is questionable whether they'd like to have multiple disks. Then again, I don't know how that would work. I haven't got a clue how each disk could or would correspond to the progression and happenings in the game. I'll leave that to R* wink.gif

Sorry, but I disagree with a few things you have said. PC gamers can laugh at us console owners if they want to, but if they want to keep up to date with current PC technology they will have to keep spending money on hardware upgrades, which certainly don't come cheap. PC technology upgrades faster than any electronic hardware in the industry, so imagine the money a PC gamer would spend! In some cases, certain PC games actually need hardware upgrades to be played on a PC, even if that PC is not that old. Or to get the best out of a high-end PC game, you might to update your graphics card or chip. No thanks, I don't need all that bother. I would much rather have a top of the range, powerful console and I know exactly what I'm getting out of it. I don't want the expensive hassle of constantly upgrading like PC owners.

As for what you said about console's breaking down, lets face it, no technology is 100% foolproof or totally immune to defects. There will be failure rates with consoles and other gaming hardware, even PCs. PCs are even worse, as they get viruses can that totally damage the hardware, bear in mind that consoles don't normally experience this. I've been gaming for many years now, and I don't remember any console having a failure rate as high as the 360's. Not even the first Xbox had this problem. The 360 has one of the highest failures of all time of any console.

The only console owners that PC owners are laughing at 360 owners, with all the rubbish the 360 crowd has to put up with from Microsoft to do with technological drawbacks and high hardware failure rates. There is nothing to laugh at regarding PS3 owners, because tech-wise the PS3 is fully up to date for a console and its reliability rate is very high.

And you should have bought a PS3, it does not cost that much money these days like it did in its first few years. It is much more reliable machine than the 360 and it is clearly more powerful, plus it has finally gained a major share of the gaming inudstry. There nothing stopping you from buying a PS3 now unless, a) you cannot afford it, or b) you are so tight and mean you would deprive yourself of a great console with great exclusive games.

And by the way, PC owners will not be laughing at us console owners once GTA V comes out on the PS3 and 360 first, they will be crying like lil' b*tches that they gotta wait until after a year to see a PC release LOL!!

This thread isn't a place for console wars, or even talk about console wars. Can it please, fellas.

@Kalasinn Mandatory install discs aren't an option for the 360, as has been said a couple of times already.

hW0sZKX.png