GTA V: Multiple Discs

r0ck3t0wn3r

Hope the 360 users get 1 disc as well though. When it comes to GTA i hope that it does well on every platform so that the budget can help finance a new and better game.

maybe MS should keep an official blu ray reader via usb in mind. i know the 360 version WILL have 2 or more disks and either you must have an HD( which means older non HD 360"s wont work.) or it will be island to island disk swapping. or maybe just digital for 360. i dont know how its gonna work. sadly expect cuts due to 360. again.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

That's the thing, a bigger game then GTA IV for Xbox on one disc only? That's DVD ROM, mind you, nothing special in the hardware of the 360 made in 2006. Even evolved, after Toshiba folded at the card table, HD-DVD on Xbox was just for showing movies, not playing or storing games. The HDD loading is a real option, for downloading or loading compressed files from a DVD ROM, however, I am pretty sure that any online game play revolves around the servers storing the game, so you don't have to worry on your end other then your Broadband connections

One idea proposed above has me thinking, if for Xbox360, you offer (ROCKSTAR) the game as multiple install or play discs, one is reserved in the drive, the other loads to your HDD, so in effect, you have two media available drives. The thing is, mostly this is thought of as the solid case for PC games, but not consoles. So, is it fair to assume in the case of consoles, the game can branch either way for data as you play streaming it from DVD and or HDD??

They probably have a disk to install the game content on the hard drive and the other disk is the one you play just like sims 2 for pc.

...You say for PC, but we wonder how will Microsoft's Xbox 360 handle the competition at this late stage of gaming in general?

They probably have a disk to install the game content on the hard drive and the other disk is the one you play just like sims 2 for pc.

Having an install disc with required content means that the game is unplayable on any 360 without a hard drive. It's a whole different story to PC installs.

Edited by something_else

hW0sZKX.png

For the ps3 comment, i didn't mean ps3 would have to swap discs but that content would be cut for the ps3 version because of xbox.

What about they ship the game with a usb and it has some game files on it and you have to have the disc to access the files on the USB... no need for the xbox to have a harddrive to install to... but it still has to save on the HDD. It would cost that much. Maybe have it in the collectors edition and make the standard edition you have to swap discs, give it to the loyal rockstar fans who fork out the extra money for the collectors edition

Edited by r0ck3t0wn3r

Having an install disc with required content means that the game is unplayable on any 360 without a hard drive. It's a whole different story to PC installs.

well that sucks for the 360 user with no hard drive

...You say for PC, but we wonder how will Microsoft's Xbox 360 handle the competition at this late stage of gaming in general?

i wonder too. 360 is very down in updated stuff. This is why sony says there advanced enough. 360 has nothing, segas not dished out a system yet, and nintendo is well... always gonna have arcade hardware.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Thanks a lot 360, for limiting the potential of GTA games this generation...

At least I have a PS3.

Hoping that the 360 version comes with more than 1 disk, which probably means a BIGGER map.

It's a limitation of the platform. Developers are highly unlikely to release games that can't be played by a significant portion of the market so it affects games as a whole rather than only owners of 360s without HDDs.

With the extra space now available on 360 DVDs and the R* compression wizardry it's certainly possible that GTA V will ship on one disc.

hW0sZKX.png

When I bought Just Cause 2 on PC CD/DVD ROM, it had you make an account over STEAM for the actual download, it's a move for IP protection perhaps, but again, what's possible for PC gaming is not what consoles do per se.

I think USB is certainly viable, as suggested, Xbox MS market their own at twice the price of your standard thumb drive, so obviously, want to avoid that unless you care for the pre-loaded content (not a comment relating to GTA V mind you)

Edited by Slamman

I think USB is certainly viable, as suggested, Xbox MS market their own at twice the price of your standard thumb drive, so obviously, want to avoid that unless you care for the pre-loaded content (not a comment relating to GTA V mind you)

It doesn't have to be a M$(the dollar sign is there for a reason) USB it can be a generic USB branded with the GTA V logo... and i'm sure the lazy people out there out buy the collectors edition just for the usb so they didn't have to change discs... but they should include the discs anyway just in case the USB gets lost

Think about it if you have 3 discs, which one you gonna choose to f*ck about on wow.gif

plus if you have those choice missions how is the other disc gonna know which person you killed?

Think about it if you have 3 discs, which one you gonna choose to f*ck about on wow.gif

plus if you have those choice missions how is the other disc gonna know which person you killed?

This is the dumbest thing i ever read !

The map would clearly be on 1 disk, with missions and sh*t on others.

And, pretty sure its called a savegame mate

Hmm...

One disc for part 1 of the story, another disc for part 2 of the story, and one more disc for Multiplayer. That sounds like a good idea to me.

G1T

Hmm...

One disc for part 1 of the story, another disc for part 2 of the story, and one more disc for Multiplayer. That sounds like a good idea to me.

that wouldn't be bad

Skyrim has a HUGE, detailed map and over 300 hours of content, and it only takes up 3.8 GB of disc space (less than half of a DVD).

Microsoft does not allow a game to be released that requires a hard drive to play, so there is absolutely no chance of that happening. The Forza installs include optional content. You can still play the game without all the extra cars.

Edited by Isuck100%

Microsoft does not allow a game to be released that requires a hard drive to play, so there is absolutely no chance of that happening. The Forza installs include optional content. You can still play the game without all the extra cars.

This is true.

Microsoft are terrible at gaming related things. I mean come on, making us pay extra just for a wireless adapter for 360? Paying extra just to be able to charge our controllers off the console?

They are a joke. And no, im not just a PS3 fanboy, i actually have both, and game on PC too.

The ONLY advantage of 360 is that the online service is a bit better, but that being said, its also not free like ps3.

Multiple discs in L.A. Noire was entirely because of MotionScan 3D videos of every actor's head saying every line, and the heavy amount of audio for so much of the game being interrogations and verbal revelations. Max Payne 3 isn't using MotionScan even though it's a linear shooter and would not have been structurally compromised by it as much as GTA.

GTA V being multiple discs is not going to happen because GTA V is almost certainly not going to use MotionScan and multiple discs would seriously limit the non-linearity of the game. If it's true they cut San Andreas to make it fit, it wasn't because multiple discs are more expensive to package, it's because it would have made the game suck.

If structured like L.A. Noire, a multi-disc GTA would have the full map on every disc but have such annoyances as only one-third of all random stranger missions available on each disc. Another possible structure would be one disc per island. Imagine playing GTA IV with that. Not desirable. Other practical considerations: GTA IV had 19 radio stations. L.A. Noire had 1. So in GTA V would all the radio audio get copied on every disc? Are there different radio stations on each island? Do you hear different content from each station when you change discs? And how about friends and girlfriends? Are they and their activities all on each discs, or are there only some of them on each disc. It's a nightmare. I'm getting a headache just thinking about it. No, no, no. Single disc. No MotionScan.

GTA_getaway_driver

If GTAV were to be put on multiple disks, I believe a smart way to play it out would be a disk swap after a major event. Remember in past GTA games where you couldn't progress in the story until you completed all the missions available at the time. Like when Roman's cab business was burnt down for example, you had to finish Little Jacob, Mikhail's and Dimitri's missions before you could progress to Broker. After a big event like that, you would switch to the next disk to continue the story instead of having to go back to the last disk to do a mission you didn't do at the time.

In my opinion, I believe GTAV will have two disks for the XBOX 360 at most which I don't mind at all, hardware has it's limitations and I can accept that. For PS3, one disk since Blu-Ray has a larger disk capacity.

EDIT: Looking at the post above mine, I see that a lot of files will have to be copied over the multiple disks just for optimal gameplay, which I too would find an annoyance.

Edited by GTA_getaway_driver

I really hope that they make it as big as they want it to be. I don't want the xbox version to put limits to the game.

Too bad for the xbox.

Lol, crap box biggrin.gif

.... And yes, i think it will be several discs for the xbox (crap box biggrin.gif).

sarcasm.gif

And how IS the weather in PS3 fanBOY land today?

Is everyone recovered from the PSN buttf*ck they recieved? Hows your credit card and personal information these days?

I know when that happened on Xbox LIVE everyone was..... oh wait a minute.... it HASNT happened to us! And it never will!

Hows that taste Playstation b1tch?

I think GTA V will have multiple discs, and I hope Microsoft lets Rockstar use one disc for verification for the whole game though when the game is installed on a hard drive (not like LA Noire where you had to swap the discs even if you had all three discs installed).

Considering that the current generation of consoles have reached their capacities it wouldn't be far fetched for the game to be released on multiple disks for the 360.