GTA V: Multiple Discs

r0ck3t0wn3r

Would you xbox 360 owners (and ps3 to an extent) out there be interested in the idea of multiple disc's, or would that be a turn off for you.

Think if they had more than one disc they could cram more into the game and make it bigger but at the expense of convenience. It could be like LA. noire, which had 3 discs.

Would you xbox 360 owners (and ps3 to an extent) out there be interested in the idea of multiple disc's, or would that be a turn off for you.

Think if they had more than one disc they could cram more into the game and make it bigger but at the expense of convenience. It could be like LA. noire, which had 3 discs.

PS3 users would never ever have to deal with multiple disks what they would have to deal with though most likely is a very large install because of the very large disk and slow read speed which would be bad as I never ever got round to upgrading my PS3 HDD.

360 users could probably deal with it despite it being a bit of a turn off, it wouldn't surprise me if GTA V uses multiple disks and LA NOIRE was like the test to see how well 360 users could handle it.

I hope Rockstar do put GTA V on multiple discs for xbox. I don't want a watered down version of what the game could have been just so xbox users can play it on one disc.

Has no one been gaming before the early 2000s? Final Fantasy games, Resident Evil, they all had multiple discs. Of course, the hardware back then was sh*t so it makes sense, but the feeling of accomplishment when you finish the first disc and move onto the second one...it's the best thing. I miss this and I wouldn't mind multiple discs, especially considering all the content they could pack into a few discs. If this GTA is meant to be the 'Big One', then it would only make sense for 2-4 discs. Imagine having a fancy case for GTA V, loaded with 4 discs reading:

Disc 1: Liberty City

Disc 2: Vice City

Disc 3: Los Santos

Disc 4: Las Venturas

...or whatever. You go to an airport, buy a ticket to Vice City and the pause screen comes up telling you to switch discs. That would hardly be annoying to me, if anything it would make it more climactic to travel between cities. Maybe in 10 years it will be like this, I can only hope.

More discs = more content.

...would anyone seriously rather less content because they're too damn lazy to make one disc change? mercie_blink.gif

@cherrycola,

so do I, but u still have to swap them for verification

You still have to swap discs after installing them? Is that how it worked for LA Noire too? sh*t, did not know that. In that case they should make disc 2 and 3 non-playable mandatory content install discs. Would suck for those with small harddrives though, but those guys should get with the times anyway and buy something better.

As far as installs, well, simply put I need a new HDD lol. But seriously, I wouldn't mind one bit. Well, I would mind a little if I had to swap when traveling to other parts of the map, but I'd get over it. But if it was for story, which would probaly be the case, wouldn't mind.

All in all, if it means more content... Well, since you put it that way, I'm in.

Sunrise Driver

If u find this a problem, your either stupid or a ps3 fanboy

It's a problem - you won't be able to travel between locations in free mode without swapping the disk.

GTA San Andreas was originally planned to be released on 2 discs. That's why they deleted a bit of content to release the game on 1 disc.

5 Protagonists Prove/Theory

"Guns don't kill people, death kills people! Ask a doctor, it's a medical fact, you can't die from a bullet." - Gun Advocate from Chatterbox FM.

Didn't have a problem with it in L.A Noire and besides, as someone mentioned above, more disks = more content.

More the merrier, bring it on!

All the more game to play, better value, more fun. I hope it's 7 or 8 disks for the Crap Box and 2 for the Play Slut 3 with one disk installed to the hard drive.

I remember load times and disk changes constantly growing up, something this big deserves a disk change if it requires it. And if the map is on every disk that should be no issue for Crap Box users.

I really hope that they make it as big as they want it to be. I don't want the xbox version to put limits to the game.

Too bad for the xbox.

Lol, crap box biggrin.gif

.... And yes, i think it will be several discs for the xbox (crap box biggrin.gif).

Edited by GTA4L1fe

Is a shame, the 360 disk so outdated and only holds little space compared to the ps3 blu ray disk, but if it had to come out on multiple disk, i would still buy it without a doubt.

As long as it doesn't interrupt free roaming its fine with me. Also, that would mean the game is massive and I would love that.

Has anyone played Forza 3 or 4? Both of those have 2 disks, the one main game disk and an install disk for the rest of the content. GTA V would work amazingly with say disk one as the play disk, with all the missions/characters/peds on it. And disk 2 as an install disk with the map and cars and such on it. Exactly the same as the PC version of IV. There is absolutly no reason why rockstar cant do this. And, it wouldnt be a pain in the ass, considering you only have to install it once. I'm honestly surprised that i'm the only one thats mentioned this?

As long as free roaming isn't affected, it's all right. It is a little annoying, but it's better than having a vanilla version of the game with the same features and same everything like GTA IV but in a new city and story. A lot better actually.

Mass Effect 2 had two discs, as well. You're just plain lazy if your disappointed about multiple discs.

WUDSnYa.png

Well as GTA4 was on one disk surely the most would be 2 disks? That isn't really a problem is it?

It really isn't a problem actually, but L.A. Noire had 3 disks, and the reason for that was partly because of the Motion Scan animation which takes up a lot of space. Considering that it's highly likely this will be used in GTA V, and we may get a lot of features like San Andreas, prepare for disk swapping.

Multiple discs would likely mean V is very different from previous GTA games. It worked with L.A. Noire as the game was strictly linear so each disc could be used for a section of the story/game. The map was also present on all discs, which kept the required swaps throughout the game down to an acceptable 2.

For GTA V the options would be either to break the game's map apart into entirely separate areas with disc swaps between the areas - when using airports for example, to make the game a lot more linear than previous titles or to force switching back and forth between discs during freeroaming/gameplay (a hideous idea that R* wanted to avoid at all costs with Noire).

If they were to go the route of having the entire map on each disc then to keep the freedom of previous GTA games you'd need so much other repeated content that the amount of swaps - and discs - would be insane.

Also, for those saying it doesn't matter as we'll be able to install the game, chances are you'll still need to swap discs, as was the case with L.A. Noire. It seems unlikely that there would be one play disc and 1 or 2 install discs as that would mean 360 owners without hard drives couldn't play the game. If it is spread across multiple discs this would probably be the ideal way to handle it though... for those with hard drives at least.

@mikecyclexxx With Forza the content on the second disc isn't required to play the core game, but that idea wouldn't really work with a sandbox game.

Edited by something_else

hW0sZKX.png

Multiple discs is a possibility and I don't see nothing bad in it. I just hope they won't make each island of the city separately on each disc, that would destroy the gameplay, especially on multiplayer.

5 Protagonists Prove/Theory

"Guns don't kill people, death kills people! Ask a doctor, it's a medical fact, you can't die from a bullet." - Gun Advocate from Chatterbox FM.

Wouldn't happen on the PS3 but it would be annoying to say the least. FFS i dont want to have to change a disc whenever i want to go to a different part of the game. This is the 21st century.

Wouldn't happen on the PS3 but it would be annoying to say the least. FFS i dont want to have to change a disc whenever i want to go to a different part of the game. This is the 21st century.

Like someone else already stated.... It wont happen that you have to swap discs on freeroam map.

ps3 to an extent? not possible. blu ray has 50gb. either they will release it on 2 or 3 dvd"s for 360 or just force 360 owners to have an HD. i really hope microsoft gets it together soon. im tired of other platforms having to suffer cuts due to there horrible design of media. maybe they will release another redesigned system and this time GIVE IT A BLU RAY DRIVE! watch xbox 720 have dvd media again and no hard drive at launch. they better get it together soon... glad im sony only and pre 2005 nintendo. and some sega... no offence 360 fanboys if my words hurt you...

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

For anyone with BluRay BD Playstation 3, why on earth would you need multiple discs? You just wouldn't

As I said before, BD is far away beyond normal DVD and even Dual Layer capacity DVD-9

Anyway, it's pretty likely you will see multiple discs, not entirely sure, however