Can't Run GTA4 or EFLC. Halp!

rizuhbull

As the title says, I can't run GTA4 or it's expansions. It always crashes, and I have to reset my computer by holding the power button. CTRL+ALT+DLT doesn't stop the game. It's always about 60 seconds in-game, it'll black screen regardless of the settings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any tips on installing mods for beginners is also welcome, but first I'd like the game to actually run. Like it says you need patch 10.40, so is that the latest steam patch? Or what? If not, how do I roll back patches? Also, any command lines I can enter in launch properties to fix this mess of a game?

So far I've tried running in compatibility mode Vista SP1. Reinstalling GFWL. Setting GTA4 to "High" priority. Re-installing the game. Validating the game. Nothing has worked.

It's the Steam version btw.

PC Specs...

AMD Phenom X4 3.20 GHz

ATI 5770

W7 64-bit

700W Corsair

4GB RAM

Running the game at 1440X900 (Also tried running at 1280X720)

Edited by rizuhbull

Generally it's not advisable to use the reset button often, more often you use it, more often you'll use it. As a rule of the thumb, GTAIV shouldn't cause system hangs. How old is your os install? How much software do you have installed?

Generally it's not advisable to use the reset button often, more often you use it, more often you'll use it. As a rule of the thumb, GTAIV shouldn't cause system hangs. How old is your os install? How much software do you have installed?

That's what worries me. I never need to do it otherwise. GTA4 is the only game that does this to my PC, and I'm very hesitant to even try running it again unless I have a damn good belief that the problem is fixed.

Not that old, 7ish months? Not much software either. Why? I don't see how this should affect the game. Just curious.

There should be a shortcut in the GTAIV program group in start menu.

I'm not finding it ;_;

but if I do, what are the chances this won't crash my PC?

YankeesPwnMets
Slim. You can use the "-safemode" commadline switch.

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=458859

The odds are slim it won't crash my system again? confused.gif

I don't understand, how do you use command lines? The link says what they are, but not how to use them.

Read careefully

the file needs to be named "commandline.txt", not "commandline.txt.txt" which could happen if you have hidden system extensions. Your best bet is to open up notepad, write your commandline switches inside and then save it as "commandline.txt" or just "commandline", it doesn't matter as notepad will append the ".txt" extension if you omit it.

Slim. You can use the "-safemode" commadline switch.

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=458859

The odds are slim it won't crash my system again? confused.gif

I don't understand, how do you use command lines? The link says what they are, but not how to use them.

Read careefully

the file needs to be named "commandline.txt", not "commandline.txt.txt" which could happen if you have hidden system extensions. Your best bet is to open up notepad, write your commandline switches inside and then save it as "commandline.txt" or just "commandline", it doesn't matter as notepad will append the ".txt" extension if you omit it.

So if I wrote "-safemode" in a notepad and stuck it in the GTA 4 directory, it'd run in safemode? Would safemode make it work correctly?

How the hell can we know what's going to happen?

I was simply asking for a guess, no need to get all riled up.

But I need to ask again, is writing that in a notepad and sticking it in the directory going to run the game in safemode?

I'm not riled up, you are simply asking silly questions, this is not a science.

If you followed the instructions to the letter, yes the game will run in safe mode.

I'm not riled up, you are simply asking silly questions, this is not a science.

If you followed the instructions to the letter, yes the game will run in safe mode.

Well I apologize if I offended.

I ran it in safemode, and got this...

user posted image

Then I bumped up the settings to medium and immediately got this...

user posted image

I think it's safe to say this is the problem. For whatever reason, the game is destroying my PC, when it should be more than capable of running it.

Any ideas? confused.gif

61°C for a GPU is perfectly safe, low even. Did the game run in safe mode?

Yeah. But it began to become unstable when I bumped it to medium.

YankeesPwnMets

How hot is your CPU? Use this program to check:

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Also, I'll explain why mkey MIGHT be a little annoyed. Me, him and many other people have been helping users in this section for a fairly long time. We give them SIMPLE instructions, yet their reading abilities, or lack of thereof, continue to just annoy us. The simplest things cannot be done by certain people, and some of these people are NATIVE English speakers. You haven't been around long enough to see it, but it is frustrating when someone can't follow something like

Install this update from AMD/Nvidia/Microsoft/Rockstar/whatever

*link*

It isn't rocket science, yet some people treat it as if it is. Hell, I'm sure they don't bother to even DOWNLOAD the file before asking. If you read the instructions, then it is easier then scrambling an egg. Also, some of you never bother to experiment. All you do (not just you, but MANY others) just read the instructions, then ask if this would work or not without bothering to experiment this. We don't take these steps out of a book. We think, and we try to think about a possible solution, then we put all this technical mumbo jumbo into fifth grade language and some people STILL don't try it or don't even bother to clearly read it. We take time out of our daily lives to help, yet some people don't bother to acknowledge it, just spamming away asking for help by their bumping topics every 5 minutes if there is no reply, and when we don't reply within their "time limit" all they do is insult, spam, curse and say that no one cares about them. Do you know how insanely frustrating it is when people only think about themselves, or don't bother to read anything we type? This is not the easiest game to troubleshoot, so maybe if you help mkey out by trying out his steps instead of just skimming through it and asking another question, then he wouldn't be a little irritated.

All of that + the fact this is only a fan support forum, nothing more nothing less.

And I wasn't irritated at all really. Beside the assumption stating I was irritated, that did irritate me a bit tounge.gif

YankeesPwnMets

Yes, and NONE of us are employees of Rockstar. I'm a employee of Microsoft, but in no way does that mean I have the ability to trouble shoot everything on the Windows platform. Some Rockstar employees might have never even HEARD of the errors that some users send to them.

We can't solve everything here. Quite frankly, I really have no clue on what might be going wrong with your game. It just looks like another case where R* just stole your money

I understand, no worries tounge.gif just let me know if I'm being hard to work with.

Not running GTA 4...

user posted image

Running it on safemode...

user posted image

Running it at medium settings...

user posted image

I only kept it on medium for long enough to get a temp reading because I'm worried, but those are the results. Anything look wrong? I'm very ignorant when it comes to pcs, but I'd say they all look fine. ;_;

YankeesPwnMets

They look fine..

quite honestly, I have no clue what may be going on here. Last resort would be to dual boot, install another copy of Windows 7 and see if the game works in a fresh OS.

Seems I'm just out of luck. I can record it locking up if you want. I'll need to wait a few days to get my camera back from a friend though. Normally I'd use Fraps, but obviously that isn't going to work here.