graphics card for a laptop

kronos258

hello all

i installed gta4 about 5 days ago and when i went to play it it didn't work, i sooner then found out thatit was to do withmy graphics card, me being no good at computers didn't realy understand what thatmeant or how to

i do not know what i need to tell you so i will show you my laptop basic stuff:

Manufacturer: Acer

Model: Aspire 4820T

Rating: 3.9 windows experience Index

Processor: Intel® Core i3 CPU M 380 @ 2.53GHz 2.53 GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 4:00 GB (3:68 Usable)

System type: 64-bit Operating System

Pen and touch: No pen or Touch input is available for this display

that is some basic infomation, i hope that made sense to some of you.

And this is the system requirments for gta4

OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / Windows XP - Service Pack 3

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz, AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4GHz

Memory: 1.5GB XP / 1.5GB Vista

Graphics: 256MB Nvidia 7900 / 256MB ATI X1900

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c Compliant Card

Hard Drive: 16GB of Hard Disc Space

Sound Card: 5.1 Channel Audio Card

Other Requirements: Initial activation requires internet connection; Online play requires log-in to Games For Windows - Live and Rockstar Games Social Club (13+ to register); software installations required including Adobe Flash, DirectX, Microsoft’s .NET Framework 3.0, Games For Windows - LIVE, and Internet Explorer

and someone told me it is to do with my graphics card.

so please reply to this, at least tell me what the problem is or if you need any more infomation, but i'm desperate, please help me or tell me how to get a new graphics card FOR A LAPTOP if that is the problem.

Edited by kronos258

You don't have a graphics card. The graphics chip is integrated and comes with your CPU. It means your laptop not capable of much more than light gaming at a smooth framerate.

Acer laptops cannot be upgraded, so unfortunately there is nothing you can do outside of buying a new laptop, PC or getting a console.

DU8afL0.jpg

You don't have a graphics card. The graphics chip is integrated and comes with your CPU. It means your laptop not capable of much more than light gaming at a smooth framerate.

Acer laptops cannot be upgraded, so unfortunately there is nothing you can do outside of buying a new laptop, PC or getting a console.

seriously there is nothing you can do not even like plug somthing in, well thx anyway for replying

seriously there is nothing you can do not even like plug somthing in, well thx anyway for replying

You can't, in this case.

3lIXKDi.png

You can't, in this case.

You can(if you can find the parts), but it WILL be A LOT more than a new and better laptop, as you will need a new motherboard and processor as well, and for laptops motherboards are $500+(according to a local repair shop in the Gulfcoast area-and this was back in 2007, so I would assume it is more expensive today, with inflation? confused.gif )

Unfortunetly(spelling?), that is not entirely true either, as I have an XP Pro SP3 with an Intel Centrino(Core2Duo) @2.0GHZ, 2GB RAM, and an Intel GMA 965 w/128MB dedicated vram, and can Max. out III, VC, and SA with little to no lag on SA and NO lag on III and VC...so, it is ONLY on newer games that won't fare well with Integrated cards..Just a friendly heads up.. tounge2.giflol.gif

You can't, in this case.

You can(if you can find the parts), but it WILL be A LOT more than a new and better laptop, as you will need a new motherboard and processor as well, and for laptops motherboards are $500+(according to a local repair shop in the Gulfcoast area-and this was back in 2007, so I would assume it is more expensive today, with inflation? confused.gif )

Unfortunetly(spelling?), that is not entirely true either, as I have an XP Pro SP3 with an Intel Centrino(Core2Duo) @2.0GHZ, 2GB RAM, and an Intel GMA 965 w/128MB dedicated vram, and can Max. out III, VC, and SA with little to no lag on SA and NO lag on III and VC...so, it is ONLY on newer games that won't fare well with Integrated cards..Just a friendly heads up.. tounge2.giflol.gif

what is integrated, is it i worse version dedacated or somthing?

what is integrated, is it i worse version dedacated or somthing?

integrated means it comes either with the CPU or motherboard and cannot be upgraded

so a discrete, (graphics card only) dedicated graphics card will be much better

Integrated GPU in this case is used for 2D stuff, so you can save some power when there is no need for higher graphics processing. In other systems, when a dedicated GPU is present, when there is some load system switches to the dedicated GPU.

Integrated GPU in this case is used for 2D stuff, so you can save some power when there is no need for higher graphics processing. In other systems, when a dedicated GPU is present, when there is some load system switches to the dedicated GPU.

thank you

my mom upgraded her acer laptop with a new card. Your thinking netbooks.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

No - I was thinking laptops. Upgrading RAM is all fine and dandy, but new laptop graphics chips however - no. Acer laptops (among most others) do not even have cards - they are soldered onto the motherboard and hidden underneath a large heatsink. To upgrade this with an Acer laptop you'd have to (somehow find and) purchase a new, compatible motherboard for the laptop - as well as install a new cooling system (which may be impossible due to the size restraints etc). You may even have to go as far as ditch your old processor as well if it is permanently soldered to the motherboard, further increasing the price of the replacement.

It is simply not practical nor worth the money, so I don't believe you.

DU8afL0.jpg

No - I was thinking laptops. Upgrading RAM is all fine and dandy, but new laptop graphics chips however - no. Acer laptops (among most others) do not even have cards - they are soldered onto the motherboard and hidden underneath a large heatsink. To upgrade this with an Acer laptop you'd have to (somehow find and) purchase a new, compatible motherboard for the laptop - as well as install a new cooling system (which may be impossible due to the size restraints etc). You may even have to go as far as ditch your old processor as well if it is permanently soldered to the motherboard, further increasing the price of the replacement.

It is simply not practical nor worth the money, so I don't believe you.

no my moms CAN be updated. Here: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=a...ed=0CJYBEPICMAc

Thats hers.

The card is a very small one. She needed it for graphic design crap. Its small and fits in the expandable wifi slot. Thats where it goes. Not as fast as she wanted though.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image