Which copy do I buy?

No-longer-a-PS-Fanboy

No-longer-a-PS-Fanboy

Ok, so i just made myself a new PC, and im looking to mod san andreas, I've wanted to for quite a while now, but I've been doin a bit of research and some versions aren't moddable. It looks like i shouldn't buy it off steam, which is what i wanted to do, so what copies are v.2 and v.1, and where can i get them? That being said, does a disc copy or a digital copy make a big difference when it comes to modding?

aStiffSausage

I would recommend getting Steam-version of the game, as there's no risk of breaking the disk and you can easily prove you own the game. It's also moddable, you just need to copy it to another location and apply a patch on it, and you got two versions: Moddable and non-moddable Steam version.

No-longer-a-PS-Fanboy

Ok thanks, However this is my first real gaming PC, so i'm pretty much learning this from the ground up. I don't suppose you have any links or walkthroughs on how to do this?

aStiffSausage

I'm not familiar with the structure of Steam-version, but I think it should be similar to the one of v1.0. Just get yourself two (three) needed files: v1.0 main.scm (+ script.img) and gta_sa.exe (Hoodlum No-CD, can't provide link as it's against forum rules). It should work like a charm. smile.gif

No-longer-a-PS-Fanboy

Ok. I've been reading up that the Steam ver is V3.0 and is similar to 2.0, so could I possibly use a downgrader?

Edited by No-longer-a-PS-Fanboy

aStiffSausage

Downgrader might work too, see YouTube for easy instructions for downgrading San Andreas. (Search for "GTA SA Steam downgrade" or similar)

No-longer-a-PS-Fanboy

I think after all this I'd rather just get a v2, so do i have to get a disc or is there anywhere i can legally download SA v2.0?

Edit: Actually found a downgrader for v3, only downside is it disables saving. Anybody know of a downgrader that doesn't have this problem for v3?

Edited by No-longer-a-PS-Fanboy

I'd just buy the hard disc from Amazon or your local games shop. You can get 1.0 without any hassles as well as having the hard copy in case something goes wrong. smile.gif

pkmTc.gif

Yes, just buy a disc copy from your local place, they should be cheap enough these days. Most "off the shelf" copies will be a later version but you can downgrade easily to v1, which you can mod. Steam versions? not so simple. but you pay your money, take your pick. Let us know what you choose, plenty of folks here will be happy to help some more.