Report: GTA V Will Have Multiple Playable Characte

Kacj321

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1210745p1.html

I just saw this article and wonder what if they did this. Here is part of it

"Grand Theft Auto games have traditionally included one playable character, but a new rumor suggests that Grand Theft Auto V could break the mold. Multiple sources have told Kotaku that the game will feature multiple playable characters throughout its story. They've also heard reports that the game will feature a fictional version of Los Angeles, though it hasn't been confirmed if that means San Andreas. "

-

Edited by Marwin

L71cGcK.png

people may hink this because of LA Noire... i dunno. I was thinking it can be stuff in a new mp coop mode or something

Kotaku.

But Rockstar did it in RDR, and L.A. Noire. And in some ways, with GTA + EFLC.

RDR was different though, because the change of character happened when the main character died. I seriously doubt that's going to happen 5 times over the course of GTAV.

Kotaku.

But Rockstar did it in RDR, and L.A. Noire. And in some ways, with GTA + EFLC.

Indeed, i just hope it wont be like in rdr, more optional.

And lets not forget gta1, yeah yeah, I know

Snake Without a Tongue

RDR and LA NOIRE did so it must be permanent! DERP!

This is why I hate gaming sites and magazines. The trolls around here provide better opinions.

Anyway, I don't see this happening.

I'm sick of NY and LA. They are featured in far too many things. Please, no LA. Please, no NY. Please, no big, gray city either like Chicago. Give me something vibrant like a modern VC or Atlanta or Ibiza or Paris....hell, even some Aspen or Whistler, BC.

I said this in another thread as well

Holy sh*t! what if...hmmm....multiple characters....Niko booked ticket to San Andreas.....Packie is heading to an unkown destination...what if?

(On social club page you could find a airline ticket where it said that Niko had booked a ticket from Liberty City to San Andreas)

If this would be it, then god help us all, cuz the world would be filled with jizz everywhere.

RDR and LA NOIRE did so it must be permanent! DERP!

This is why I hate gaming sites and magazines. The trolls around here provide better opinions.

Anyway, I don't see this happening.

it's just speculation, i think people are just asking about it mainly and not trying to troll. i could see it happening, because it seems like R* is heading in that direction. R* loves to tell a story from different perspectives and there's nothing wrong with that. the main problem i had with IV was its characters. there weren't strong chars imo, not even Niko. to me, R* has always been a franchise that pride themselves into character development. u didn't get that at all in IV, they were all so unrelated and made no sense, they just didn't work well together.

i think if u have multiple different chars, i think R* will find a really good way to tell the story and develop all the chars. so hopefully, the game goes back to unique story telling and not a just a major focus on the city alone, which imo they achieved well in IV, but that was really it.

don't get me wrong tho, i'm not saying to focus less on the city, because the city itself is a character in its own way, that needs to be HIGHLY developed.

think of multiple story telling like tarrentino movies. i mean, his movies are highly regarded as having the best character development in film history. that's what V needs, a great plot and they can achieve it better by telling different stories. u could tell they had so much going on in their minds with IV, they just didn't know how to include it, with one char/one story. i think that's the main reason why it felt like a smorgasbord of craziness that didn't work well.

I have a feeling this got discussed a long time ago, before the logo and announcement for the trailer appeared.... The whole cop and gangster thing.

I'm still very excited for the trailer. THhis is GTA people!

grope_4_that_date

It could work. But— they have to introduce all the characters in the beginning of the game.

Scenario one: You are introduced to two brothers from the start. Both are funny, charming, and likeable. Eventually, one dies, and you play as the other person.

Scenario two: You get to choose. You can either play as the ‘good guy’ cop or the ‘bad guy’ criminal.

This has already be discussed quite a lot in the announcement thread. No real news, I imagine its just marketing for the website. They can make up anything they like.

Just wait for the trailer!!

Actually', i find the idea of being a corrupted cop could be fun.

I also hope that you will be able to do break-ins

But R* does not usually leak much.... lets just wait and see shall we?

Edited by Jimmarn

I hope you get to choose what character to play, and that each character has his own story. 5 short stories * 4 hours (like TBoGT) is better than 1 long big story that takes 20 hours to complete imo. Would offer a lot more diversity and replayability to the game.

I really hope there isn't multiple characters though, I just want a single likeable protagonist.

It could work. But— they have to introduce all the characters in the beginning of the game. So, for example, you are introduced to two brothers from the start. Both are funny, charming, and likeable. Eventually, one dies, and you play as the other person.

Scenario two— you get to choose. You can either play as the ‘good guy’ cop or the ‘bad guy’ criminal.

they don't have to be tied down to introducing all chars in the beginning, in fact the game can be broken down into different sections, like chapters. that's just a quick example, i'm just saying there are definitely a ton of ways to implement a couple to several different main chars. the only obstacle is how u transition it, which i'm sure isn't a hard problem to solve.

a lot of people seem sick of cities like NY and LA, i mean they did just make LA Noire and IV was in NY last. seems like vegas is a major focus in gaming, u know? with games like fallout and dead rising, i'm not opposed to SA, but i really like the idea of entirely new city, specifically built around D.C.

i wouldn't even mind detroit (carcer city) even tho i live here and can tell u first hand, that there is nothing interesting that goes on here besides petty crimes. there's not a lively population like NY and LA, i think this year has been a good year cuz of the lions tho, lol.

This is still all just speculation, even from Kotaku.

I say that Rockstar sticks with multiple protagonists in DLC's; I'd hate having to play as more than one character in a "single" installment. One long story is ten times more valuable than multiple short stories that do not interest me whatsoever. Rockstar needs to stay oriented to a main storyline with one character/multiple characters in DLCs and not multiplayer.

This is still all just speculation, even from Kotaku.

I say that Rockstar sticks with multiple protagonists in DLC's; I'd hate having to play as more than one character in a "single" installment. One long story is ten times more valuable than multiple short stories that do not interest me whatsoever. Rockstar needs to stay oriented to a main storyline with one character/multiple characters in DLCs and not multiplayer.

Exactly, or even better than DLC just have them all on the game straight away. No connection between the stories, just different protagonists in different areas of the game

This is somewhat off topic but someone made a thread long ago saying that it would of made more sense if San Andreas had multiple protagonist. I think that's probably true and could work well in a future title.

I like the 3 stories mixed together like GTA 4 did. That's something I'd like to be able to do if I ever made a video game. I love how they put it all together...3 chars. 3 stories. Same city. It all happen all at once. I like how so much got into their minds and how they made it work.

Would be cool to see how different characters intersect and their POV on the more-or-less "main" character prespective, without having to get a DLC (i.e. getting it all in one game). It's a very complex idea to put in motion in a single game, but if anyone can pull it off it's Rockstar.

i have no stress, because i know Rockstar can make a sh*tty idea, look great! So now i think - multiple characters?! come on! BUT i am sure Rockstar will make it interesting!

this is still from kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5853279/grand-theft-auto...iple-characters

They are not a good source of info. They have been coping stuff from gta forums and saying its all real and they take stuff from here as there own. Dont believe it.

They would NEVER do that. Having more then 1 player character. It would be to risky to see fan reactions.

There most likely confused. If 5 player characters are there... its not in one game.

It would be like: (random character names)

MAIN GAME: Bob

EPISODE 1: Joe

EPISODE 2: Laura

EPISODE 3: Tookie

EPISODE 4: Mookie

Thats how there talking most likely.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

come on if we want to do that they should give us in DLC thats enough....

This is just plain stupid idea.. it would not work.. it would make GTA behind all the crap games which stole the idea from it...

This is just plain stupid idea.. it would not work.. it would make GTA behind all the crap games which stole the idea from it...

no game stole ideas from GTA. Driver came out as the first 3d driving open world game and gta 3 followed. People keep saying all other games like saints row took gta 3`s idea. No... gta 3 took driver 1 and 2`s idea. tounge.gif

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

no game stole ideas from GTA. Driver came out as the first 3d driving open world game and gta 3 followed. People keep saying all other games like saints row took gta 3`s idea. No... gta 3 took driver 1 and 2`s idea. tounge.gif

Uh, you forget that GTA3 wasn't the first GTA game. Driver was to GTA was "Gangstar" was to Chinatown Wars on the iphone.