why gta iv is working so freaking SLOW

dregomz

Month ago i bought new computer. I thought it'll be awesome for new games also for gta iv, because i had low fps with last comp.

My new one is radeon 6850 asus + athlon x4 645 @3.1 + 4gb ddr2 kingston. And gta iv fps is like on old computer... i said what the heck and tried to find fix. I clocked cpu, card and no effect on fps, tired some fixes with win 7 like running like win xp and no effect.

my old rig: radeon 4850 + athlon x2 5000+ and 2gb ram ddr2

Almost same fps - 2 different rigs - same resolution 1280 x 1024 - low -mid- high it doesn't matter i getting 7 - 17 - 25 (all time) - 35(max when looking to warehouse ph34r.gif ) fps at day and >20-29 (max 35) fps at night

latest radeon drivers

I noticed also have some problems with other games like brink, newest stalker, vindictus

i hope you can help me...

EDIT: my psu is ocz stealthxstream 500w

and motherboard: asrock n68s-ucc

and gta iv benchmarks say i getting 44ffps mercie_blink.gifmoto_whistle.gif fraps in-game showing no more than 20-30

Edited by dregomz

and gta iv benchmarks say i getting 44ffps  mercie_blink.gif  moto_whistle.gif fraps in-game showing no more than 20-30

The ingame benchmark is inaccurate, some get 60 fps in the benchmark. While really playing, they got about 40 fps.

Don't trust the result, the benchmark is broken wink.gif

You could try commandline.

Also, use patch 1.0.4.0. It's the best patch performance-wise.

Your problem is the CPU. The Radeon 6850 is more than capable of playing GTA IV @ high.

Also, enable "definition" and enable MLAA in the catalyst control center. Makes the game look much better than with GTA IV's ingame blur.

The Athlon X4 should be able to deliver half way decent FPS. Remember, the game only uses three threads.

With that CPU i'd leave the sliders at 25 max.

Also, lock the framerate @ 30 fps to maintain a steady performance. You can't get a constant 60 fps in the game unless you have a sandy brdige CPU.

i don't think a used stealthxstream 500w is enough to run gta IV with hd 6850 and a loaded system. how many hard drives and optical drives are installed, and how are they wired? how many fans are in the system. what computer case is used?

edit:

no effect on fps, tired some fixes with win 7 like running like win xp and no effect.

try running with all effects enabled also

Edited by unc13bud