Forgotten IV

Rhoda

I was going to prelude this with a long winded paragraph about my personal gaming history with R*, but instead I'll keep it short and sweet.

Will the release of V take away the experience from IV, much like VC and SA did for III?

Now I'm not saying those two titles completely overshadowed III, but the leaps both in technical achievements and the sheer amount of things to do dwarfed III in more ways than one. If you compare what was available in San Andreas as apposed to our outing to Liberty City back in 2001, the progression is really quite something - golf carts, car modification, haircuts and helicopters. Hell, we didn't get the option to dive out of a moving vehicle until Vice City, so it's natural for some to neglect III in a way. It'll be the game that kicked the experience off for many of course, and it will lure gamers back but the newer games almost always prevail.

I started a new file on IV about two weeks ago after getting a new XBox and profile. Now, the whole experience seems kind of... empty to me, and I don't know why. It's weird to think that soon, people won't play IV for absolutely ages, leaving unique characters such as Roman, Jacob and Packie behind. While some weren't exactly memorable, it was still a great game to play and the anticipation for it was like nothing before. The only thing that's matching it is how I'm feeling for V at the moment.

So, will V overshadow IV and the episodic content for you, or do you feel you'll still return to Liberty?

Soon after I complete the V, I'll surely return to Liberty city for another walk through the amazing story it had. I still can have the EFLC before that, as I haven't played them yet. blush.gif

IV will be the best game to keep myself busy while waiting for the NeXt (Will it be called SiX? lol.gif ) but it surely depends on how GTAV is at its replay value.

I think (I Hope) that V will be something like San Andreas compared to III in the last generation. I hope people think back and say IV was like III but for this generation, It really gave us a glimpse of a truly awesome game. What I would like now is something similar to San Andreas, where people will see V as a whole new change in gaming but also remember what we started out with, IV, III and those games.

IV had terrible weather/dry hot vomit-inducing visuals, and the multiplayer is still broken, the only reason I could find to play it over SA multi is because of the sync and trainers that fix multiplayer (no cars etc), overall SA is still the king.

It goes without saying that no one will have to suffer those visuals in V (That is, if you hated them to begin with), Can't wait for IV to be cremated.

Considering i traded my xbox version in because i hadnt played it for over a year i very much doubt i will revist iv. might go and finish bogt on pc soon though but other than that i dont have that much of an interest in it. in actual fact i would visit san an again before IV

wtBEybp.png

gLs7a8h.png
MODQEwD.png

I play MP nearly every day, even if its just for 1 or 2 races, - I love some of the 'tracks' and will likely play from time to time.

I have to admit , I have dropped past GTA's like hot potatoes as soon as another comes out as their usually bigger / better.

I disagree.

I think every game in the franchise can be enjoyed for the unique properties each game brings to the table. So more recent games have overcome great leaps and bounds whether it be graphics, gameplay, or overall story and the way its told. But, I for one won't simply abandon games of the past. Hell, even now I sometimes go back to GTA 2 and have a lot of fun with it. Each game has memories and experiences of mine tied to it, the older games I enjoy for there nostalgic value.

I guess since I'm a more old school gamer, it takes something pretty impressive in the current generation to even spark my interest, I have a different mentality then those who simply leave behind old games when something new comes around. They newer games may be bigger with more to do in them, but that doesn't necessarily make them better. In fact, I like GTA III more then any other for the PS2. That might be hard for some of you to understand, but it has a certain charm to it that will never be matched.

Edited by Corpsefiend

IV will always have a place in my heart. It was the first next gen game I ever played. It blew me away like no other game before it, just like III. I will definitely go back and play it every now and again. It is one of my favorites.

People shat on it because they didn't understand what it was trying to be, but that's OK. I have a feeling now we have a new GTA to concentrate on, the hate for IV will simmer down. Finally.

I disagree.

I think every game in the franchise can be enjoyed for the unique properties each game brings to the table. Such more recent games have overcome great leaps and bounds whether it be graphics, gameplay, or overall story and the way its told. But, I for one won't simply abandon games of the past. Hell, even now I sometimes go back to GTA 2 and have a lot of fun with it. Each game has memories and experiences of mine tied to it, the older games I enjoy for there nostalgic value.

I guess since I'm a more old school gamer, it takes something pretty impressive in the current generation to even spark my interest, I have a different mentality then those who simply leave behind old games when something new comes around. They newer games may be bigger with more to do in them, but that doesn't necessarily make them better. In fact, I like GTA III more then any other for the PS2. That might be hard for some of you to understand, but it has a certain charm to it that will never be matched.

^Agreed. GTAIII on PS2 was the most fun and best time I had with any game, it does indeed have a ton of greatness that cannot be explained easily.

----------

I have had an on/off relationship with IV for the half-good reasons in my other post, I played the multi for a week about 6 months ago, the glitches do bring it down though, I had my shiny new Galaxy SII aswell and was wishing there was an IV live radar/map app for it.

Yesterday I noticed I still have it sitting among my DVDs, I thought I disposed of it. Never mind, too much work required to get it going again. (Patches, dlls, hooks, trainers)

I still play GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas.

But I also play other, even older games.

So no, I will not abandon GTA IV.. RDR on the other hand, been there done that.. I'm no longer getting anything out of RDR which is kinda sad..

Harwood Butch3r

Just like the GTA III era I'll still come back to GTA IV. I've said this a few times, but I think GTA IV is taken too much for granted. If it wasn't for it RDR wouldn't be half the the game it is and if GTA V is as epic as most of us think it'll be it owes a lot to GTA IV. Pretty much like VC and SA are to GTA III.

VC will always be my sentimental favourite, but GTA IV is the best thing that's ever happened to the series IMO. Unfortunately it doesn't always get the credit it deserves.

I don't know if IV changed my life for the better, but it certainly changed my life. It was the first time I realised the possibility of existing in a digital space. I had xbl before I got a new PC after a six year gap with no internet, so the effect on me of interacting with people in a gameworld online was quite profound. I have a few good friends who I first met in Liberty City - that's not something you can easily forget.

9322068076_d79a001db2_o.jpg

I will newer forget about IV. I still play it.

Hope V will be like a ''Sequel'' or ''Prequel'' to IV. Just like the III-era ... Vice City Stories(Prequel To) < Vice City(Prequel To) < San Andreas(Prequel To) < Liberty City Stories(Prequel To) < III.

Hope they will go the same way, and at the end, u will have a BIG f*cking story.

It's just fact that some people were not impressed by the location, weather playing a part in all that, and physics as another, and obviously, only helicopters for flight. GTA IV was still an impressive game, but I get the feeling it divided many of the GTA neXt fans, not realism being the one factor, but it was confined in a way.

Are you asking about the status of GTA IV once it's well into the rear-view mirror? I'd say that GTA V and any successive titles that are complete will usurp the previous one on the FAV list.

As some musicians will tell you about their favorite album (of their own work), They'd say "The Next One" with unerring conviction that it will be the best one yet.

I'll revisit Liberty City when I haven't played it for a long, long time and I forget all the negative things I feel about the city. Or I'll play through TBOGT at some stage.

The characters in IV never really appealed to me much like the III characters such as Rosenberg, Kent Paul, Maccer. Well, Gay Tony was great character as was the Italian goon, The Saudi and Ray Boccino but I wont really miss any of them in V. Although I will miss seeing characters when they're younger or older.

Now that it seems IV era is now over, I'm a little disappointed. The great thing about the III era was say meeting Rosenberg in '86 and then seeing him in '92, older and wearing different clothes.

In the IV era we only see people we met in different games in the same timeline.

Anyway, yes, it's always nice to revisit old cities in GTA. IV will be like III and if you want to go back to do a rampage or just drive around, you'll probably notice the lack of features even more after playing 'the big one' (V)

I still play GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas.

But I also play other, even older games.

So no, I will not abandon GTA IV.. RDR on the other hand, been there done that.. I'm no longer getting anything out of RDR which is kinda sad..

For me, RDR MP was just a joyous thing, and by and large, that World was more interesting then GTA IV, though I might have spent about as much time in both. Red Dead Red may divide GTA players even more, what do you think?

I hope perhaps GTA V will spawn some DLC as well, I think it's more then likely. The plan for DLC with GTA IV was to keep that particular game going, Sam Houser has said, while Dan Houser said Ballad of Gay Tony would cap off as the final DLC, I guess... Very disappointed actually, I think it could have gone on and on really, but they pooled their resources in another direction, and with RDR and LA Noire, DLC is still part of the overall picture

Original Light

It will, only a little. But I will surely LC again, even when GTA V is the hotest GTA.