No Wanted Stars. Police realism, long searches.

omgiloveyourscriptbut

omgiloveyourscriptbut

When I blow things up in a crowded city, it seems strange that the police would stop looking for me or my car / license plate if I run / drive a short distance away. The mod Arrest Warrant seems amazing in adding recognition capacity / crimes that last over time, but I feel that we should go one step further and remove the 'chase-is-immediately-over-if-get-far-away' aspect entirely of 'stars,' and search radii, (except to calculate how many police forces to send.)

Instead, the police should do what they do in reality, put your photo (if they have it,) on the news and have pedestrians identify you. Put your license plate on the news / APB for other cops throughout the city. You shouldn't be able to keep the same car/plates just by fleeing a certain distance. And if nobody has a description of the criminal (no pedestrians with cell phones or police officers see the actual crime, they just report gunshots or whatever,) then you shouldn't be arrested if you try to 'blend in with the crowd' by slipping through a few alleys. As it is now, if I acquire a wanted star without anyone getting a description of my face (or maybe I wore a mask, etc.) even if I sleuth through alleys and change clothes and walk through the street, the police would still 'know' I was flagged, and that's pretty unrealistic.

I'm looking into how to script what I've described. If Arrest Warrant is possible then everything above should be implementable. Can anyone offer any suggestions as where to start? I looked at the examples in the ScriptHook install but it only lists a few functions. Does anyone have a link to the whole library of possible inputs? I must have overlooked it but I keep looking for documentation / API references for ScriptHook / anything to see how Arrest Warrant works and I can't seem to find it. Would greatly appreciate relevant citations.

*Not requesting that anyone else code this, just looking for references to start making it happen.

Edited by omgiloveyourscriptbut

A very useful resource for the .NET scripthook is in the "scripts\for developers" folder. Check out the "GTA IV ScriptHook.Net Documentation.chm" file.

Another useful resource is this list of native functions, although many of them are still undocumented.

And a few things about Arrest Warrant:

- Wanted vehicles are probably the next thing I'll work on for v1.0.

- I considered having peds recognize you and call the police, but I decided it would just be really annoying. The many cops around the city are enough to worry about when you're notorious, I think.

- I also considered having the cops ID your clothes, and even made a basic implementation of it. But after some thinking and testing, I decided it would just make the already complex mod even more excessively complex, so I scrapped it. I might return to it in the future.

- I tried to account for the player wearing a mask, but I couldn't figure out how, unfortunately.

- If you like, you could increase the INI setting "HeightenedAlertSecsPerStar". This will make the police stay vigilant longer, after they've IDed you in a chase and you escape.

- I've thought about preventing chases when there aren't any gunshots or witnesses, but I'm not sure yet how to implement it...

omgiloveyourscriptbut

Hey, thanks for responding. Your mods are brilliant by the way and I have so much respect for you.

You are talking about "GTA IV ScriptHook.Net Documentation.chm" file from HazardX's release right?

As downloaded from here:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=392325

http://www.gta4-mods.com/tools/gta-iv-net-...0893-beta-f2941

The zip doesn't contain a Documentation.chm file. There's a "for developers" folder but just script folders / templates within with only a few functions covered.

The native function link is what I was looking for and should have found, thanks again. Not sure how I missed it.

- Wanted vehicles are probably the next thing I'll work on for v1.0.

You rock! Seriously I know you're not getting any compensation for this and since you're reading this just want to let you know (as others probably already have) that your work is fantastic and much appreciated. Since you're already planning on incorporating this feature I'll try looking through the native functions to incorporate the other aspects.

- I also considered having the cops ID your clothes, and even made a basic implementation of it. But after some thinking and testing, I decided it would just make the already complex mod even more excessively complex, so I scrapped it. I might return to it in the future.

Seems you have already thought of this idea and more probably. Props again for all the great work man.

For anyone else interested in this aspect of gameplay, this thread holds more ideas http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=475147&st=0

Ah, turns out you have to download the documentation separately. In the scripthook thread, scroll down to the "Writing new scripts" section.

I implemented a basic system for wanted vehicles tonight — I tend to work hard after some encouragement. tounge.gif

That thread is interesting. I've thought of a few of the things in there, like raids and witnesses, but a lot of them are beyond my ability, and I'm still busy with more basic features.

omgiloveyourscriptbut

Ah gosh I skipped right over that and was looking everywhere else! Thanks man and keep up the awesome work.