What about Max Payne 3?

Los Santos Pedestrian

Los Santos Pedestrian

Why would Rockstar suddenly announce the new GTA game while they have Max Payne 3 up and coming? Don't they wan't to have good sales for that game, even when the trailer is 5 months away from MP3's release?

I don't get that. It seems to me that an announcement so close to MP3's release, let alone GTA V's release in 2012, would disrupt sales for MP3 and having it shifted to V.

Good question, but it probably wouldn't matter in the end. Its not like GTA V will be released on the same day/month of MP 3, so sales shouldn't be effected. Then again I don't know sh*t.

caprisig.jpg

GTA V's announcement will probably generate more interest in Max since GTA fans will be flooding the Newswire searching for GTA info.

Sent from my ayePhone

I'm actually more interested in MP3 now that they've released the dazzling logo of GTA. Most people buy more than one game p/year I think. I do.

Who knows, maybe they'll use "Buy Max Payne and get X for GTA5" as a sales tool to boost MP3.

I'll kill babies if they do that

user posted image

There is a huge difference in an announcement, and a release date. This announcement will not hurt MP3 in the least. As long as they don't release the games at the same time, it should have very little effect. I'm getting both.

NotoriousKiller

It's as if the horse just smashed the fly. But they can still push MP3 sales if they tie in with GTA V somehow...

I love GTA, but why do so many underestimate the popularity of Max Payne? When a highly anticipated game or movie comes out, people don't just stop everything else they do. Max Payne is no slouch, obviously GTA is more popular, but BOTH titles will be epic. They are different experiences, apples and oranges. A better comparison would be a side by side between SR3 and GTA V.

Maybe GTAV was never meant to be released before MP3 but due to production delays the schedules got messed up, it happens.

Didn't they say to expect a new Max Payne 3 video this month?

Well, the month is almost over and..

>Honestly... Who gives a sh*t? GTA V!

A lot of people. Anyway, of course the announcement of V won't hurt sales. As long as they don't over blow the campaign, Max Payne 3 should be unharmed. In fact, this might boost sales. Some people might be encouraged to play Max Payne 3 while waiting for V to come out.

LoveMediaExecutive

I doubt GTA V will be out before Max Payne 3 and while everyone can pretty much agree it will probably eclipse Max Payne 3 in the gaming media, some people will probably be craving some Rockstar until V is out and they will probably dine on Max Payne 3 figuratively speaking to hold them over, I doubt Max Payne 3 will do poorly just because of GTA V's announcement.

zeppelincheetah

as much as i'm geeking out about this announcement, it makes no business sense to as much mention GTA V until after Max Payne's release. Dan (or was it Sam) Houser said in an interview to IGN that they don't know what's going to happen after Max Payne 3. I guess there was pressure from Take-Two to save their stocks by making an announcement.

GTA V's announcement will probably generate more interest in Max since GTA fans will be flooding the Newswire searching for GTA info.

Agreed. They must have calculated the increase of people accidentally seeing Max Payne 3 is much greater than the distraction from Max Payne 3. Considering all the attention the GTA III anniversary got, it makes perfect sense to pull the trigger now. They will temporarily cut off new GTA V info when they want to talk Max Payne.

leik oh em jeez!
Maybe GTAV was never meant to be released before MP3 but due to production delays the schedules got messed up, it happens.

Um, no. You're mixing up announcement and release date. GTA V probably won't be released for a year.

That would be in General Gaming Chat, not in the GTA V section, but of course, other games get mentioned here, it's just not relating enough to the section

lol the question should be "What about Saints Row 3?" because Rockstar KILLED that games hype, now ALL the focus is on GTA V.

Max Payne should do just fine, it will probably be released a 2 or 3 months before GTA V.

NotoriousKiller
lol the question should be "What about Saints Row 3?" because Rockstar KILLED that games hype, now ALL the focus is on GTA V.

Max Payne should do just fine, it will probably be released a 2 or 3 months before GTA V.

I think you're over exaggerating a bit. SR 3 is not losing any of the preorders and sales it was already going to get just because of GTA V was announced. But yeah... Everybody who knows has their eye on GTA V now.

I've been thinking about this as well. If I were them I would actually have waited until Max Payne 3 was released before I announced GTA V. There is a large chance that game will overshadow MP3. I think the reason they did it was because they realized that Max Payne 3 would not be able to carry R* through another year without a GTA announcement. They always have to think about their stockowners, and they were getting impatient.

user posted image

I've been thinking about this as well. If I were them I would actually have waited until Max Payne 3 was released before I announced GTA V. There is a large chance that game will overshadow MP3. I think the reason they did it was because they realized that Max Payne 3 would not be able to carry R* through another year without a GTA announcement. They always have to think about their stockowners, and they were getting impatient.

In other words, you say that the announcement wasn't planned in the first place, but it's just a response to the situation of impatient stock owners and players. I don't agree if that's what you mean. The announcement looks to have been planned carefully. The 1102 poll, which is another way to say 11/02/2011, the mention of GTA V for a 2011 release on an ex-employee's resume, the 10th anniversary of GTA III, the 3rd anniversary of Jack Thompson's disremebrant, VG247's early 2010 report which indicated an announcement during a Max Payne 3 event. It has been planned, and came as a surprise.

At one time, I and you believed in a 2014 release based on a crazy pattern. biggrin.gif

GTA V announce drives Take Two shares up

Edited by FiS!!HeR

Little William
max payne 3 can go to hell

Exactly! Screw Max Payne 3. Now that I know GTA V is going to be released next year, I am saving up to buy that than wasting my money on MP3.

GTA V sucks! Buy Watch Dogs instead!