When Can We Expect a Game Release?

Mister Pink

So, when do you think we can expect GTA V after the release of the last trailer based on previous releases of titles?

]EDIT: DECEMBER 22nd, 2011

I was in Gamestop today and the guy said that a memo went around the stores saying the release for GTA V is the start of September. They're also taking reservations now.

They had the covers of the game (well, just the logos) in boxes at the front counter. That will be 5/6 months after Max Payne release. Sounds like it could be right. /

I googled and found this...same info...

http://sillegamer.com/2011/10/25/grand-the...mestop-ireland/

EDIT: There is a possiblilty of a release in May. L.A. Noire and Red Dead Redemption were released in May. Next in line GTA V. May will be 6 months from November. Makes sense to me.

Rockstar usually do things outside the box. Also, Rockstars games ,amongst other games devs aswell, compete with film releases and box office sales. Most of the good films and games come out in time for Christmas, then the Oscars in the new year. So, Rockstar could be starting a trend to release their tripple A titles in May, the start of the summer, usually when other big games aren't being released, such as COD series, Battlefield & FIFA.

Other Rockstar games, like Max Payne, Manhunt, could be released around the calender. That's my theory.

The guy on Facebook claiming to work for Rockstar said something about a September 5th, it's worth throwing that out there just in case it's true.

Other interesting speculation and points.

Just a crosspost from another thread I posted in. Now, remember, this is all CIRCUMSTANTIAL EVIDENCE. It's not direct evidence or "proof" if you'd like to use the correct term; unlike what I've been seeing a lot on GTAforums for the past week. Please get it right. Anyways onto my post. This post will be talking about when Rockstar released the first introductionary trailers for all games in the current generation (PS3/360). If you noticed, they all had their initial release date about 6 months after the first trailer:

GTA IV's first trailer came out in March 29, 2007. It's original release date was slated for October 17, 2007; but as we all know, the game got delayed. About a 6.5 month original wait.

Sources: Upload date of first trailer.

Article stating original release date & delay.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/810/810238p1.html

Red Dead Redemption was also delayed numerous times, but its first trailer came out on May 6, 2009, with an original planned release date of late October 2009. About a 5.5 month original wait.

Sources: Upload date of first trailer.

Article stating the original release date & the delay

http://www.shacknews.com/article/58786/maf...dead-redemption

LA Noire's first gameplay trailer (not the CGI one from 2006) was released last year on November 11, 2010, and the game saw its release on May 17, 2011. A 6 month wait.

Sources: Upload date of first trailer. We already know the game saw its release on May 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LfZq_OdU80

And hell, I'll just throw in Max Payne 3 in here too. First trailer came out in September 14, 2010. Game planned for release in March 2012. 6 months again.

Source of trailer release date and anticipated game release date.

Once again, all of these had around a 6 month waiting time; provided that there are no delays. That's just how Rockstar does its marketing. Thanks for reading. sarcasm.gif

Staten wrote..

Here is why I think that V will be released sooner rather than later:

- The major GTA's (III, VC, SA) have had between 5 to 7 months between announcement and release.  GTA IV was a special case; it's long announce/release period had to do with the exclusivity deal with Microsoft and the fact they were creating a game on new hardware.

-Though October has overwhelmingly been the favoured release date for R* when it comes to the main GTAs, I believe this pattern was based on finishing the previous GTA in October (e.g. They finished Vice City in October 2002, had a little break, then started on SA). Since IV was finished in April 2008, I think this would influence the development cycle for V.

- Take-Two have recently changed the start of the financial year to April.  It had previously been October.  One could argue that releasing a big game at the start of the financial year maximizes the potential profit over the course of that financial year, and this is why GTA games have been released in October.  Therefore, since financial 2013 starts in April, Take-Two will want to have the release of V soon after.

- The big problem with an early V that a lot of people have pointed out is the close proximity of Max Payne 3.  This may not be as much of a problem as it seems.  For one thing, Magic_Al suggests that a game generally makes the majority of its money soon after release, as the games retailers buy bulk in the run-up to release to cater to what demand they perceive to be.  Release MP3 in late March, wait a couple of months, MP3 makes most of the sales it's going to make for the year, release V.

- On the same subject, releasing V soon after could drive sales for MP3; a lot more people are going to take notice of R* news now they're aware that V is a thing.  This could make them notice MP3 too.  This increases the likelihood that the casual gamer market will become more aware of it.  But what does it matter, won't V take away those potential sales?  Maybe, or maybe this same casual market will have a bit of disposable income, and want to buy a game either to pass the months before V or fill the void after they've played it to death.  Now they're aware of MP3, a game from Rockstar that involves crime and shooting and stuff, there's more chance of them buying that, since they know they like at least one game by Rockstar already. 

- On the same subject again, Take-Two don't seem to mind having games released close to each other; you know that MP3 is slated for March, right?  Well, so is XCOM.

- Look at the clusterf*ck of AAA titles coming out at the moment.  It's going to be like this next year, more than likely.  V could dominate the market even now, but why try?  Why not release in the late-spring/early summer, and maximize the profits in a time when there are fewer AAA releases?

Edited by ThePinkFloydSound

I'd love to guess May 2012, felt too close to Max Payne 3 at first but it seems they don't mind GTA stealing the limelight.

Then again, this could just be an amazing plan of an announcement during such a game-rich month and we could hear nothing after the trailer. Maybe October 2012 is the most likely?

CookPassBabtridge

Its usually 5-6 months, but then the IV delay came. Hopefully this isnt the case. I would like to think R* wouldnt drag it all out until October.

Maybe April? Max Payne is going to sell to a particular audience and the window for the bulk of sales isnt very large. (couple of months max?)

thebestgameever

I think it depends on how developed the game looks.

BIG games like this normally come around October to December though.

Yeah the IV delay worries me. I hope that doesn't happen again.

Also, I'm bit worried that it could be October. The hype train by then will be crazy as that would give time to people who are more casual gamers to buy GTA to hear about it's release too garunteeing record sales.

I'll be happy with 6 months. I'll play SR3 til then. I hate summer releases though. I should be outside in the summer enjoying the less bad weather (I live in Ireland) than staying in and playing games.

If they do release it in May it will tie in with their big May releases as of late, L.A. Noire and Red Dead. That's my birth month so I can always squeeze it as a present.

Also, about Max Payne. Maybe MP will be released for a more cult consumer. They already have the a market from the first two games and I don't think Rockstar are really going to be trying to win new fans as such like Hitman but more cater for an established audience. New fans will buy it though, after the sucess of Red Dead and other Rockstar triumphs.

CookPassBabtridge

Actually as I was just thinking about the IV delay, its possible that V was delayed too but they kept it quiet to keep the share afloat....we may never know.

Just imagine the fkn pain if we get a flash of the V logo next week and '2012' at the end for a trailer....

Fall 2012, I'd love to say May 2012 but that would just be unrealistic and wishful thinking.

Sadly, I agree. I think R* will let this hype build up over the course of a year so that sales go through the f*cking roof when it finally releases.

Actually as I was just thinking about the IV delay, its possible that V was delayed too but they kept it quiet to keep the share afloat....we may never know.

Just imagine the fkn pain if we get a flash of the V logo next week and '2012' at the end for a trailer....

I never thought of that. If that is the case and it did delay before announcement, great - if it's delayed at all.

Please, that would be awful. I thinking it's going to be like the first trailer for IV since the logo is already out and it's gonna splash all over the internet.

I think it will be a year (roughly) from the trailer.

For a title this big, you can easily invest a year building up the hype.

CookPassBabtridge

I never thought of that. If that is the case and it did delay before announcement, great - if it's delayed at all.

Please, that would be awful. I thinking it's going to be like the first trailer for IV since the logo is already out and it's gonna splash all over the internet.

Was the first trailer for IV the one with Roman's taxi and him hiding in the bin? Im getting old and cant remember....

Long as we get a clear indication of location and some tasty vehicles/real estate, Ill be happy

October 2012 sounds about right.

The earliest would be April-May 2012, and the worst could be May 2013, if it's delayed for whatever reason.

Was the first trailer for IV the one with Roman's taxi and him hiding in the bin? Im getting old and cant remember....

Long as we get a clear indication of location and some tasty vehicles/real estate, Ill be happy

First trailer was the nod to Koyannisqatsi film revealing New York/Liberty

From 55 seconds on mainly..

Thought I'd post that cause I was on the vid anyway, lol

Now that they've announced it, I'd love for it to be around the same time as MP3, but it's likely we'll see it in October 2012.

I'm saying in time for this Christmas! But then I'm talking Sh1t.

I reckon this time next year. Like someone said before, a years marketing to get everyone all excited and to get Take2 shares to go up like a fooker.

Now that they've announced it, I'd love for it to be around the same time as MP3, but it's likely we'll see it in October 2012.

The same time as MP3 would be perfect for me too but we know that wont really happend. I do miss an Autumn release. Settling in to a game when the days are getting shorter and colder and you've got your favourite game to play long in to the night. So I suppose October does have it's advantages. Just soo far away! sad.gif

This trailer is going to just be a teaser. After Max Payne comes out, they will get the real 6 month campaign started and the game will come out in October 2012.

Its very odd time to announce it, i mean in relation to the other games. They're even chucking out a trailer in the next week or so. I'd say February as an optimist but realistically March/April.

This trailer is going to just be a teaser. After Max Payne comes out, they will get the real 6 month campaign started and the game will come out in October 2012.

You know that sounds quite plausible.

Its very odd time to announce it, i mean in relation to the other games. They're even chucking out a trailer in the next week or so. I'd say February as an optimist but realistically March/April.

By announcing now, R* take a sh*tload of attention away from the other games.

Beautiful.

I think it's going to be out sometime in summer 2012, then again GTA IV had 2 years between announcement and release..

CookPassBabtridge

April is also the start of a new financial year....perhaps the most solid hope of an Easter release

No way it is going to be a year, they need money too, they need to produce something big. MP3 like i have stated is not going to cut it at all, it has only sold about 4 million copies in total. R* by releasing this tid bit and trailer info is saying they could give a f about MP3, all they did was talk MP3, MP3 this and that, and now alas GTAV. There is no way they are waiting a year, if they do then they just did this V announcement for their stocks to go up, because waiting a year when the first trailer is in a couple days would be insane, and by the time early Spring came we would not even care about this announcement from October 25, 2011.

IV was supposed to be released in Oct and from March of that year gave them enough time until the delay to market the game, no game needs a year to market, lets get on with it. I figured there is no way more than four years we would be waiting and this Spring is four years.

DAN HOUSER HAS stated like i said multipple times, the holiday season is too cluttered and doesnt like the release window for that time period anymore, HENCE RDR, LANOIRE MP3 all in the Spring time, R* likes Spring.

No way it is going to be a year, they need money too, they need to produce something big. MP3 like i have stated is not going to cut it at all, it has only sold about 4 million copies in total. R* by releasing this tid bit and trailer info is saying they could give a f about MP3, all they did was talk MP3, MP3 this and that, and now alas GTAV. There is no way they are waiting a year, if they do then they just did this V announcement for their stocks to go up, because waiting a year when the first trailer is in a couple days would be insane, and by the time early Spring came we would not even care about this announcement from October 25, 2011.

IV was supposed to be released in Oct and from March of that year gave them enough time until the delay to market the game, no game needs a year to market, lets get on with it. I figured there is no way more than four years we would be waiting and this Spring is four years.

DAN HOUSER HAS stated like i said multipple times, the holiday season is too cluttered and doesnt like the release window for that time period anymore, HENCE RDR, LANOIRE MP3 all in the Spring time, R* likes Spring.

GTA is and has always been an October franchise. October is the traditional release window and IV was just delayed out of it.

Max Payne is going to do way better than you think, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean you speak for the entire fan-base.

The point is that Dan Houser said in an interview that i linked several times, that they are out of the holiday release window. Max Payne is not going to sell well imo, and this is proof of it, six years in the waiting and the game will offer nothing that GTA can, i for one am not getting a 5 hour linear game, i want an open world GTA game.

Fan base, they have only sold 3 million copies in 2 runs.