Virgin Galactic

HbKYolrr

I was reading around a few months ago and found "Virgin Galactic" which will be the first company ever to have commercial space flights.Do you think it will catch on? it looks pretty futuristic but they say it will be done by next year (2012). So what do you guys think about it?

Here is their website. http://www.virgingalactic.com/

Personally I think it might do pretty good but I am not planning one any time soon looking at the price smile.gif

At the moment its a rich mans game but hopefully this is the start of the human race branching into our solar system, not just for scientific gains but for social ones

Well it's been around 8 years in the making, SpaceShipOne first flew back in 2004 after all (won the X-Prize before Mr Branson got involved). I'm not sure if manned space flight will catch on commercially due to price vs reward but unmanned commercial travel already has. Satellite launching is big business.

Maybe when there's a few more competitors...we'll see the price fall. Well, once they also include a trip from one location to another. Going into space is one thing. Going one side of the world to the other via space quite another.

Quite a miracle how fast technology evolves. Space flights used to be for science purely, now they will be for entertainment and social purposes as well. I can imagine visiting the moon as a weekend trip in a few decades.

''Normal'' people can't afford it yet, but I'm sure the prices will go down in at least 10 years.

But who cares about space? It's a big empty void with nothing of any worth. Earth is so much more beautiful. That's why space exploration puzzles me, what is there to see?

But who cares about space? It's a big empty void with nothing of any worth. Earth is so much more beautiful. That's why space exploration puzzles me, what is there to see?

Not a lot, but zero gravity would be one heck of an experience.

How would you know if you never been in space to explore what else there is? smile.gif

fbeRElG.png

I've understood there's like planets and sh*t floating out there.

you answered your one question there. how can you appreciate the beauty of the earth in your living room anyway ? and still, its not about SEEING space but breaking through the earth's atmosphere and realising you've left our planet, your one of the very few humans who have done it

I'll quote you too, then you're quoted 5 times lol.gif

But you don't know if there's nothing else than earth in the solar system, maybe some day people will find a second 'earth' smile.gif

Typical Christian attitude. Who cares about people like you.

Our resources on Earth will be finished at some point in the future. Space exploration will be crucial for our survival.

An amazing view of Earth? Out of Earth?

Christ.

avito coleone

Ditto to viewing earth from space, you will never get to do that any other time....

user posted image

Typical Christian attitude. Who cares about people like you.

Frankly, you need to go f*ck yourself. Narrow-minded, bigoted little twat.

An amazing view of Earth? Out of Earth?

But it's so dismal. Just reams and reams of darkness stretching out to infinity. Give me mountains and forests any day of the week. When people want to 'explore' space, what they probably mean is 'explain' space, so all the mystery and wonder is taken out of everything that lies out there. Just like they did here. And when we've colonised space we'll look for other planes of existence so we can make them utterly pedestrian and understandable too.

I appreciate how far science can get us as a species. But science can't hide the fact that the Universe is a barren, desolate dumping ground with no secrets, points of interest or grand wonders we can marvel at. Dead planet after dead planet and nothing but darkness all around. What is so wonderful about that?

Edited by Typhus

I'm sure you'd change your mind if you could see it for yourself . To be where no-one else has been before .

I appreciate how far science can get us as a species. But science can't hide the fact that the Universe is a barren, desolate dumping ground with no secrets, points of interest or grand wonders we can marvel at. Dead planet after dead planet and nothing but darkness all around. What is so wonderful about that?

user posted image

user posted image

Looks amazing. Also, wouldn't it be great to go out of bounds, and take a nice gaze down at our "beautiful" planet? From out of earth?

Really, no need to be negative about this idea icon13.gif

I'm sure you'd change your mind if you could see it for yourself . To be where no-one else has been before .

And be reminded of Earths utter insignificance and by ascociation the meaninglessness of your life and mine?

We are so small and pitiful, nothing more than an ant colony. And everything we believe in and value is meaningless because we are just one planet out of millions and have no purpose whatsoever. We're nothing, less than nothing.

And that ugly truth is the only thing space exploration has taught me. And it doesn't feel good, so you'll forgive me for not jumping for joy at the impotence of my entire existence.

Seeing Earth from outer space is one of my biggest dreams. When I do that, I can die in peace.

And be reminded of Earths utter insignificance
your a cheery sod aren't you? lol. Earth, as far as we know , and very likely is the only planet populated by intelligent life forms. Quite something when you remember the entire universe is billions of lightyears across . There is nothing insignificant about Earth.

Its quite sad significance in your eyes is measured by size really .

In thousands of years time we could be the only species to have ventured outside of they're solar system for all we know

Sure. Lets just sit here, on this particular rock where major extinction events happen every few hundred million years, and the next one is well overdue. Where the solar flare or another major impact, like the one that formed the Moon, can result in total extinction with absolutely no warning. Where our resources are limited. Where our environment is completely closed. If you value life in any form, or admire beauty of this planet in truth, the only way to ensure planet's survival is with exploration of that "emtpy void". The "empty void" filled with resources of all kinds, allowing one to collect more energy than we've ever dreamed about, and if nothing else, giving us an endless supply of dumping ground for any of our wastes, which we currently dump on this Earth.

And if you don't care about life or this planet, then go die somewhere quietly and don't distract people who do from doing what must be done to preserve both.

I was reading around a few months ago and found "Virgin Galactic" which will be the first company ever to have commercial space flights.Do you think it will catch on? it looks pretty futuristic but they say it will be done by next year (2012). So what do you guys think about it?

These are just suborbital flights. Nothing to get excited about. It should still be a lot more fun than a flight on a vomit comet, and with much better views. So I'm sure there will be a healthy interest in these flights. And if that's going to siphon in some funds from general public to be used for research on space flight, then I'm all for it.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

Seeing Earth from outer space is one of my biggest dreams. When I do that, I can die in peace.

You too?

Lets hope it gets way more affordable to ordinary people in the next couple of decades.

Man, I'd go without a second thought, if only I had the scrilla. It's indeed a dream of mine too. Hopefully some day...

Edited by Supreme.

Frankly, you need to go f*ck yourself. Narrow-minded, bigoted little twat.

The irony in this is stunning. Luckily I won't report you, because I don't do that.

You sounded like the typical anti technology advancement folk, the only people I hear these kinds of rants from are Christians and you are one as well from what I remember.

Shayan Shaffey

The starting price for flights is $200,000

It's actually pretty cheap, why is everyone crying about the price?

user posted image

Earth, as far as we know , and very likely is the only planet populated by intelligent life forms.

How do you figure that? In fact, it is extremely unlikely that Earth is the only planet with intelligent life. There is an unimaginable number of stars out there and if we imagine there is about the same number of planets orbiting each star, that's a f*cking sh*tload of planets. Even if, for example, 0,001% of planets had intelligent life, that would still be billions of civilizations.

On topic, as much as I'd like to see the Earth from space, a price tag of $200000 is a bit out of reach for the general population. I guess I'll stick with Google Earth.

For sub-orbital? This is very expensive. I'm not saying they can make it cheaper right now, but they can, should, and will make it cheaper over time. Cost of orbital launch can be brought down to under $10k per ton of total orbital mass. Sub-orbital would be significantly cheaper.

Unfortunately, Virgin Galactic shuttles fly on hybrid rockets. This is a dead end in the long run. This is not how you build a proper space ship. But this is what works for small, cheap sub-orbital shuttles. At $200k/ticket, they'll be generating a steady revenue. Hopefully, that will lead to some competitors building something better, and in competition we might find progress.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

Shayan Shaffey

For sub-orbital? This is very expensive. I'm not saying they can make it cheaper right now, but they can, should, and will make it cheaper over time. Cost of orbital launch can be brought down to under $10k per ton of total orbital mass. Sub-orbital would be significantly cheaper.

Oh, sub-orbital? I'm not really impressed by this company.

user posted image

Earth, as far as we know , and very likely is the only planet populated by intelligent life forms.

How do you figure that? In fact, it is extremely unlikely that Earth is the only planet with intelligent life. There is an unimaginable number of stars out there and if we imagine there is about the same number of planets orbiting each star, that's a f*cking sh*tload of planets. Even if, for example, 0,001% of planets had intelligent life, that would still be billions of civilizations.

Quite comically put by Douglas Adams;

'Simple mathematics tells us that the population of the Universe must be zero. Why? Well given that the volume of the universe is infinite there must be an infinite number of worlds. But not all of them are populated; therefore only a finite number are. Any finite number divided by infinity is as close to zero as makes no odds, therefore we can round the average population of the Universe to zero, and so the total population must be zero.'

We don't exist.

But this sub-orbital flight thing just isn't worth it. Even if I had the money I wouldn't bother personally.

How do you figure that? In fact, it is extremely unlikely that Earth is the only planet with intelligent life.

Ahem.

Please read this topic to understand why placing mathematical probability on the existence of alien creatures is an absurd and unworkable concept.

Anyway, on topic- I agree that it's not worth it in terms of cost-to-gain ratio, but if sub-orbital space-flight can become economically viable for the lay man, then is it going to progress further afield, mirroring what has been done with air transport consistently growing in terms of distance? Are we going to see "space hotels" in the future?

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4