Persistent BSoDs - Win 7

Algonquin Bridge

Algonquin Bridge

Greetings, knowledgeable GTAForums Tech elders. I come today to ask for some help/advice/assistance.

First, my system specs for your perusal.

Operating System (OS): Windows 7 32-bit SP1

Amount of RAM: 2GB DDR3 @ 535Mhz

Internet connection type: WiFi, via Belkin G USB Network Adapter (802.11g - 54Mbps)

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)

Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7P55 LX (LGA1156)

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1102, 03/01/2011

Processor (CPU): Intel Pentium G6950 @ 2.80GHz

Sound Card: The ASUS Chipset HD audio (In Speccy, it lists “Sound” as VIA High Definition Audio)

So, I built a computer. But the thing keeps blue screening. Every. Single. Day. Since day one of the build. Hell, it Bluescreened when I was installing Windows. Surely that's a hardware fault?

Initially, the BSoDs were often MEMORY_MANAGEMENT errors, and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA. After running some memory diagnostics, I identified a faulty stick of RAM, which I have removed.

The computer still BSoDs, but the errors are DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, pointing to atikmpag.sys or dxgmms1.sys.

This, to me, smacks of problems with my GFX card; what with the BSoDs relating to ATI Kernel Mode Drivers and DirectX. But seeing as I don't have an alternative card to test, or have on-board graphics, I can't remove the device to confirm my suspicions.

I've reformatted and reinstalled, run virus scans, run diagnostics on the hard disks and system files...coming up a-ok. Temps are also hovering around the 39 Celsius mark, including the CPU and GFX card.

So I come asking for advice: Is the GFX card the most likely suspect that's causing my issues? And if so, what's the advised course of action?

I'm going to receive a nice chunk of money in a week's time, and I was hoping to get a new processor and RAM, then upgrade to 64-bit Win 7. Should I chuck in a new GFX card whilst I'm at it? Or should I just save up a bit and rebuild from scratch?

If required, I can zip up some memory dump files, copy some Whocrashed results over, and I'll be fine to provide any necessary information that might help you in diagnosing what's causing this problem.

Many thanks!

Page fault and memory-related errors are RAM related for the most part. My system showed all three errors, and it turned out to be a knackered RAM controller on my motherboard.

Memory test your RAM (there are guides on t'internet)- if any stick fail, junk and replace.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Algonquin Bridge

I have done some memory diagnostics, and figured out that one stick of my RAM wasn't working. I've taken it out, run the diagnostics again, and the remaining stick is fine...unless it isn't.

And pretty much all my BSoDs since the RAM removal have been DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, all pointing to stuff like ATI kernel mode drivers and DirectX. There has been one instance of a PAGE_FAULT error, pointing to cdd.dll, which is the Canonical Display Driver.

Run Guru3D's Driver Sweeper, and then re-download and re-install all of the drivers for your various peripherals, GPU et cetera. Does it run fine in safe mode? Run it for a few hours in safe mode with networking, assuming you've got an Ethernet connection. If you still get BSODs, it's something hardware related and not just a software issue with your GPU drivers or any other drivers.

Is your memory designed to be run paired? And how many sticks do you have? It might be worth running them in the second set of RAM slots, or in unganged/single-channel mode. If its IS RAM related, that way you'll be able to pin-point whether it's due to a memory controller failure or whether one or both of your RAM sticks is/are bad.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Algonquin Bridge

Okay, I'll run Driver Sweeper, and try things out in Safe Mode. Will report back with findings later...

As for my RAM, it's a single stick DIMM.

As for my RAM, it's a single stick DIMM.

I meant, did it come in a pack of two? You mentioned that you mem-tested your RAM and removed one stick earlier due to it being shagged, were they a pair on sale or are they two differing kinds of RAM from two different suppliers? Mixing RAM is a bad idea for system stability as a general rule.

Untitled-1.jpg

Algonquin Bridge

Ah, sorry about the misunderstanding! Both sticks were from the same supplier, same model, 2 sticks of 2GB.

According to my eBuyer order, they're "OCZ 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10666 Gold Dual Channel CL 9-9-9-26". Discontinued on the site now, though.

Also, just uninstalled my periph drivers, booted into safemode, ran driver sweeper, regular boot and re-installed with the latest drivers. Let's see where this takes me, eh?

Thanks for the continued support!

Go to C:\Windows\System32\minidump

Find the newest one by date.

Zip it and upload it some place and give the link

I have a debugging tool that can analyze it.

Algonquin Bridge

Okay, Minidump is here. Got the latest one from today, plus two from yesterday should you wish to peruse them. Thanks!

The first 2 point basically to an ATI driver issue.

Complete truth is the first is an ATI driver while the second is a DirectX file but since the DX file is called on by ATI drivers then it's related.

The last one points to a NT (system file)

All of this however doesn't rule out a RAM issue as well.

Go here http://www.memtest.org/ and download the latest version, easiest is to use the CD ISO. Boot from that CD and let it run over night, while at work/school, go watch a couple movies, whatever. Let it do at least 3 passes, the more the better.

If you're overclocking at all, then reset whatever it is your overclocking back to normal.

Algonquin Bridge

Okay, shall do! I think I have a Memtest x86 CD lying around somewhere, but I guess it'll be quicker to burn a new one, then test the mother whilst I'm at work.

I guess I should consider getting a new GFX card along with the RAM and Processor I hope to buy!

Thanks a lot for your help!

How come you didn't bother sending the faulty parts back when you're having problems with the very first day of your build?

Other says your graphic card and/or ram has problems, but you may also want to update your motherboard bios for stability or other improvements.

Have you update your motherboard bios yet? From Asus page that board you have has gotten 13 bios updates since its release.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Soc...55_LX/#download

Edit: My bad looks like your bios is quite up to date, but not the most recent

New one just came out, version 1201.

Edited by Stinky12

Algonquin Bridge

Why didn't I send them back? Stupidity and complacency. I naively thought that I could "fix it by myself", like an imbecile.

And yeah, BIOS is fully up to date.

May be a odd solution, but have you try to run the card in the 2nd PCIe x16 slot?

If not, do that and see what happens.

Algonquin Bridge

Okay, ran Memtest whilst I was at work, and the remaining stick is indeed faulty.

Not much I can do now, until I get some money next week! Guess I'll be buying a new processor, some new RAM and a new GFX card (GTX 460, in case anyone's wondering).

Thanks for the help, guys! Oh...any way to check if the Motherboard's failing? Or would the symptoms be incredibly obvious?

May be a odd solution, but have you try to run the card in the 2nd PCIe x16 slot?

If not, do that and see what happens.

No, but I'll give it a try sometime soon.

If ram is faulty, just change ram, why waste money on parts you don't need?

If you change the ram and the problem still exist, then try my odd solution.

Algonquin Bridge

Well, because I've been wanting to upgrade the machine for a bit now, anyway!

I just wanted to know what was going wrong with the current set-up, so I could keep the knowledge for future ones. But yeah, I'll try your method of switching the slots.

Oh...any way to check if the Motherboard's failing? Or would the symptoms be incredibly obvious?

It's bloody hard to tell without swapping trying another. I suppose if you still had issues after swapping RAM, then it would be a motherboard issue.

Untitled-1.jpg

I determined my PS3 mobo was dead by testing the other components, but you have to have a backup system, if you can manage that without buying two of the same, you also afford yourself a Malware safety net

I determined my PS3 mobo was dead by testing the other components, but you have to have a backup system, if you can manage that without buying two of the same, you also afford yourself a Malware safety net

Let's see you bump a topic that's 4-days old for your usual bits of useless information.