Essay

Swoorup

Can some body tell me the proper ways to write an essay, and how would I connect each bodies and sentences.

Also along with that some tips on making the essay look interesting?

For your main body paragraphs, just think of SEX:

Statement

Evidence

eXplanation

An essay is composed of three elements: an introduction, a body and a conclusion. The introduction sums up what the body of the essay will mainly focus on; think of it as presenting your topic or thesis. The body is usually three or four paragraphs with solid evidence and facts to support your idea. Finally, the conclusion ties your entire essay altogether; a general ending to what you have already stated previously.

Ronmar The Only

Also, it may help if you give some basic structural rules regarding your essay and what the topic is supposed to be.

Like, how many pages is it supposed to be?

What class is it due in?

Things like that might help with any advice.

Also, it may help if you give some basic structural rules regarding your essay and what the topic is supposed to be.

Like, how many pages is it supposed to be?

What class is it due in?

Things like that might help with any advice.

Yep. I quite liked writing essays in school and college so I'm happy to help with tips and structure. What is it about?

I don't have nothing in particular actually. I just want to know about the structure of the essay. The word limit is 500. So, can you say how can make the best use of all those words. Though my college is over, I just want to know how to make them interesting!

500 words seems awfully short for an essay. I usually waste the first 500 on an introduction alone! tounge.gif The essays I'm used to writing top about 3000/4000 words, and while it's easy to get lost and forget what you're trying to say, it's easy when you get used to it.

But yeah, start with an introduction. Here, state your question, how you intend to answer it, and maybe a little bit of background. Not too much, or you'll end up getting carried away and you'll run out of points to properly expand upon later on in the essay. For example, what if your question was what do sumo wrestlers and schoolteachers have in common?

In this essay, I shall be exploring what sumo wrestlers and schoolteachers have in common by exploring many key points, such as motivation to cheat for the greater good, competition, status and finally impact on popular culture.

That, when it boils down to it, is your introduction. Of course, it needs fleshing out here and there but that's pretty much what you want to say.

Then, go straight into your first point. I won't give an example for this, because I'll end up writing a damn essay on sumo wrestlers and schoolteachers, which would be rather enjoyable to explore, but I don't have the time as I have work soon. Pick your first point and stick with it. I always argued the absolute toss for both sides, but made it clear what side I was batting for if you get me. I'd say that sumo wrestlers have a strong desire to cheat due to the hierarchy and benefits for losing, but you can understand why they would and also why teachers would cheat (for the greater good of their students). However, if a schoolteacher cheats, are they cheating for the greater good of their pupils or for personal gain? These are also factors to consider in the world of sumo wrestling.

I admit, the subject matter is a little bizarre, but this structure works with anything. To conclude an essay, say that you've explored the key points and then state your opinion on it. Answer the question. It doesn't so much matter if you're right or wrong, but as long as you've got enough conviction behind your points, it doesn't matter. It never did in my experience. Chances are you'll be right anyway as you can't really argue with opinion.

Oh, and just to put things into perspective? This post is just over 400 words long.