Rockstar Announces GTA III for iOS and Android

Magic_Al

Although it did not create the same feeling as PS2 or PC version would... Well, at least for me.

Wouldn't that be strange to have Microsoft content on an Apple device?

Why would it be strange? I don't think so...

Microsoft and Apple have always been like a divorced couple with joint custody of some kids. Microsoft released Word and Excel for the mid-1980s Apple Macintosh years before Windows existed, and has always sold Mac versions of these Office programs and PowerPoint. Microsoft used to make a Mac version of Internet Explorer which was the Mac's default browser for five years before Apple released Safari.

When the Xbox 360 was being developed 2003-2006, Microsoft bought a lot of Apple Power Mac G5 towers for game developers because the PowerPC 970 processor shares the IBM Power Architecture with the Xenon processor in the Xbox 360. Ironically, Apple switched to Intel processors around the same time because IBM and Motorola couldn't justify designing next-gen PowerPCs only for Mac laptops and Apple wasn't big enough to make its own processors back then, as they now do for iOS devices.

In the early 2000s Mac market share was actually declining to under 2% even though the iMac and iBook were successful, because the Windows PC market was growing faster. Converting games from Intel to PowerPC was challenging and expensive. Mac OS X was still pretty immature which made users delay the major transition from Mac OS 9. Under those circumstances many game companies including Rockstar stayed far away from the Mac. iOS, of course, is another story.

Wouldn't that be strange to have Microsoft content on an Apple device? biggrin.gif

GTA3 on Xbox (and Vice City) is not "Microsoft" Content, it's Rockstar Vienna's Content, and with them now being closed down, all content is now in the hands of Rockstar NYC, who haven't done anything with it since then, which is a shame, but seeing as GTA3 was not released on anything else after the Xbox port, I guess the iOS version will be the first time they get to use the newer models and textures, but everyone is still hoping Rockstar will release a bulk patch for the PC version at some point.

What do you mean? All cars have headlights... At least in my game.

What do you mean? All cars have headlights... At least in my game.

but they only lens flare in certain versions, for example PC disc doesn't, steam version does.

So that's what he meant?

I thought the vehicles have had their headlights totally removed, lol! notify.gif

spaceeinstein

It looks like a direct port from the PC version. The train still had that central wheels modeling error and no textures or models have been modified. I wonder where the f*ck did the previewers get the idea that GTA III's graphics were enhanced. I see no improvements whatsoever.

It looks like a direct port from the PC version. The train still had that central wheels modeling error and no textures or models have been modified. I wonder where the f*ck did the previewers get the idea that GTA III's graphics were enhanced. I see no improvements whatsoever.

The charicter models and cars seem to be the xbox ones. That's an improvement from the original GTA III on the PS2.

spaceeinstein

No, they're not Xbox models. I have seen Xbox models and they clearly have much higher polygons than this. If you can show a comparison between the Xbox and iOS versions supporting your claim, then I will believe you. Here's my comparison. Compare an Xbox Police car model:

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo106/r.../police_dam.jpg

to the one seen in the most recent trailer and answer me, do they look remotely alike? Don't mistake a higher screen resolution with increased polygons and textures, like these previewers have done so far.

Edited by spaceeinstein

No, they're not Xbox models. I have seen Xbox models and they clearly have much higher polygons that this. If you can show a comparison between the Xbox and iOS versions, then I will believe you. Here's my comparison. Compare an Xbox Police car model:

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo106/r.../police_dam.jpg

to the one seen in the most recent trailer and answer me, do they look remotely alike? Don't mistake a higher screen resolution with increased polygons and textures, like these previewers have done so far.

Well Claude looked better than the PC version. Also your comparison is a police car to a blob. lol.

spaceeinstein

Clearly your monitor couldn't display the entire image... Really, back up your claim. Don't just say that models "look" better when in fact the resolution had just been increased. Use an Xbox image for comparison, please, it's not that hard to obtain...

Compare this Xbox screen:

http://www.rockstargames.com/grandtheftaut...ull_gta3_08.jpg

with the most recent trailer at 0:32.

Edited by spaceeinstein

The xbox version was the most detailed. There's no doubt about that. I never owned it on xbox, i wished they updated the PC version. But they didn't.

PS2 (sorry for the low res):

user posted image

PC:

user posted image

Xbox:

user posted image

The anniversary video appears to be made from the PC version and is almost certainly not intended as an actual trailer for the iOS/Android versions. For one thing, iPad 2 resolution is 1024x768 and the video is 720p, letterboxed to a pseudo-anamorphic aspect ratio. The gameplay recorded at ComicCon showed Claude with fingers as in the Xbox version.

Another inconsistency is that the video's music of O Mio Babbino Caro is not the old mono recording that plays on Double Clef FM but is a different stereo track altogether.

The anniversary video appears to be made from the PC version and is almost certainly not intended as an actual trailer for the iOS/Android versions. For one thing, iPad 2 resolution is 1024x768 and the video is 720p, letterboxed to a pseudo-anamorphic aspect ratio. The gameplay recorded at ComicCon showed Claude with fingers as in the Xbox version.

Another inconsistency is that the video's music of O Mio Babbino Caro is not the old mono recording that plays on Double Clef FM but is a different stereo track altogether.

It is 10 years later.. of course they would up the quality. PC users should not be mad, I know I'm not. There is an Xbox mod that does the job perfectly. As someone who played the xbox version on an xbox 360 at 1080p, i gotta say, the mod comes pretty damn close. I'm not trying to advertise here but thanks to the modding community, rockstar doesn't need to do certain things.

Well, these certain things of yours, when done by Rockstar team and by the modders are totally different in the end.

You have to agree with that. Plus, mods are not copyright material, unlike Rockstar improvements.

P.S. As for me, despite it's higher detailing, Xbox version looks messed up.

GTA 3 in true full HD XBOX 360 is an eyegasm! BUT! I have to admin that the atmosphere is best in the ps2 version.

They don't have to! This is their Ultimate Easter Egg in GTA:III, and changing it will be useless and wrong for those veteran players, who'd like to see it again.

Plus, LCS is a total different game, and that's why they changed the sign. Why they changed the sign when porting the game to PS2 has only one reasonable explanation: this was the 5th time this alley appeared, so they just left an easter egg for those who discovered it before - only these guys will know its true meaning.

And seriously, what's wrong with you? Why do you keep suggesting here what Rockstar needs to improve? The game is fine as it is, even though it's imperfect. If you don't like something about this game, then either get used to it or go play another game. The Rockstar team will decide what to do themselves.

GTA 3 in true full HD XBOX 360 is an eyegasm! BUT! I have to admin that the atmosphere is best in the ps2 version.

If you have the original ps2 dics, all you need to do is get the TIMECYC from it and copy it over to pc. Then it is fine.

If you have the original ps2 dics, all you need to do is get the TIMECYC from it and copy it over to pc. Then it is fine.

And you'll be denying the fact that PC version's atmosphere is no less great than PS2's.

And you'll be denying the fact that PC version's atmosphere is no less great than PS2's.

I could care less about the whole "atmosphere" i do like the feel of the ps2 version since that is the first version I played. it isn't a matter of denying anything. If you know how to do something, then do it.

I could care less about the whole "atmosphere" i do like the feel of the ps2 version since that is the first version I played. it isn't a matter of denying anything. If you know how to do something, then do it.

I meant, why destroy the PC atmosphere by PS2 files? The PC version's atmosphere is no less great, you have to admit it.

user posted image

After 10 years they may change this sign, like they did in LCS, and agein in LCS for PS2.

Where is that located?