Shortcut Virus [HELP ME]

Dnero

So I got this virus that replaced all my files in my hard disk into shortcuts, it also affected my blackberry (music and pics). All the files are still intact though, they are still there but I have to access them with the path thing that is usually on top of the folder where the bar is. My PS3 can still see it though without any problems. So I searched around the internet and found these solution [1], solution [2] they are the exact same problem as mine but it doesn't seem to work on my PC while people there were claiming to be working.

So, a little help guys...

Start up Windows Task Manager > Processes and check for any weird process that shouldn't be running. The TOEUW.exe and CIEUHU.exe seem to be the most common ones. Check out the following solutions:

1. http://www.techjunoon.com/how-to-remove-to...e-virusmalware/

2. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...c7-41671457fe11

Okay, so I did what the second one told me to do. Making new folders and transfer the files there from the hidden one and it seems to work, my blackberry is starting to recognize it. My external hard drive would still make those shortcuts though.

But it seems, I have another problem when I tried to find that TOEUW.EXE or CIEUHU.EXE, they're not in my task manager so it's okay. But when I tried to end a process of something like Photoshop (which I left opened and closed it already), it didn't work. Tried other ones like Firefox, it didn't work either. So wtf, now I can't end a process from the Task Manager notify.gif

Are you noticing any other weird process? The name of the process would be generally capitalized and that's the virus that you need to get rid of.

Also, which anti-virus do you have? You can get Avira AntiVir and run a full system scan.

You should be doing this while in SafeMode.

It's very easily possible that there is a program running and hiding in the RAM, that task manager won't be able to see. And it's looking for 2 things, 1) are you in the folder were it's main program is suppose to be and 2) is the task manager running. What happens in case 1 is that it'll delete the file then when you're not in that folder any more it'll replace it. Same idea for part 2, if task manager is running it'll kill the process but when task manager stops running it'll start up the program again provided you're not still in that folder. I've seen a viruses that do one or the other or both and other things along those lines. In fact many many many many many many years ago with Win98 and Norton Utilities with UnErase installed I caught a virus because of UnErase

So go restart into SafeMode. Disable System Restore, yes you lose all of your restore points as well. Find and remove as much of the virus as you can.

Once you're sure it's gone you can start back up in normal mode and make sure everything else is still working like it should and if it is then you can turn System Restore back on.

And yes also get an anti-virus. I'm not sure if AntiVir or Avast will install and run in SafeMode but if they can I would do that as well while still in SafeMode.

Are you noticing any other weird process? The name of the process would be generally capitalized and that's the virus that you need to get rid of.

Nah, no weird process.

Also, which anti-virus do you have? You can get Avira AntiVir and run a full system scan.

I have McAfee, but I never update it because my laptop hadn't got any virus for almost 3 years... until now.

So go restart into SafeMode. Disable System Restore, yes you lose all of your restore points as well. Find and remove as much of the virus as you can.

Once you're sure it's gone you can start back up in normal mode and make sure everything else is still working like it should and if it is then you can turn System Restore back on.

Alright so I did this, I removed those virus. (FYI, this virus is not on my PC, or maybe it is and maybe I haven't notice it yet, they're in my external hard drive and my blackberry) Then I restarted, and when I plug in my external hard drive, they appeared again. My new folder also got made into a shortcut.

No, they are in your computer. They just create exe that looks like folders into your USB, thumb drive or memory card. My suggestion is to get a linux antivirus bootdisk.

Boot it up and run a full system scan.

EDIT: Just to save your time for searching for one, Get the kaspersky iso rescue file from here:

http://www.techmixer.com/kaspersky-rescue-disk-2010/

Edited by Swoorup

Apparently you didn't remove it. It might be hiding on the external drive as well.

Algonquin Bridge
Apparently you didn't remove it. It might be hiding on the external drive as well.

Hmm. If so, then surely he should keep the drive plugged in, reboot into Safe Mode, and scan that sucker?

aStiffSausage

I could give you a little hint...

Boot in safemode, install Avast! 5 Free, do a full scan, install SuperAntiSpyware, full scan, and same for MalwareBytes. That trio has never let me down so far. smile.gif

And of course, if you still can't get rid of that virus, do a scan with HiJackThis, but remember to only scan and save the log, do not do anything else with it even if someone says so, it can be very more harmful than your virus.

And:

Hmm. If so, then surely he should keep the drive plugged in, reboot into Safe Mode, and scan that sucker?

Might work too, as long as your PC recognizes the drive in safemode. (Mine doesn't recognize all drives for some reason)

I could give you a little hint...

Boot in safemode, install Avast! 5 Free, do a full scan, install SuperAntiSpyware, full scan, and same for MalwareBytes. That trio has never let me down so far. smile.gif

And of course, if you still can't get rid of that virus, do a scan with HiJackThis, but remember to only scan and save the log, do not do anything else with it even if someone says so, it can be very more harmful than your virus.

And:

Might work too, as long as your PC recognizes the drive in safemode. (Mine doesn't recognize all drives for some reason)

Alright I'll try those tomorrow.

It seems that all my stuff that were connected/inside my laptop got infected sad.gif My Canon's memory card, my friend's blackberry, and even my PS3 controller (won't work as a controller anymore)

PS3 controller won't work as a controller any more? Umm ok. You mean only on the PC right? If you plug it into a PS3 it'll still work normally.

You're at a point where I would say cut your losses and just format that OS drive. Hopefully it's not really infected the external devices you're talking about as much as you think it is.

Personally here's what I would do.....

First get a LiveCD of Linux or use a clean computer to create a BartPE disc which is a LiveCD of Windows. Now I can't remember if BartPE will see and mount USB drives or not but I'm pretty sure a LiveCD of Linux will.

Boot from that and connect the external drive(s)/device(s) and see if the files are intact and working correctly or not. If they are then good. If not then sad.gif

After you've determined what condition your external files are, then maybe see while you're still in this LiveCD check on the files on your internal drive(s) as well. It's possible the virus is fooling the OS into thinking the files are bad when in fact they are perfectly fine. If they are fine then you could try backing them up the external drive but only what you really need, don't try to back up the whole drive.

After that format and reinstall the OS. Once that's done, before you connect the external drive, get all of the OS updates you can install only the hardware drivers you really need, like video don't worry about the audio for now since Windows should use at least some basic drivers to start with. get an anti-virus program and make sure it's set to it's highest level of security just to be safe and is of course fully updated. Now connect the external drive and just watch it for a while to make sure nothing sneaky was hiding on there.

If all goes well from there you can install all your stuff back to normal again.

I would also think about using a different browser from IE, if that's what you've been using. If you've been using an email client like Outlook to get your emails, then maybe for more security get a Gmail account and start using that, Gmail can get emails from your ISP's email, from hotmail, even from yahoo mail if you learn the trick to that, Gmail has a ton of storage space so there's no real need to download those emails to your PC and possibly get infected through that.

PS3 controller won't work as a controller any more? Umm ok. You mean only on the PC right? If you plug it into a PS3 it'll still work normally.

lol yeah only for PC, not PS3.

I would also think about using a different browser from IE, if that's what you've been using. If you've been using an email client like Outlook to get your emails, then maybe for more security get a Gmail account and start using that, Gmail can get emails from your ISP's email, from hotmail, even from yahoo mail if you learn the trick to that, Gmail has a ton of storage space so there's no real need to download those emails to your PC and possibly get infected through that.

No, I never used IE in this laptop or Outlook for emails.

Anyways, it's already fixed now. Thanks for all the help guys icon14.gif

@Wolf68

Unetbooting works perfectly for mounting the Live CD's ISOs on the USB. Its a windows application by the way! Besides that it also can make installation on the local drive itself, so you can have a dual boot!

I am sorry I posted even if the solution is solved. But anyways I hope that it will come in handy to all of you guys!

Edited by Swoorup