GTAIV - Install probs 9 30 11

Purple Pete

Hi, I bought GTA IV for PC (on DVD) when it first came out had a nightmere getting it to work, got it going, then it kept crashing have way through the game. I gave up and am only now trying to play it again years later.

I did a clean installed following the instructions here:

http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/4...on-instructions

The install and patch seemed to have gone fine, but I can't get passed the "Log in to Social Club" window that pops up and asks my to authenticate with my email and password. I haven't actually run the game at all since starting the clean install and I used the email and password I created for Social club years ago when I first bought the game. Whether I click Play or Play offline, it does the same thing.

It says "authenticating user" and the operation icons shows the DVD (disk 1) is being accessed, but then the pop up goes away and nothing happens. I've done this several times.

Oh, during the install I did successfully enter the serial key and confirmed it and I followed the prompts for uninstalling social club even though the pop up window I can't get through says "social club" in the window title as well as showing a picture.

The PC hardware I am using is pretty much totally different from the one I had in 2008. I checked rockstars website to see how to reactivate the game but I've long since trashed the old PC and no longer have the hardware so I cannot remove and restore the authentication as the website suggests. Is this why it won't authenticate? I have no idea because there are no error messages. Just the screen goes away with no explanation.

So is there anything I can do? It blows my mind that installing this game has burned up half my day... just as it did when I first installed it.

Really hope someone can help me. I know this is an old title and maybe the info is elsewhere on the forums, but I'm just burnt out and need a little spoon feeding.

Thank you.

From OP:

I'm running windows 7 64, ATI 5770, 2.4 Ghz dual, lots of mem. System requirements fullfilled.

Looking at other posts I can say I don't ever use Internet Explorer but version 8 is installed.

I don't have Windows Live installed. Is this necessary? I really hate to put that on my PC if I don't have to.

I really can't explain how deeply disgusted I am with Rockstar over all this. If I was a pirate I could probably have avoided all these problems but I paid full price for this game when it first came out here I am years later still wasting my time just trying to install it. Such a shame because it's a sweet game.

Can you confirm Windows Live is required? If so I'll try xliveless as you suggest.

I don't run anything except Slysoft's free software that lets you mount ISO-type images. No Daemon or any burning software, no other slysoft software (clone DVD, anyDVD, etc). The only thing I use for burning is what come with windows 7.

Specs:

WIndows 7 64 bit newest service pack

6GB mem

Core 2 6600 @2.4Ghz

ATI 5770

Hope that's enough.

I also tried running the GTA IV app as administrator with DPI scaling disabled, and in XP mode for both service pack 2 & 1. Windows profile from which I installed and have tried to run the game is administrator level.

As you may have guessed, my only intention is to run the game in single player mode, however, I might like to have the option to buy one or both of the service packs in the future.

Your help is much appreciated. I'll try xliveless later today if I don't hear back from you.

Update: Okay, tried xliveless but no change. I never installed windows live to begin with so maybe I have to do that first and disable it with xliveless? Beats me. Also it's unclear to what part of the rockstar game directory I am supposed to install xliveless because I have no window live files to look for. I didn't see any asi files, for example.

I did not install to the default directly. Not sure if that matters.

Well, there's another hour rockstar has stolen from my life...

Update: Okay, tried xliveless but no change. I never installed windows live to begin with so maybe I have to do that first and disable it with xliveless? Beats me. Also it's unclear to what part of the rockstar game directory I am supposed to install xliveless because I have no window live files to look for. I didn't see any asi files, for example.

I did not install to the default directly. Not sure if that matters.

Well, there's another hour rockstar has stolen from my life...

Please don't Double post, use the edit button. smile.gif

Is RG-Social Club still installed?

3lIXKDi.png

You should remove all that extra software.

Actually, following your advice I got it working. smile.gif Thank you.

Basically, installing Windows Live allowed it to load and run.

Do I really need to setup an account with Windows Live just to save a game? I recall doing this with Social club, but now I have to do it again with Windows Live?

Installing windows live got the game to run but I haven't created and account. Can I install xliveless now and be able to save games or must I create a profile first? I find the install instructions for xliveless confusing because I'm not seeing the original versions of the files it wants me to replace and I'm not sure what it means by my "game" directory.

suggestions?

Because it's working, I haven't bothered to uninstall True Image or slysoft image mounter.

Game directory is the directory the game is installed to, instructions here are very detailed http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=452840

Ah, okay. I just didn't go far enough. I had to create a profile, let windows live do it's thing, then exit out and apply xliveless patch. You were right. Those instructions were better.

Well, I guess this is as good an easy as it gets. I really do appreciate all your help.

I really just can't believe the hassle this was. I'm so disgusted with Rockstar that I'll never buy another title from them.

EDIT: Say is there a way to give you a good rating or up your forum rating or something? I dont' come here much but I know some forums do that and you certainly deserve it.

No, there is no rep system.

Note that in this case, GFWL is required like for other GFWL titles. Also, the problem you were having relates to Securom and how it sees disk imaging software.

No, there is no rep system.

Note that in this case, GFWL is required like for other GFWL titles. Also, the problem you were having relates to Securom and how it sees disk imaging software.

Just and FYI for future troubleshooting: I never did anything to True Image and sysoft image mount. It worked before and after I used xliveless.

Thanks again.