Favorite Speeches

Oddsock

Hello everyone!

I was just thinking of how I'm the only person I know who listens to speeches on my music player when I thought, "sayyy, I should ask the multicultural folks at GTAForums if they have any favorite speeches," because everyone loves a good speech. In my mind, a good speech isn't just moving and charismatic, but it carries a message or a sentiment through history.

The first I have in my possession is Franklin D. Roosevelt's "Infamy" speech (Youtube link. There's something about how you can hear the weight of grief and anger in his voice as he speaks to Congress and very much the entire nation about Japan's betrayal and the action to be taken for revenge. The mood of the audio clip is just astounding because it's such a pivotal point in my country's history.

The second speech I have is Winston Churchill's "We Shall Fight On the Beaches" speech (Youtube link). Churchill speaks very differently than FDR and when I first heard it I thought Churchill sounded like a rambling grandpa instead of the Prime Minister of Great Britain, but as I listen more to it I feel like his tone is more lamenting than it is rambling when he speaks about Dunkirk and the potential attempt at an invasion of the British Isles. Then as he raises his voice when he speaks of every last Briton defending their native land (indeed where the name of the speech comes from), I get goosebumps man. I'm definitely finding more speeches by Churchill.

I also found the final speech from "The Great Dictator", a Charlie Chaplin movie (

). I never knew Chaplin was such a good speaker and speechwriter. The message of this speech is so powerful it carries through time man.

Do you all have any favorite speeches? They don't have to be in English of course. A good speech doesn't cater to any particular language. Also, if anyone knows any good Czech speeches I'd love to look them up.

I always link the first one to "Good night, and good luck" by Edward Murrow, heh. I don't know why since they cover two totally different topics. Anyway, one of my favorites would have to be Mark Antony's speech from act 3 of Julius Caesar by Shakespeare. It's absolutely beautifully written and I can't help but to feel for Caesar despite me not liking him very much. Stunning oration, really.

Yq5y51Y.png

Anyway, one of my favorites would have to be Mark Antony's speech from act 3 of Julius Caesar by Shakespeare. It's absolutely beautifully written and I can't help but to feel for Caesar despite me not liking him very much.  Stunning oration, really.

This.

Still get chills watching Brando perform it. Mark Antony is a crafty son-of-a-bitch.

user posted image

Not sure if this counts, but this university Professor Randy Pausch knew he was going to die and gave his "last lecture" about his life and what he'd accomplished. Very heartwarming and inspiring.

Punk-in-Drublic

Stone Cold Steve Austins famouse King Of The Ring '96 speech.

I can't be arsed posting any philosophical speeches, so have one that probably changed the face of professional wrestling in the late 1990's.

When I want to get fired up for a game this speech does the trick. smile.gif

--- AMF ---

user posted image

-= A joke is a very serious thing - Winston Churchill =-

The greatest piece of hucksterism in American political history, and that's coming from a man who actually rather admires the accomplishments of Richard Nixon. Absolutely shameless, phoney and disgraceful:

Shakespeare's greatness in full swing as Henry V rouses his troops to kick the every living sh*t out of the Frogs:

As a Monarchist, I really love this speech.

Edited by Typhus

It's probably something the BNP/EDL would whack one out to, but what the heck.

Margaret Thatcher's response to the Argentine invasion of the Falkland Islands:

I like this topic. Good idea OdD. It's weird to hear the present echoed in the past, and that's something I came across a lot in Roosevelt and Eisenhower. The quoted material may not be the gist of the speech, but they were all interesting to me.

Eisenhower

Atoms for Peace:

The more important responsibility of this Atomic Energy Agency would be to devise methods where by this fissionable material would be allocated to serve the peaceful pursuits of mankind. Experts would be mobilized to apply atomic energy to the needs of agriculture, medicine, and other peaceful activities. A special purpose would be to provide abundant electrical energy in the power-starved areas of the world. Thus the contributing powers would be dedicating some of their strength to serve the needs rather than the fears of mankind.

Text

Farewell Address / Military-Industrial Complex:

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.

Text

Theodore Roosevelt

The New Nationalism:

Now, this means that our government, national and State, must be freed from the sinister influence or control of special interests. Exactly as the special interests of cotton and slavery threatened our political integrity before the Civil War, so now the great special business interests too often control and corrupt the men and methods of government for their own profit. We must drive the special interests out of politics.

Text

International Peace:

In new and wild communities where there is violence, an honest man must protect himself; and until other means of securing his safety are devised, it is both foolish and wicked to persuade him to surrender his arms while the men who are dangerous to the community retain theirs. He should not renounce the right to protect himself by his own efforts until the community is so organized that it can effectively relieve the individual of the duty of putting down violence. So it is with nations. Each nation must keep well prepared to defend itself until the establishment of some form of international police power, competent and willing to prevent violence as between nations.

Text

I Have Just Been Shot

Friends, I shall ask you to be as quiet as possible. I don't know whether you fully understand that I have just been shot; but it takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose. But fortunately I had my manuscript, so you see I was going to make a long speech, and there is a bullet - there is where the bullet went through - and it probably saved me from it going into my heart. The bullet is in me now, so that I cannot make a very long speech, but I will try my best.

Text

Rown rampage_ani.gif

The second speech I have is Winston Churchill's "We Shall Fight On the Beaches" speech (Youtube link). Churchill speaks very differently than FDR and when I first heard it I thought Churchill sounded like a rambling grandpa instead of the Prime Minister of Great Britain, but as I listen more to it I feel like his tone is more lamenting than it is rambling when he speaks about Dunkirk and the potential attempt at an invasion of the British Isles. Then as he raises his voice when he speaks of every last Briton defending their native land (indeed where the name of the speech comes from), I get goosebumps man. I'm definitely finding more speeches by Churchill.

Oh yes my favourite speech of all time, that and Lincoln's Gettysberg Address.

I've been looking through more of Churchill's speeches and I also found John F. Kennedy's "Ask Not What Your Country Can Do For You" speech at The Guardian! http://audio.theguardian.tv/sys-audio/Guar...peech_final.mp3

Enjoy that one boys. I might look into some Carl Sagan writings and speeches. Pale Blue Dot was always very awe-inspiring to me.

Margaret Thatcher's response to the Argentine invasion of the Falkland Islands:

I can't seem to find videos from our ex-president dictator saying how well we were doing in the war...

Yl8KS.jpg