GTA Series Shipped 114 Million

cas-97

Shipped dosnt mean SOLD btw.

GET OVER 1 BILLION IN GTA ONLINE WITH THIS GLITCH

Join the best of the best. Join the Republic of Zee.http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/member/zeegtaforums

Add me on Xbox: ZeeGTAForums and PS3: mtkgta420

The Continuing Adventures of Zeehttp://www.youtube.com/ZeeGTAForums

http://www.twitch.tv/zeegtaf

Deji is a coward.

CryptReaperDorian

That is correct. However, the GTA series has sold over 100,000,000 copies, and it is definitely one of the highest selling franchises of all time.

It does mean sold by Take-Two. Retailers buy it and then it's on them to sell through to users. Take-Two gets paid when it ships to stores.

That kind of depends on what contract the retailers have with publishers. Not sure how it works with video games, but with some products, the retailer never formally buys the product until it is sold to the final consumer.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

Some retailers purchase the games, others pay when they sell 'em.

Do I think GTA5 could make the number go higher? I don't think, I know. I wouldn't be surprised if GTA5 will be one of the best sellings games ever. When GTA4 was released many people still didn't have PS3 and Xbox 360. Today tens of million have a PS3 in their homes. If they do a good job hyping up the game it WILL be one of the best selling games. It's all about marketing. Even if GTA is well known they still must HYPE HYPE HYPE! Right now there's not much to do than wait. Announcement will come any day soon.

IMO It will beat Black Ops Record of Fastest Selling Game of all time. I mean History backs this up, GTA IV set history in 2008 and that was back when not even half of the number of people who have consoles today were playing it. Im Predicting gross of over 800 Million on its first week. And in the terms between Sales of the games and who makes money, I dont know about most Retailers, but on the Xbox On Demand service, the Publisher only makes money when the game is sold, then again this is easier due to the fact thats its all done digitally!

Edited by Morsaw

I can't speak for what goes on in the large chains but my personal experience in software retail is nothing is on consignment. The retailer owns the inventory that's on their shelf. If we over-stock, we may get to send it back depending on vendor return policies that vary from "no returns" to 30, 60, 90, 180 days, whatever, and sometimes with 20% restocking fees, but in any case we PAY to get the stuff and expect a refund if we send it back. It's SOLD to us.

Take-Two describes it as selling, not just shipping:

As of May 31, 2008, over 11 million units have been sold in to retailers and approximately 8.5 million units have been sold through to consumers.

There's no inventory with digital distribution so that is a commission system. I don't think the industry really wants to launch a big AAA title as a download yet. Retailers love the foot traffic and preorders and get cut out by downloads. Console manufacturers and accessory makers want you to go to a store and see the selection. A publisher would make money more slowly from downloads. For example, those 11 million units sold to retailers by May? In August the sell-through was still only up to 10 million. I'm sure Take-Two was happier to have the money in May.

Because of the secrecy etc V will outsell other games & set new records

I can be fairly sure most of those shipped gta's were sold, if not then why lol - the best series in gaming history rahkstar2.gif