Sergeant Dakota Meyer

TEoS

... since the Vietnam war anyway.

Anyway, kinda surprised this hasn't been mentioned at all, it's a pretty significant event for our military. His citation was read off for us at work today:

CORPORAL DAKOTA L. MEYER

UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS

For service as set forth in the following

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the repeated risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as a member of Marine Embedded Training Team 2-8, Regional Corps Advisory Command 3-7, in Kunar Province, Afghanistan, on 8 September 2009. When the forward element of his combat team began to be hit by intense fire from roughly 50 Taliban insurgents dug-in and concealed on the slopes above Ganjgal village, Corporal Meyer mounted a gun-truck, enlisted a fellow Marine to drive, and raced to attack the ambushers and aid the trapped Marines and Afghan soldiers. During a six hour fire fight, Corporal Meyer single-handedly turned the tide of the battle, saved 36 Marines and soldiers and recovered the bodies of his fallen brothers. Four separate times he fought the kilometer up into the heart of a deadly U-shaped ambush. During the fight he killed at least eight Taliban, personally evacuated 12 friendly wounded, and provided cover for another 24 Marines and soldiers to escape likely death at the hands of a numerically superior and determined foe. On his first foray his lone vehicle drew machine gun, mortar, rocket grenade and small arms fire while he rescued five wounded soldiers. His second attack disrupted the enemy’s ambush and he evacuated four more wounded Marines. Switching to another gun-truck because his was too damaged they again sped in for a third time, and as turret gunner killed several Taliban attackers at point blank range and suppressed enemy fire so 24 Marines and soldiers could break-out. Despite being wounded, he made a fourth attack with three others to search for missing team members. Nearly surrounded and under heavy fire he dismounted the vehicle and searched house to house to recover the bodies of his fallen team members. By his extraordinary heroism, presence of mind amidst chaos and death, and unselfish devotion to his comrades in the face of great danger, Corporal Meyer reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

Link to Article

Pretty impressive what he did, glad to see someone get recognized for something other than jumping on a grenade.

Not sure what discussion should come from this, but I think it's pretty cool.

9QRzUfn.gif?1

I read this at work today as I had happened to notice on Twitter that Barack Obama had his picture taken with Sergeant Meyer having a beer (and under it it said Sgt. Meyer was a recipient of the Medal of Honor), so I found a news article on CNN and read it.

Good for him, for sure - he certainly went above and beyond the call of duty.

clEsyRO.gif

Sounds like a great man. Just reading that list made me feel insignificant. Makes a change to see a positive topic regarding society as apposed to baby rape and jailed internet trolls. I'd buy him a pint, definitely.

Gotta say, I would buy him a beer too. There is a little part of me saying, as a military vet, in the lest condescending, demeaning, jealous, or any insulting way, "I would have done the same."

Still kinda irks me in how I got discharged and how I feel I could have done so much more. It just makes me happy that there are men out there getting the proper pats on the back for sh*t that they do in this war. With people shunning the United States, at home and internationally, I am beyond ecstatic to see men like him getting the proper notice for the sh*t that they have done for our country, this world, and their fellow soldiers.

fbiidcopyvo4.png