An interesting idea that GTA V should incorperate.

DTroll

So we all know how police forces deal with stolen cars, car chases, etc...right? They put out an APB on the car they're looking for. Now, I'm not saying that GTA V should have heavily realistic cop sequences like that...example below...

What I don't want:

You steal a car, cops see you, you get away...now cops who see you drive by in the vehicle you stole try to pull you over. Once you get pulled over, you get questioned. Once they know it was you, they take you to prison where you sit there for a week until trial. Then once you're found guilty you automatically lose the game because of how many crimes you've commited.

BUT, they should have something like this...

What I do want:

You steal a car, cops see you, you avoid them. Now, for the next (insert balenced number here) minutes, if any cop sees you in the car you just stole, you get a 1 star wanted level.

I'm just sick of the GTA cliche where you kill 3476 people, hop in a car, avoid the police, and then cops just suddenly forget about you like nothing happened.

I don't know, just my thoughts.

user posted image

evh5150vanhalen

I would like to add that if you commit a crime in a car it should be tied to the car.. If you evade police and then dump the car your wanted level should go away once you exit the vehicle. If i remember correctly a driver game done this, parallel lines I believe (sorry for mentioning that game I just think the idea is good)

This is something where you should balance realism with gameplay. GTA IV's system lacked in both, so I'm all for some changes. What you are suggesting is going to eat into gameplay. It will improve challenge, which is good, but it will also be an annoyance, unless there is a quick way to clean the slate. Suppose I'm doing a mission, and accidentally clipped a police car. Sirens, chase, all that commotion. Easy enough to shake, though, so not a problem. But now I'm running a danger of getting that 1 star back any time I pass near a cop? That's going to get old really fast. Fortunately, that's fairly easy to fix. For example, say cops only give chase if the car you're in still looks the same. Drive it through pay-n-spray, and you're a model citizen again. Assuming you had no wanted stars when you changed the car's color, of course.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

This is something where you should balance realism with gameplay. GTA IV's system lacked in both, so I'm all for some changes. What you are suggesting is going to eat into gameplay. It will improve challenge, which is good, but it will also be an annoyance, unless there is a quick way to clean the slate. Suppose I'm doing a mission, and accidentally clipped a police car. Sirens, chase, all that commotion. Easy enough to shake, though, so not a problem. But now I'm running a danger of getting that 1 star back any time I pass near a cop? That's going to get old really fast. Fortunately, that's fairly easy to fix. For example, say cops only give chase if the car you're in still looks the same. Drive it through pay-n-spray, and you're a model citizen again. Assuming you had no wanted stars when you changed the car's color, of course.

Of course! Keep all the old stuff too, like going through the pay n spray, and if car modification gets added, any exterior upgrades would clear the slate too.

EDIT: Or just hop out of your car, and transfer into a new car.

Edited by DTroll
user posted image

I would like to add that if you commit a crime in a car it should be tied to the car.. If you evade police and then dump the car your wanted level should go away once you exit the vehicle. If i remember correctly a driver game done this, parallel lines I believe (sorry for mentioning that game I just think the idea is good)

If I recall right one of the Need For Speed games did this too. You'd race and mod your car until it was your favourite and then it was too hot to drive anymore. Not that much fun IMO. I guess it's different for everyone.

I personally like the GTA way, how would you ever realistically continue after pulling 1/100th of things you do in the game. Give me short term memory cops any day!

mamaneverlovedme

no offense, but inst EVERY car in GTA considered a "stolen" car?

I have not played in a while, but I don't remember the option to buy any cars. That would mean no matter what you do, cops would be on your a s s the entire game. No thanks.

Well, if we're going to use cooldown times, then get rid of the seach radius. In fact, cooldown times actually make more sense than the search radius. Sure, they do search certain areas and highways, but it probably isn't a perfect circle every time and they probably increase patrols in the city too. They should also use road blocks. Seriously, they use spike strips in real life, and as far as I can tell they don't reserve them for cop killers only.

They use this principle in mafia 2 and I believe it was a good aspect to that game. (It needed something going for it!). I reckon it could be done in GTAV however since another game has done it I dont know how keen rockstar would be to implement such a thing

user posted image

Im with you bro. I think that we need a little different system though.

Now, follow along. Say I run over people. I get a 1 star level and cops start following me. I fire shots off and I have 2 now so there is a generally formidable number of cops chasing me. At this point if I drive into an alley, and sneak into or steal a new car, nothing happens. They still know it's me. They need to make it so you can change cars with a wanted level out of sight of cops and then you can get away like that.

Yeah, but if a cop sees you in a search zone, (i.e. pulling up next to a cop car) the chase resumes. Kinda like a cool off period from a pay and spray.

user posted image

Yeah, but if a cop sees you in a search zone, (i.e. pulling up next to a cop car) the chase resumes. Kinda like a cool off period from a pay and spray.

Yeah absolutely, if you get really close to one and they recognize you. But it is just totally nonsensical that they somehow magically know that you changed cars an

no offense, but inst EVERY car in GTA considered a "stolen" car?

I have not played in a while, but I don't remember the option to buy any cars. That would mean no matter what you do, cops would be on your a s s the entire game. No thanks.

No offense, but SA had the option of buying cars. wink.gif

I wouldn't mind this, there are ways to implement it that wouldn't affect the game play style too much and would make better use of Pay and Sprays, clothes shops etc.

Could apply wanted level to the Player and the Vehicle. So if the player is wanted, don't get too close to the cops in a vehicle otherwise the may recognise you, changing clothes or appearance would clear this.

The vehicle would be as simple as plate changing, or changing the colour or just stealing a new vehicle.

the thing about police work is that witness's are RARELY credible. if you steal a car or kill someone, it would be cool (if AI were capable of running this) have 2 cops come up to you and question you're whereabouts...(cops like to approach potential suspects in numbers if at all possible). the reasoning behind the cops questioning you is that they got a tip of someone matching you're description. beauty of it is that you may have had nothing to do with it at all. therefore once the cops complete the investigation they leave you alone. If you did have something to do with it they could try and place you in cuffs.

Because witness aren't that credible there should be some instances that you could walk by an NPC where the cops have approached him and started questioning him about something the player had done. witness's usually notice obvious things on a suspect such as color of a jacket or skin tone. this also creates tension between cops and civilians because of the civilian being questioned believes the police are always after them. "the man" is trying to bring 'em down therefore might revolt against the "poe-poe". i think if R* were to implement this it could be some fun added into the GTA world. but it's probably too far fetched. confused.gif

Prayersaredumb
So we all know how police forces deal with stolen cars, car chases, etc...right? They put out an APB on the car they're looking for. Now, I'm not saying that GTA V should have heavily realistic cop sequences like that...example below...

What I don't want:

You steal a car, cops see you, you get away...now cops who see you drive by in the vehicle you stole try to pull you over. Once you get pulled over, you get questioned. Once they know it was you, they take you to prison where you sit there for a week until trial. Then once you're found guilty you automatically lose the game because of how many crimes you've commited.

BUT, they should have something like this...

What I do want:

You steal a car, cops see you, you avoid them. Now, for the next (insert balenced number here) minutes, if any cop sees you in the car you just stole, you get a 1 star wanted level.

I'm just sick of the GTA cliche where you kill 3476 people, hop in a car, avoid the police, and then cops just suddenly forget about you like nothing happened.

I don't know, just my thoughts.

I like your idea. Only if it was in the hardest difficulty. If rockstar even had that option. other than that, I don't really care.

dat sounds really lame dude

ur typin is really lame dude..

Anyway's, Of course I'd like that feature! But one star? I'd say three, because, you got to remember, this isn't Liberty City (I mean that there will probably be less crime in the next city, judging that L.C. was based off of New York city, and I think you can understand what I mean when I say there is a lot of crime in N.Y.C.) so I'd expect a higher wanted level judging that it would be easier to catch some one in a less of a crime rate city.

They should keep it the way it is, but make a bit of space between being arrested and being shot at. Maybe introduce some different police weapons like bringing the nightstick back, a stun gun, tear gas, etc.

To solve the realism problem, I think they should add things like police surveillance, wiretaps, tails, and so on like real life in organized crime. The more crimes you commit (and get away with) the bigger your criminal profile gets and more heat will come on you as the police/FIB try to take you down. You may find yourself being followed by unmarked police cars, surveillance vans parked down the street from your safehouse, taps on your phones, etc. If you screw around and ignore these things then you will eventually get caught in a sting (4-5 star wanted level) when you least expect it.

There would be precautions to avoid this, like using a payphone instead of your cell to talk about business. I found that to be very unrealistic in GTA IV; you have Niko naming people on the phone and talking about murders he committed in vivid detail. Any dickhead on his first day out of the academy would have a field day on a criminal like that.

Sure, this could get annoying when you just want to play casually, but the cycle could be broken by simply being arrested, giving you a clean slate to start over on. There could also be a contact you could pay off to clear your name.

This needs to be implemented if GTA is to be taken to the next level of crime simulation. They need to make you feel like a real gangster, looking over your shoulder most of the time.

LongHairedFreakyGuy

On playing IV, I believe that somewhere it stated that your wanted level could be removed if you switched cars whilst not in view of the police, but for me, this never worked.

What IV did though was show that R* have been thinking about how the wanted system works, and what needs to be changed about it. They made it so that a 'wanted zone' appeared on the map, and by simply driving out of this area and hiding was enough to get rid of your level, no matter how high it was. You could have all the city's police force after you, but simply drive out of the zone, and they were gone, until you comitted another crime.

I think they should take a look at how Assassin's Creed Notoriety system works, and get some ideas from that.

When I first read the topic title I pictured the cop in transformers that was literally vehicles and cops together as one.

On playing IV, I believe that somewhere it stated that your wanted level could be removed if you switched cars whilst not in view of the police, but for me, this never worked.

It does work, but you have to make sure that no police officer can see you (if there's a helicopter nearby for example, it's not worth changing cars), and that, once you do change, you don't draw attention to yourself; keep to the correct lane, drive at a sensible speed and stop at traffic lights. Also, don't stay near any police for too long, otherwise they recognise you.

How about extending this to include clothing? So if you're able to kill/knock out someone without anyone seeing, you can exchange clothing with them and be able to simply walk out of the search radius. Make it temporary too; so that the police might pass you by as they arrest the person in your clothes but, once they notice they don't match your physical description, they start actively searching for you again. This might ramp up the tension, since you can't run away from the crime scene or break into cars with the police about, so you're walking at a steady pace worrying whether you'll get enough of a head start when the police come looking for you.

It does work, but you have to make sure that no police officer can see you (if there's a helicopter nearby for example, it's not worth changing cars), and that, once you do change, you don't draw attention to yourself; keep to the correct lane, drive at a sensible speed and stop at traffic lights. Also, don't stay near any police for too long, otherwise they recognise you.

How about extending this to include clothing? So if you're able to kill/knock out someone without anyone seeing, you can exchange clothing with them and be able to simply walk out of the search radius. Make it temporary too; so that the police might pass you by as they arrest the person in your clothes but, once they notice they don't match your physical description, they start actively searching for you again. This might ramp up the tension, since you can't run away from the crime scene or break into cars with the police about, so you're walking at a steady pace worrying whether you'll get enough of a head start when the police come looking for you.

Since Vice City, changing clothes would reduce a wanted level, and GTA IV I think it reduces your visibility just as changing vehicles does. The game notes your "appearance changed" suggesting leftover code from San Andreas' more elaborate appearance system. With GTA IV's line-of-sight pursuit, I think changing appearance reduces the distance police can see you. I don't remember if clothing stores will let you buy things while you have any wanted level though, and if you make it to your safe house to change clothes you may as well use the bed to lose the wanted level. The Happiness Is Land shirt is a Vice City-type clothing pickup available outside missions, if you don't have it already, and it might be interesting to experiment with what happens if you have a wanted level when you pick it up.

When I first read the topic title I pictured the cop in transformers that was literally vehicles and cops together as one.

I was picturing something more like moto-terminators but with cars.

Can be posted on wishlist topic. biggrin.gif

Why does this need to go in the wish list He's not wishing for it he's asking people would they like it

I like the idea of having a more realistic police force, although it has to be remembered that sometimes, people want to simply take part in a killing spree and once they escape from their wanted level, they want it to be over. They do not want to drive around for a lot longer while constantly on edge and worrying about being spotted.

Apart from that though, it is a nice idea and would add something different to the game.

I like the idea of having a more realistic police force, although it has to be remembered that sometimes, people want to simply take part in a killing spree and once they escape from their wanted level, they want it to be over. They do not want to drive around for a lot longer while constantly on edge and worrying about being spotted.

EDIT: Nevermind, I understand.

user posted image