Armored Vehicle Damage

TheShogunOfHarlem

TheShogunOfHarlem

Before posting I recommend that everybody check out this

on Tank damage/penetration/destruction mechanics for a game.

Everybody finished? Good! Now I know that trying to incorporate those mechanics would be pretty tough. But How Cool would it be! I actually find the damage mechanics for most armored vehicle to be kind of silly at times. GTA SA and TBOGT specifically where underwhelming because "armored" vehicles are vulnerable to small arms fire such as pistols, shotguns and assault rifles. TBOGT improved on SA's shortcomings in some ways but ultimately had the same basic problem in a different way. Shooting the APC with any weapon from the back would cause the vehicle to eventually explode. Vehicles that exploded too close to the APC would have the same result. This bugged me for many reasons. Most are obvious but the main reason is that armor penetration never is taken into account. An APC/IFV/MBT is often damaged/destroyed by armor penetrators such as a Shoulder fired weapon, Recoilless Rifle, HEAT missile or Enemy tanks munitions. Usually those types of penetrations (depending on the where the Vehicle is hit) either kill the operators, immobilized the vehicle or hit the fuel tank/Ammo stockpile and cause fires/explosions within.

If there is a perfect example of where realism would be at least nice to have it would be here.

I agree with you there, this is one area realism would benefit for sure, i think GTA uses tanks or anything military like it did in the old school days, just for laughs, the TBOGT use looked kind of similar, it wasn't supposed to be a big bad ass tank think happening, more like a well here's your tank, have a bit of fun, the realism couldn't be implemented properly for movement and everything else without a lot more work put into it, something i think R* had no intentions on doing for the DLC.

But i certainly agree that if they are going to do more interesting vehicles, armed & armoured vehicles should be done properly to be effective, just like some other vehicles too... I won't go on about the helicopter things, but they are a good example.

Tanks in the next GTA are what you'd have to say less realistic, because it's not an everyday vehicle you get to steal easily & have fun with on the streets, but at the same time, if they are in the next GTA, they should have the realism attached to how they move, weapons & armor, because otherwise it'll be what i think is the TBOGT way, which is a little annoying to me, i prefer things to be more realistic, because that is where the fun is at, but that's a whole lot of explaining to make that point clear, however i think it's the realism in the right places that ''sells'' things to be fun & good in the minds eye!

If the APC comes back they have to make it stronger. It's useless imo. I have had a brand new APC which was destroyed literally by 1 explosion next to it & a few pistol bullets.