Improved UK and Russian relations?

OchyGTA

Currently British Prime Minister David Cameron is in Russia to discuss relations, especially trade, with Russian President Dimitry Medvedev. This is the first discussions between the two countries since the murder of Alexandr Litvinenko by a suspected KGB agent in London in 2006. Do you think we should be willing to open up discussions with them since they are protecting the killer of the ex-KGB agent? Should we be encouraging investment in a country that suffers from heavy corruption and major problems with organised crime? Just to add, the press conference just finished and I have say that both leaders handled themselves very well. Also, the KGB apparently tried to recruit Cameron back in the 1980's according to one of the journalists, bit of a laugh.

Currently British Prime Minister David Cameron is in Russia to discuss relations, especially trade, with Russian President Dimitry Medvedev. This is the first discussions between the two countries since the murder of Alexandr Litvinenko by a suspected KGB agent in London in 2006. Do you think we should be willing to open up discussions with them since they are protecting the killer of the ex-KGB agent? Should we be encouraging investment in a country that suffers from heavy corruption and major problems with organised crime? Just to add, the press conference just finished and I have say that both leaders handled themselves very well. Also, the KGB apparently tried to recruit Cameron back in the 1980's according to one of the journalists, bit of a laugh.

We'll do what we always do. Ostensibly patch up relations whilst spending all of our time underhandedly trying to weaken them. Mind you, the state of the Russian economy at the moment, we won't even need to. In all fairness, its petty to strain relations between nations over an incident like this. At the end of the day, international relations is always more important than an individual. I mean, Turkey are making exactly the same mistake with regards to Israel at the moment- especially after the UN declared that the actions of Israeli Sayaret commandos on-board the Gaza bound freighters to be self-defence. At the end of the day, you just have to suck it up, accept that nations with aggressive intelligence agencies capable of conducting direct covert operations are going to do so regardless of the borders that they have to cross, and realise that the gain of continuing to do business outweighs the moral indignation.

The KGB hasn't existed for more than two decades. It's the FSB now.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

I suppose but the fact that they had an FSB (thank you for the correction) on our soil to commit a crime sort of disregards our sovereignty. I am all for improving trade with Russia and as you pointed out, their economy is doing well at the moment so this would only bode well for us but I think we need to take into account the consequences. If British investors start getting mixed up with organised crime and corruption do you think Russia will sit there and say its their fault. If it goes tits up then this is coming down on us

I suppose but the fact that they had an FSB (thank you for the correction) on our soil to commit a crime sort of disregards our sovereignty. I am all for improving trade with Russia and as you pointed out, their economy is doing well at the moment so this would only bode well for us but I think we need to take into account the consequences. If British investors start getting mixed up with organised crime and corruption do you think Russia will sit there and say its their fault. If it goes tits up then this is coming down on us

Go to the Russian embassy in Kensington Palace Gardens. Look around. I guarantee that about 30% of the employees of any given embassy in any given country on the planet are affiliated or work directly with that nation's intelligence services. The same is true if you went to Moscow and entered the British embassy- it would be chock-full of MI6/SIS officers. Foreign intelligence officers are incredibly prevalent in certain areas of any country. British investors are already mixed up with organised crime and corruption in Russia. Improving relations isn't going to make that any worse. Far from it- an improvement in relations may be enough to persuade Russia to dissuade from protecting the army of criminal hackers who operate either under the direct sanction of the intelligence services or at the very least with their blessing. Billions of pounds of cyber crime, billions of pounds of damage to British industry and commerce and hundreds of thousands of individuals left out of pocket or even homeless by cyber fraud originating from groups in Russia every year- I think that's worth dealing with.

Just because they improve relations doesn't mean that they're going to let bygones be bygones.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

I feel that Russia can be a valuable ally, but their flirtation with democracy should be seen as just that - a flirtation. Not a serious attempt to create a liberal, democratic state. Therefore there will always be numerous misunderstandings between us. Take, for example, the planes they keep sending over here to spy on us. It is nothing more than the Russian bear bearing his teeth, because their whole outlook involves killing and threatening those who disagree with them.

I respect Putin a great deal, he is a strong man and a strong leader. But we must never delude ourselves that our relationship with Russia can ever be 'friendly'. Russia has no friends, Russia will only do anything to benefit Russia. It's like we're facing a wolf and giving him lots of tasty pigs, hoping that when he gets to us, he is full up.

We will forever be entrenched in a psuedo-rivalry with these people, even if we do extend the olive branch from time to time.