Collectibles.

Mati

Do you think it's fun to search every single corner of a game to find every single collectible?

I think it depends on the game itself. There are games who do the job pretty well, like Fallout with tons of unique weapons and snowglobes or most GTA games, where it's fun as long as you don't have 199/200 pigeons. Most free roam games do the job pretty good, but I really hate collectibles in shooters. I enjoyed skulls and terminals in Halo somehow, but I hated them in games like Battlefield BC (1) or CoD. Why? BF may be very spaced, but for some of the collectibles, you have to run trough the whole level again. I never enjoyed collecting them in any CoD game, those intels in Black Ops were nothing but annoying.

I enjoyed them in Halo, because they were more than just an achievement; skulls could twist up your whole gaming experience and terminals told a second story on their own.

What do you think? Is it worth is to collect every single collectible in every game? As long as they're rewarding, I'm searching for them.

Nah, first of all I'm too lazy and I don't want to spend much time searching for stuff, if there was a reward involved, i'd either cheat or use a walkthrough/guide (which is cheating as well, ofcourse).

Only in GTA2 did I ever look for all Wang Cars.

GentlemanSquid

I enjoy collecting them, although it takes a while, which is one of the beauties of it. Not everyone takes the time out to collect them, so you have something to be proud of. The audio diaries in Bioshock were brilliant, they gave you back story on Rapture, not many games have collectible that tell back story.

I dunno about fun, but it gives the game life, even sometimes boring tasks, It's like trying to get an achievement or Trophy as well, when you think people can get stuff like that on different devices, that doesn't make it much of a competition, and of course, there are maps and cheats you contend with to make that field even less level

Depends on how many stuff I have to collect in a game really. Most of the time if there's an achievement at the end of collecting I'll usually go for it. Although I wont go for them when I get the game. I'll probably start collecting as the main game is over. I do like doing them though when I'm in the mood to. I've attempted to collect all of those pigeons in IV but haven't done it. My problem is that I get halfway and then get bored. Throw away the paper that had the last number on then forgot where I was.

Some amount of collectables in games are ridiculous and don't even offer rewards which is sh*t.

Collectables in games like Halo and Bioshock as mentioned are great as they offer you little bits of extra story and then there's Gears 2 which gives you a little bit of news about certain items. Red Dead's treasure hunt collectables were cool as it was done in a unique way and was quite fun. There are others but i forget...

I tend to go for finding the collectables but i just end up using guides found on the 'net anyway.

s0h607k.jpg

I don't mind collectibles, but the reward at the end must surely be worth it.

Bad Example: Pigeons in IV.

Good Example: Halo Skulls

Now I think of it, I did collect all the newspapers in L.A. Noire, because it added something to do the story.

Collectibles are the same as achievements in that they are a cheap way of getting you to play the game more. I like collectibles in games where they actually give you something, otherwise I wont waste my time for a sh*tty achievement.

I like games like Batman: Arkham Asylum where the collectibles have some kind of puzzle attached to them (riddler challenges). Portal 2 was good for collectibles aswell simply because the game was so good and you wanted to see what the easter eggs were.

I focus on the actual game more than anything else, I think there needs to be less emphasis on collectibles monocle.gif.

LongHairedFreakyGuy
Collectibles are the same as achievements in that they are a cheap way of getting you to play the game more. I like collectibles in games where they actually give you something, otherwise I wont waste my time for a sh*tty achievement.

I like games like Batman: Arkham Asylum where the collectibles have some kind of puzzle attached to them (riddler challenges). Portal 2 was good for collectibles aswell simply because the game was so good and you wanted to see what the easter eggs were.

I focus on the actual game more than anything else, I think there needs to be less emphasis on collectibles monocle.gif.

Basically, this.

The worst offenders are linear games that don't allow you to go back through the level/game, yet missing just one collectable means you miss out on achievements and whatnot. Take Alan Wake for example, where the earlier parts of the game cannot be re-visisted, thus meaning you spend around an hour searching every nook and cranny.

I haven't had many problems/issues with collectables in games as of recently, as they always add stuff to the game, rather than just been there to force you to explore the game more. Free-Roam games, such as GTA and Assassins Creed are fine with adding collectables, as you spend half the time exploring the map anyway, but linear games shouldn't force you to look for them.

The collecting should not be forced, for any achivements just for the sake of having an achievement and something else to do, eg GTA4 pigeons. Completely meaningless other than for the devs to put in some hurdles to make someones game seem longer to complete.

Where as stuff like Fallout and Deus Ex, Borderlands etc. You get rewarded for turning over every little pile of sh*t in every corner. If the items are specifically collectables like the Fallout bobbleheads, make it a reasonable number, 20 was fine enough. On EVERY one of my playthroughs maybe 6 or 7 playthroughs on Fallout 3, I ALWAYS collected all the bobbleheads first, because they actually give you extra skill points which are used to great effect early on in the game.

GTA3 had it right, every 10, you get something really worth it. But putting anything in for the sake of making an achievement out of it, is f*cking bullsh*t.

I especially am REALLY against it in level based games, all the call of duty bullsh*t having to collect stuff where the game is not easily accessable or free roamable.

Not to mention. DO NOT make any collectable missable. I had that with Far Cry 2, and collected 221 diamonds just to find out that you missed one somehow when changing maps at the point of no return. Or linking them in with the story so you have to complete it to get the achievement.

Complete crap. If they have no reason to be there, then dont put them in. Certainly not just for the sake of a f*cking achievement.

kT8ve9H.png

Harwood Butch3r

It depends on the game. LA Noire is the only game where I've collected everything mostly because I found it fun to do.

I do hate however collectibles that are just too much. The 200 flying rats in GTA IV were a bad example. I gave up after 50. I also hate it when some games that have collectibles can only be collected in certain levels of the story like the pinups in Mafia II.

Overall I think they're a good addition for something else to do, but they need to be done right for me to get the motivation to actually collect them in the first place.

Never. Waste of time to be honest, and really just a bad way for developers to extend the life of a game. If there's a story to be told, tell it, don't make the player spend mind-numbing hours searching for collectible items that ruin it.

It's also basically impossible to find some collectibles in games without going online too... which further ruins any enjoyability for me. Unless you enjoy pulling your hair out in anger that the collectible isn't where it's located of the online map.