"Rockstar Games Presents" on GTA logo?

Magic_Al

For its recent games, Rockstar has integrated "Rockstar Games Presents" with the logo of the game on the front of the box:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

They have NOT done this with GTA before, but it seems to be a recurring style starting with RDR. (I don't think it started deliberately with Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis, because "table tennis" can't be trademarked.)

Rockstar Games Presents appears on recent games' website titles, but most of the GTA official site titles are styled as Rockstar Games: Grand Theft Auto. They've used the phrase before but not this prominently and consistently.

So I wonder if we'll be seeing "Rockstar Games Presents Grand Theft Auto" on the next GTA box. Is it unnecessary extra words cluttering the iconic GTA logo or a great way for Rockstar Games to promote itself across all its games?

Harwood Butch3r

Interesting thread. Even Agent carries the same subtitle. They very well could. It does seem like a recurring pattern that to be honest I never thought much of before.

Al, maybe it has something to do with possibly starting a film company? Maybe to broaden the brand image across genres. It will be "Rockstar Games presents" and "Rockstar Films presents". Not sure here, just guessing. Here is the link to the trademark article as a refresher: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/31074...rockstar-films/

I believe it's only a way to attract the attention of non-informed, normal gamers who aren't into reading the news on video games regularly. They do this to attract their attention to their name which has been associated with Grand Theft Auto. You mentioned Table Tennis, and that's another example of a title from Rockstar that came before GTA IV, and yet there's no 'Rockstar Games Presents' on IV's cover, because any regular gamer knows that Rockstar is behind that fascinating title!

marketing strategy. They know they are good enough to sell games just for their reputation.

Exactly. When you think of Rockstar, what's the next thing do you think of? GTA of course.

Don't expect to see this on a GTA title, Rockstar just loves riding on with their GTA reputation with other games.

Sunrise Driver

What FiS!!HeR said. GTA doesn't need "Rockstar presents". It's R* who needs "From makers of GTA".

It wouldn't be the same and anyway why would they do that when all of the GTA's since III has never had this so no.

Well... what I really know is that NOBODY is this World is prouder of the "Rockstar Games" games, than... the R* itself! biggrin.gif

And who says this ain't true, is a liar!!

I think it should carry the "Rockstar Games Presents" just to keep it consistant with their brand. As for those saying they're using it to boost the other games, I would agree on RDR and L.A.Noire, but bloody hell, Max Payne is Legendary and sure as hell doesn't need to promoted to ride on GTA coattails.

For its recent games, Rockstar has integrated "Rockstar Games Presents" with the logo of the game on the front of the box:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

They have NOT done this with GTA before, but it seems to be a recurring style starting with RDR. (I don't think it started deliberately with Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis, because "table tennis" can't be trademarked.)

Rockstar Games Presents appears on recent games' website titles, but most of the GTA official site titles are styled as Rockstar Games: Grand Theft Auto. They've used the phrase before but not this prominently and consistently.

So I wonder if we'll be seeing "Rockstar Games Presents Grand Theft Auto" on the next GTA box. Is it unnecessary extra words cluttering the iconic GTA logo or a great way for Rockstar Games to promote itself across all its games?

sounds like rockstar is trying to rebrand themselves even though its not needed but its always good

Interesting thread. Even Agent carries the same subtitle. They very well could. It does seem like a recurring pattern that to be honest I never thought much of before.

You guys recall the much in dispute DeepT teaser GTA IV trailer, for the record, no one even knows if it was really DeepT or not, it was just tagged that way on the end for a split second! It certainly got people talking. But this is something us SCOUTS take into account if something is forged or paraded around as GENUINE article. We can then easily debunk it! But now we gave those clever fiends a clue as to how that works! hahaha

Can't find that trailer for a link here, but this summizes some info at least

Edited by Slamman

With LA Noire, they had to put it because they didn't make the game, they just published it. Like was said with Table Tennis, that isn't trademarkable. Red Dead comes from the original Red Dead where it was made by a team that wasn't yet a R* studio. Max Payne may be a similar situation where MP1 and MP2 weren't made by R*. (Yet Undead Nightmare didn't have the Presents text.)

GTA has been a R* game since just after GTA2 was released. It is therefor highly unlikely that GTAV will have the addendum to the logo.

Like everyone else said. Besides the obvious trademark logo on the cover, when you see "Rockstar Games Presents", it definately attracts more attention, and lets face it - it sounds damn professional. tounge.gif

In the loading of any GTA game you always have the "Rockstar Games Presents... A Rockstar North Game.... GTA V"

I can never remember, but maybe their official DLC trailers had a similar introduction you could call official signs of what's faked, what's genuine

The one you'd download to view for free off the game network for example

Deff a pro voice over! hahaha

Edited by Slamman

The whole point of the Rockstar presents tag is to show you they are the guys responsible for GTA thats why a game like L.A.noire sold way more than it should have. It wont be on the GTAV cover they really don't need it take the movie inception for example, the tagline for that is "from the director of TDK" but come TDKR I guarantee there will be nothing like that on any of the posters.

No offense but this is a useless thread.

No offense but this is a useless thread.

I disagree, this is a small interesting thing. Some people here have put it down as a marketting trait where others have said creative, very few developers do this, the only other one I can think of is Kojima Production, even dating back to MGS1 "A Hideo Kojima Game".

Rockstar Games Presents sounds very formal and professional, I'd like them to keep it. Can we get any photo wizards in here to knock up a quick example of how it might look?

No way to guess some stylistic or thematic choices or the secondary font, so, sticking to basics:

user posted image

Eh.

I don't think Rockstar will use the '..presents' line on a GTA game logo. The whole franchise is big enough to be recognised on it's own with out developer labels on it, either way every fan knows who Rockstar is. On the other hand, it would be a nice touch of consistency for it to appear as the game loads when you first play it.

For their other franchises however, I like the '..presents' line. IMO it feels like they are showing us that this is a game that has an original story, characters and game play, and it is created by a company with a considerable reputation. It also boosts their image that they also create other great games to those that only see them as GTA developers.

The Producers getting credit on other games, as well as GTA throws some people off, while at the same time, not much is often read into the billing credits and order of video games. By and large. Once those leaked trailers come out, or stills from a new game, everything becomes subject of much debate, but if you're getting the game and it's there, the whole kit and kaboodle, then there's not much analyzing going on! biggrin.gif

As far as the early game production and Rockstar taking over a game to complete it, that's the valid point I think behind it, but it's also notable that ROCKSTAR NORTH vs ROCKSTAR GAMES will get credited for GTA primarily, but to have fun with this idea, why not create several graphics where SAM AND DAN HOUSER PRESENT is the title's intro for the game or ads?

Or have it read "The Housers Present"... 2 color motif

I think that would be something of an inside joke for us fans, but I'd like to see what reaction it would garner as well

Edited by Slamman

Credits could be a whole other topic, but I notice Rockstar is already emphasizing that Max Payne 3 is a multi-studio collaboration. "Rockstar Games Presents" can be a way to emphasize that the whole company worked on a game, and not just the lead studio whose color is on the back of the box. Even more than GTA IV did, the next GTA will benefit from a lot of work done outside Rockstar North. Much of the difference in visual quality between GTA IV and GTA next will be because of the work done beyond North on other games.

Snake Without a Tongue

Hm, it'll be interesting to see if they use it for GTA. Might just be to introduce new franchises.

• 1 month later...

Yeah me too. Most likely the logo will not be in same pattern unlike previous GTA's. But if GTA V will be named to something like San Fierro then we have a total different case. Max Payane 3 logos are 2-3 types.

user posted image

confused.gif I really don't see it to be honest. It has appeared on newer titles which are less familiar to people, it's not necessary for GTA. Plus on L.A. Noire it's included because R* helped to publish the game. And on the other titles it was from different studios. I really don't think we'll see it on GTA. Not that it makes any difference at all. It doesn't fit or look good at all on the bold traditional GTA logo.

I don't see why they need to put "Rockstar Games presents..." on the cover anyway, because at the bottom corner there's always the R* logo.

TrevorSpeed914

My thoughts carried over from another thread: When you see a film by Stanley Kubrick, his name is every where. His reputation always proceeded him, and you knew a Kubrick film when you saw one, but the trademark title was there to stay. Rockstar is now one of the big boys: They produce more than just GTA, and do it quite well.

Who really cares whether or not they do it, though? Does the game logo effect your playing experience? No.

Well, in the case of LA Noire R* was simply presenting it. It's not so much that it's riding on GTA's coattails that it is R* weren't responsible for actually making the game, right?

The "presents" bit is usually used to signify that it is a new our breakout product or that the company presenting it used other divisions or companies to actually make it. Think of R* as the overall body, presenting new games made by their sub-companies.

As you can see, the "presents" is only present on newer R* games - we don't know for sure if it would or wouldn't be on newer GTA games.

It will probably be used in the advertising, when they say "R* games presents... <fade to black> *boom* GTA V"

I don't think it will be on the actual games, but I don't know.

pkmTc.gif