Another Upgrade Thread

Blaze

Second thread I've done on this in a day but my friend evan has an Acer Aspire X1301. He said he'd spend about £500 upgrading. Obviously I thought AMD 955 Black Edition but I can't find out if the sh*tty acer board supports AM3. Also a new case would be needed for a new card as it's a mATX case/board which would in turn require a new PSU to power the card. He sent me a speccy of it anyway. So what on earth would he do? Originally he was going to upgrade but a new AM2 board, processor, card, PSU and 8GB of DDR2 etc would be pointless when he could buy an i5. The only salvageable thing is the 1TB drive.

user posted image

user posted image

tRSmCi4.gif

I don't think that board is enough for the AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE. Even though it might support AM3, the BIOS would display the processor is not supported and although things might run on it, the capabilities of the X4 can never be used to the max extent. Then, it would be better to go for that i5. Also, 8GB RAM isn't exactly necessary, not even for a high end gaming rig. And why go for DDR2 when DDR3 boards and RAM are getting cheaper by the hour?

All in all, I think it'd be better that he go for the i5. Then the Aspire can be used for alternate purposes and whatnot. Upgrading all of the other computer just because the board is a mATX is worse than buying a brand new one.

Yeah, decided on a Core i5 2500k / 550ti build which came to under £400 (before we got raped by VAT sad.gif ) A mod feel free to close this.

Edited by Blaze

tRSmCi4.gif