McAfee and Virusses

Exxon

Hi everyone,

I just got this annoying problem with McAfee, it keeps flagging a file as a trojan.

I know it's not a virus as my friend has used the file for over a month, without any problems.

Is there I way that I can chose to not let McAfee delete the file?

I can't click something like 'This is a safe file, don't delete'. Know what I mean?

Thanks in advance,

Exxon

leik oh em jeez!

Is your friend using Anit-virus software? What's the file?

There's a good possibility that there is some form of malware in the file that your friend isn't aware of.

Is your friend using Anit-virus software? What's the file?

There's a good possibility that there is some form of malware in the file that your friend isn't aware of.

This.

Sometimes what may look like a perfectly legit file, someone may have very slyly stuck ad-ware, spyware on his pc.

Ask your friend if his internet keeps redirecting him, if so the file contains ad-ware.

Open the file in a sandbox so no virus can f*ck your pc up.

Get rid of Mcafee, install Microsoft Security Essentials. Then boot into safe mode and run MalwareBytes wink.gif

tRSmCi4.gif

Mcafee is terrible and bloated. I recommend uninstalling that crap and getting something like Kaspesky AV or Malwarebytes Pro. Then you'll be able to do what you asked and more, with much less of a memory footprint.

DU8afL0.jpg

I've only used it on an Enterprise scale, but any good AV should allow you to put in "exceptions". Look around for that particular word.

As others have said, McAfee is terrible and bloated. You're better off installing Microsoft Security Essentials (free), Spybot SD (free, run with regular scans) and MalwareBytes (free, run with regular scans). You'll be using less resources than McAfee and have better protection.

user posted image

I actually have had 3 virus attacks in less than 2 years sigh.gif

Still, my pc still works like a charm smile.gif

My father is getting a bit tired of me, if I could just decide what to do with my pc myself confused.gif

I have some regular scans that I run, but my PC stays pretty much virus-free and I've had it for 5 years. "Virus attacks" are usually a result of the user's browsing habits, so I'd be wary of the sites you're going to.

user posted image

Virusses, virus attacks. Almost the same wink.gif

But doesn't McAfee need to protect me against both of them? tounge.gif

These guys are right, as far as I know McAfee is a really good antivirus and I certainly don't think it's faulty. Trust me, you may wanna delete that file. HOWEVER, the antivirus may mistakenly (even though I STRONGLY doubt it, it is a very high chance) take a thing as a virus cause it can't figure out WTF this program is, like NoCD cracks.

Submit the file here http://www.virustotal.com/ and here http://virusscan.jotti.org/en just to be sure it's safe or not

After that you can, or should be able to, tell your anti-virus to exclude that file or even the folder it's in. HOWEVER, every so often let your anti-virus scan it again and if it finally passes then you can remove it from the exclude list. Some times when an anti-virus maker puts out a new set of definitions it ends up making false-positives and once it's been noticed they will release an update that fixes it.

Submit the file here http://www.virustotal.com/ and here http://virusscan.jotti.org/en just to be sure it's safe or not

After that you can, or should be able to, tell your anti-virus to exclude that file or even the folder it's in. HOWEVER, every so often let your anti-virus scan it again and if it finally passes then you can remove it from the exclude list. Some times when an anti-virus maker puts out a new set of definitions it ends up making false-positives and once it's been noticed they will release an update that fixes it.

How can I ever submit the file?

As soon as I extract the file (that's needed, you need to extract it first from .zip) McAfee deletes the file angry.gif

And oh, now I think about it: I got the file on 06/7 and after a few weeks, it was said to be a trojan confused.gif

I clicked the link which McAfee gives, and it said it was uploaded (info about it) on 28/7 angry.gif

nightwalker83
Mcafee is terrible and bloated. I recommend uninstalling that crap and getting something like Kaspesky AV or Malwarebytes Pro. Then you'll be able to do what you asked and more, with much less of a memory footprint.

Not to mention it makes all the programs on the computer run slow when it is scanning the computer.

Not to mention it makes all the programs on the computer run slow when it is scanning the computer.

Tell me about it notify.gif

I was surfing the web once, but was doing something else I can't remember and due so switched to my father's account.

Went to Control Panel or so, and was wondering why in the hell it got so slow = McAfee scanning sigh.gif

Now I think about it, could it be that McAfee makes my IV have 20 fps? tounge.gif

Finn 7 five 11

I was surfing the web once, but was doing something else I can't remember and due so switched to my father's account.

Went to Control Panel or so, and was wondering why in the hell it got so slow = McAfee scanning sigh.gif

Now I think about it, could it be that McAfee makes my IV have 20 fps? tounge.gif

Exxon your computer isn;t the greatest, but your pc should get 30+.

Oh god i remember when i had norton, it slowed my internet to a crawl, ugh!

As soon as I extract the file (that's needed, you need to extract it first from .zip) McAfee deletes the file angry.gif

And oh, now I think about it: I got the file on 06/7 and after a few weeks, it was said to be a trojan confused.gif

I clicked the link which McAfee gives, and it said it was uploaded (info about it) on 28/7 angry.gif

Try it 2 ways.

First submit the zip file itself. The scanners will extract the files and scan everything.

Second disable McAfee's watch dog or whatever it might call it, basically disable the anti virus and extract the files BUT DO NOT DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN THAT. As long as you don't run the exe or try to open any of the other files you should be fine. Now you can submit the file(s) for online scanning.

If you want to switch to a different anti-virus, to go along with the MSE already suggested, I personally suggest Avira AntiVir or Avast. AVG is crap if you ask me but others might argue that so your mileage my vary

nightwalker83

Yeah, it might be.

Try it 2 ways.

First submit the zip file itself. The scanners will extract the files and scan everything.

Second disable McAfee's watch dog or whatever it might call it, basically disable the anti virus and extract the files BUT DO NOT DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN THAT. As long as you don't run the exe or try to open any of the other files you should be fine. Now you can submit the file(s) for online scanning.

If you want to switch to a different anti-virus, to go along with the MSE already suggested, I personally suggest Avira AntiVir or Avast. AVG is crap if you ask me but others might argue that so your mileage my vary

AVG isn't crap but it's one of those AV's that make your pc run very slow and require tons of updates too

I like Avast! because it has a gaming modus, and it doesn't take too much CPU power to run properly...same goes for microsoft security essentials, fast download and install, it's ready in about 2 minutes or something and it doesn't need registering (but it checks if your windows is legit!)

don't have any experience with Avira...

but I remember having ad-aware and spybot S&D...don't know if they're all that good actually

AVG isn't crap but it's one of those AV's that make your pc run very slow and require tons of updates too

Hence the reason I say it's crap. It's also usually low or mid range on a list of top 10 free and pay anti-virus

The only downside that Avira has is the popup that shows up when it updates the defs, but that is easily taken care of.

Ad-aware and Spybot have nothing to do with the topic. However I no longer use, or even suggest, Ad-Aware any more and the main reason I suggest Spybot still is for it's immunize system.