When will GTA III be added to Rockstar Classics?

dizzy_gopher

Grand Theft Auto III will be turning ten years old this October. Since it's release it has been ported, has sequels, prequels, and has spiraled into a successful franchise: it is indeed the mark of a Rockstar classic. So why hasn't Rockstar acknowledged this fact on the Rockstar Classics download page? I mention ten years because the site launched with Grand Theft Auto I in May 2003, a little over five years past it's US release date. In 2005, Rockstar continued the trend by releasing GTA III also five years past it's release. Also proving it's point, Wild Metal was also released as a free download 4yrs 11mo (close enough to 5 years) after it's release.

So every game has had a mere 5 years before it could be retired to the vault. GTA III, however, has been basking for soon-to-be double that time! Rockstar, I think it's time to put the classic in it's place: people need to play this... it's time to turn GTA III into the classic it's been hoping to be for half of it's life now!

Oh, and a early happy birthday to GTA III. I wish to play you on your birthday the way you were meant to be honored by now: as a classic.

[...] In 2005, Rockstar continued the trend by releasing GTA III also five years past it's release.[...]

You really mean GTA III?

spaceeinstein

I think R* released the classics for free because those games were released under the DMA Designs name. GTA III PC was released just as DMA Designs changed its name to R* North.

GTA III PC was released just as DMA Designs changed its name to R* North.

...So it can still be released because the PC version is almost the same PS2 version, with the latter made by DMA.

Personally I would love to see it on the Classics site - but, as we all know, it's up to Rockstar in the end to decide whether to put it or not.

universetwisters

maybe in a few more years

Grand Theft Auto 3 has changed the face of open world gaming, but we should give it a few more years. It's only ten years old, after all

sTgL5iS.png

I think they should skip that. They should port it to PS3 and 360 in higher res textures and finish the intended multiplayer that was cancelled but found in game files.

Oh and trophy support!

1 trophy per mission. That would be a great game for trophy hunts.

And a trophy for finding the secret easter egg behind the wall in staunton.

• Like 1
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

universetwisters
intended multiplayer that was cancelled but found in game files.

Oh and trophy support!

MIND.

BLOWN.

sTgL5iS.png

intended multiplayer that was cancelled but found in game files.

Oh and trophy support!

MIND.

BLOWN.

Damn right, that's totally useless stuff. It will only ruin the game, if you ask me.

Oh, and those trophies are sh*t!

Well IDK if it's gonna make the classics list but if the 10 year re-do of Max Payne (LINK) gives any hint, a HD upgrade may be in the works.

Edited by Niall

• 3 weeks later...
Los Santos Pedestrian
It's only ten years old, after all

Ten years in video game/internet time is half an eternity.

I'm guessing it will be added to the classics on it's 10th anniversary or around that time, say a month or two after

Arsen Vitiuk
It's only ten years old, after all

Ten years in video game/internet time is half an eternity.

I'm guessing it will be added to the classics on it's 10th anniversary or around that time, say a month or two after

I really hope so too. It would be great!

But we'll just have to wait and see...

• 3 weeks later...
Well, today's the big day and no update on Rockstar's Classics page. However it is 66% off on Steam, making it 3.39$ USD. Pretty good, but it's not free. You can also buy most of DMA/Rockstar's North GTA suite for 12.49$; that's GTA I, II, III, VC, SA, IV and IV's expansions. That's missing London 1961/1969, but that's still free online. Hoping within the next couple of years Rockstar will quietly push GTA III to the classics page. Until then, ya gotta pay.

That's sad, but still, I'm glad!

I agree that GTA III is a Classic-but it is a darn good classic game that is special in it's own unique ways...It was the first GTA I played(first played on my cousin's PS2) and then when I got my first computer in 2005, it was the first game I got, and I still play it to this day-even after playing IV and EFLC on both PS3 and PC...

With that being said, It is not near time for III to be released as a Free game, it is still a game that has A LOT of replay value and one that should be a fee-based game-NOT Freeware.... tounge2.giflol.gif

But since today is III's 10th birthday, I would like to say this is a TERRIFIC game and has A LOT of replay value to it-even after IV....

Is there any single fan who doesn't have GTA III in his collection?

Nope, I have all 3 versions-X-Box(play on the 360), PS2(Greatest Hits and Trilogy pack) and PC(Original and Trilogy pack)... tounge2.gif

Finn 7 five 11
Is there any single fan who doesn't have GTA III in his collection?

The Cacti has only played IV era games.

They won't add it to Rockstar Classics as long as they are making money from it, until the money stops it's gonna cost.

It is more than possible that the game won't be added to Classics before it is 20 years old - it's just popular as it is.