Short Story Of The Month

Rhoda

user posted image

First of all, hello and welcome to Short Story Of The Month. Second of all, good to be on time! Having a day or two shaved off the previous month didn't exactly do much to limit the entries, as we had a great run last time, but it won't happen again. Third of all, where the hell has 2011 gone?! Why has this year gone so quickly? I didn't sign up for this, I want to talk to my agent.

Right, so, here we go.

This month's theme was picked by Vercetti21 after he won August's competition with The Eclipse. For those that missed it, it's currently pinned in WD and will be for the duration of this month. The theme is:

JUSTICE VS. COMPASSION

Curious choice? You bet, but I reckon it's just as opened-ended as anything we've had before. I expect interesting results. Once again, pieces can be as short or as long as you want, but bear in mind that either extreme may impact negatively on how it's received. A guideline would be anywhere around 750-1000 words, but these are only rough.

Entry is open until Monday 26th September. After that we'll open a voting topic for people to choose their favourite.

There you have it! Now where's my telephone? Me and my agent are having words this afternoon...

Sorry if I've missed something but where is it that we're meant to vote?

Voting for the last competition has closed, but when the voting is open a topic is posted and pinned in WD. You've voted before surely?

Sorry if I've missed something but where is it that we're meant to vote?

Voting for the last competition has closed, but when the voting is open a topic is posted and pinned in WD. You've voted before surely?

I must have missed it, I'm careless like that. I'll be sure to look out for the voting topic this time though.

For future reference, it's right where this topic usually is. smile.gif

Anyway, first impressions of the theme? Ideas? Questions?

I have an idea in mind (inspired by a videogame character, no less) but I'm going to mull it over for a week or two before I start, see if anything better comes to mind. Nice choice.

Edit: Just had another idea inspired by an Edgar Allan Poe tale I read the other day. In fact, the Poe style might lend itself well to the first idea I had. Hmmmm....

Edited by SIKKS66
user posted image

It's definitely one of the more challenging themes. I like it. cool.gif

Shayan Shaffey

compassion means something like "Love" right? If so, I think I can do something with it. But because my entries suck, I might not participate at all.

user posted image

compassion means something like "Love" right? If so, I think I can do something with it. But because my entries suck, I might not participate at all.

Nah man, keep it up. Take criticism on board and just keep writing. We all have sh*t to learn.

user posted image

Your entry last month actually brought a lot of thoughts and situations to my mind as I was reading it, I found it really interesting. You should definitely try again this time!

Ronmar The Only

Hmmm. I might try to do something for this. I'm not making any promises though, besides that I'll try to be more active on the forums.

If I do work on something, it will be a very open interpretation of the topic, most likely. Maybe something way out there. Maybe people having a conversation. Hmmm. Have to think on this.

I will definitely try and vote though. I should have some free time to dedicate to reading the stories at the end of September.

Also, should we make some master Short Story of the Month topic that has links to all previous competitions so that there is a more definite record of the comp?

When we first started a year or two back, we had a list of each winner and a link to their entry. I might start including them again. A bit of recognition's nice after all.

Sure. I'll work on it this week, so that each month has a link, and each link has... more links... er... ah, balls to it, I know what I mean.

Shayan Shaffey
OK, I'm in. If a miracle happens and someone likes my story, I would be as happy as a pedo with lolicon (wooow, now THAT was creepy)
user posted image

Don't forget, you have just under 4 weeks to think of idea and write it, so don't rush anything. smile.gif

EDIT: Nevermind. We're gonna play this by ear.

Edited by saltinespike

• 2 weeks later...

Not many entries so far, how is everybody's work coming along?

I think I have the story fleshed out in my head but of course strange and often great things can happen when it comes to writing. Might be stretching the theme out a bit but like Craig said it's a fairly open ended subject so hopefully you guys pick up on the "Justice vs. Compassion" motif when it pops up in my story.

Apologies to John Steinbeck for stealing two of his characters. Not completely of course, I'm putting a dark spin on them and making them my own creations but they are certainly inspired by two of Steinbeck's characters. Respect to those who spot them when I finally release it tounge.gif

user posted image

Compassion (n.): a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering.

I would say use this as a reference. If justice is 'an eye for an eye', then compassion is 'an eye for a slap on the hand'. As a showing of mercy, it could be interpreted as a virtue or a weakness. Or you could take it somewhere completely outside of the box and shed your own light on the meaning of the word.

Decided last minute to submit a western for this month. I do hope I'm not the only last minute entry and the turnout jumps up.

I had an idea but I can easily see it going on to 3000 words which would be a bit too long I think. Might try think of something else before the deadline. Might give writing something a crack tonight.

Edit: A great idea came to me today at work. Work on this piece begins tonight wink.gif

Edited by SIKKS66
user posted image

Yep, only a couple of days left. I have a last minute idea that I intend to develop when I get home from work. Seems that this theme has proven to be tricky one! I'll also read the other entries too.

Does that mean we have to get em posted before the 26th or the 26th is the last day? Either way I need to get typing!

user posted image

If they're posted on the 26th, that's fine too, I'm hardly going to disqualify you, haha.

As much as I would have liked to participate, I don't think I can come up with anything for this month, Craig. I had way too many other things to write this month for class (not to mention an article for Cracked.com), so I've been real busy. Hopefully I can still participate in the next one. I will, however, still vote.