Building Buildings

PH5221

Here goes. I have no modding experience at all and was wondering how I would go about making buildings and such for GTA4? I would like to start off small, with a town house or something like that. I would like more info. about making buildings and what programs to use, how to put them into the game etc. Thanks. Bear in mind I have no experience or any clue about this so please don't use technical jargon tounge.gif

well man, to be honest with you, gta modding, especially gta-iv modding is really challenging and requires maaany hours to be spent in front of the computers to test and examine things, so u can understand "what is what".... It's kinda hard for someone to describe the whole process for you here.... If u search the forums u will find plenty tutorials and stuff to help you out..

but since u have no experience at all, i will start by describing how the process goes in general

1) u model ur building etc. in a 3d modelling program (Sketchup if u are a beginner, 3ds Max if u are experienced ), u texture it ....

2) then u will need export filters to export convert ur model to gta iv format , and then u need to create a file that will contain the textures for your model

3) u need programs to put those files in gta iv and make them usable...

well man, to be honest with you, gta modding, especially gta-iv modding is really challenging and requires maaany hours to be spent in front of the computers to test and examine things, so u can understand "what is what".... It's kinda hard for someone to describe the whole process for you here.... If u search the forums u will find plenty tutorials and stuff to help you out..

but since u have no experience at all, i will start by describing how the process goes in general

1) u model ur building etc. in a 3d modelling program (Sketchup if u are a beginner, 3ds Max if u are experienced ), u texture it ....

2) then u will need export filters to export convert ur model to gta iv format , and then u need to create a file that will contain the textures for your model

3) u need programs to put those files in gta iv and make them usable...

TYVM, I will look around the forums, however the Maps part of GTA 4 doesn't seem very active confused.gif

yeah actually it doesnt really, because it's the most challenging part and requires plenty of skill - and of course - plenty of free time

Hello PH,

This is how to do it.

1: Have 3d software program as Panos have described.

2: Download OpenIV and GIMS found on the tools section of the mod showroom. (In this forum of course).

3: After you completed your modelling process, follow this helpful tutorial: http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=471583

For number 3, do not use shadow's plugin for .wdr export, use GIMS to export .odr and use open IV to create .wdr via openformats.

This method got my team to bring in nearly a city block into GTA IV, of course, at the expense of time. Good luck, if you are willing to learn, nothing is hard, believe me and more so, yourself. smile.gif

Edited by Limiter