What tech do you have that has lasted a long time?

Waste

Was sitting here reading all the "my X device has died" topics which reminded me of a few pieces I had sittings around that just won't quit.

So I ask, what tech do you have around that still just keeps on going?

Me personally I still have two Maxtor Diamondmax 9's in my computer that have been in a running machine for at least seven years.

I also have an original iPhone 3g that I've had and used since I bought it when they first came out.

My N52te is also a few years old and is still running like new.

EDIT: Almost forgot my "media center" PC. Friend of mine stole a bunch of computers from the dumpster of a university and he ended up giving me a Dell Optiplex 270 and I still have it today and it runs like clockwork. (Yay P4!) Won't run HD movies above 720p without skipping like a scratched up record. sad.gif

Edited by Waste

I've still got my SNES, and it still runs like a charm. Just one of those machines that was truly built to last.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for any of my computers. They all eventually ran into a major malfunction, and they're the reason I will never trust another pre-built tower as long as I live.

Slosten.gif

I have two old Dell laptops that still run, though they're useless for most things. The newer of the two is a Latitude C600 with a Pentium III (Coppermine) and 256MB of RAM. I keep it running 24/7 to log my router traffic/connections, but if not for that it isn't capable of much else. Even most of the lighter linux distros choke it pretty good, so I just left it running the XP I "updated" it to (it ran NT and 2000 when I was originally using it.)

My router is a Linksys WRT54GL, which isn't exactly ancient, but I'd have a newer one if I didn't love the model so much. I actually have an unopened backup or two of it so when it dies I can flash a "new" one with the same third-party firmware I have this one running. (Tomato btw.)

That's about it for PC/network related tech, but I have tons of other tech stuff lying around I just can't stop using.

MiniDisc walkmans for example. They're all recorders, and I even have an old CD to MD (and vice versa) shelf unit. I absolutely love those things. I think they're a f*cking great technology. If it wasn't for flash memory MP3 players coming out at just the right time and killing them, there might even be proper drivers for audio/data use on current PCs. But there isn't, as consumer use of MD is dead. So few people have apparently come across these things that I see TV and movies getting away with using them as the "spy media", or "future technology media" all the time. sad.gif

I've still got a working second-generation iPod in a cupboard somewhere. I'm waiting 'til the inevitable moment where all the first-gens have died from HDD failure, then I'm going to stick it up on ebay.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Finn 7 five 11

Well my parents still have CRT's tv's from the early 90's that work great and my dad has a transistor radio that still works from the 60's, and one of their home phones from the 90's still works...i think, or did they replace it?

A guy i know still has a tv from the mid 70's, it was one of the first colour tv's available in australia, it has a metal label on it saying In colour haha.

My PS2 fat from 2001 still works...most of the time, i got a new ps2 slim, but i sometimes use the other one.

I have a gameboy colour from 2001 as well and it and the pokemon cartridges still work, i was just a kid then..haha. * Nostalgia*

I still have a windows 95pc that works without any issues, aside from occasional freezing.

New technology seems to break waay more easily unfortunately, but it is probably because new tech is much more sensitive because there are so many fine parts that are required to cram more into a smaller space.

Well my parents still have CRT's tv's from the early 90's that work great and my dad has a transistor radio that still works from the 60's, and one of their home phones from the 90's still works...i think, or did they replace it?

A guy i know still has a tv from the mid 70's, it was one of the first colour tv's available in australia, it has a metal label on it saying In colour haha.

My PS2 fat from 2001 still works...most of the time, i got a new ps2 slim, but i sometimes use the other one.

I have a gameboy colour from 2001 as well and it and the pokemon cartridges still work, i was just a kid then..haha. * Nostalgia*

I still have a windows 95pc that works without any issues, aside from occasional freezing.

New technology seems to break waay more easily unfortunately, but it is probably because new tech is much more sensitive because there are so many fine parts that are required to cram more into a smaller space.

One of my best mates has a Bang & Olufsen TV from 1991. He got it from a distant relative when she moved into a care home and much of her furniture and possessions were sold off to pay for care.

It's still got about the best speakers of any TV I've ever watched, and the picture quality rivals many of the 720p HDTVs.

Edited by sivispacem

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

AndrefromEstonia

I have an old MP3 player. Now that is like a brick. It's a Creative ZEN with a 2,4" display. It was pretty much squashed in my backbag. Still works okay. Nothing wrong with it. Only the buttons don't function very well. But now i have iPod Touch, so i don't use the ZEN that much anymore. Still, i got the thing in 2007 i think.

user posted image

I have a HP laptop from 1999 which still works and is in really good condition. Obviously I don't use it regularly as it's got an 800x600 display (Most modern websites are designed for 1024x768 minimum) and an underpowered Pentium II. I think it must have been unused for most of its life because apart from a crack in the bezel, it looks brand new. Oh, and apart from mine and my brothers LCD TVs, all our TVs are CRTs from the 90's that are used on a daily basis.

leik oh em jeez!

iPhone 3G? Isn't that only like three years old?

Anyways, I've still got my PS2 and original Playstation. The PS2 has taken a good beating, too. Got pulled off of a shelf, which jammed the disc tray about an inch out of the machine. Eventually kicked it back in and played NFS UG2 for about a month, as it still wouldn't open. After that I pried it open with a screwdriver and it's worked fine ever since.

Finn 7 five 11

One of my best mates has a Bang & Olufsen TV from 1991. He got it from a distant relative when she moved into a care home and much of her furniture and possessions were sold off to pay for care.

It's still got about the best speakers of any TV I've ever watched, and the picture quality rivals many of the 720p HDTVs.

Word Up on that my man, i think Picture on a lot of CRT's can be better than newer flat screens at times and i think that all tv's now are made with the assumption that if people care about what it sounds like they will go buy a Home theatre system.

My old Logitech G7 mouse is still going strong, and is the single best mouse I've ever owned, the same with my Logitech Z4 speakers - I believe I've had them both for some 6-7 years. inlove.gif

Osaka AN-2010A - basically a casette + vinyl player. If I'm not mistaken it was bought in 1993 (almost as old as me, lol). I don't use it anymore, but it's still in perfect condition and works just fine.

74cXSsx.png

Hmmm nice bike

As far as music players go, I've got a Mitsubishi record player from the late 80s, a Zenith radio/record player from the mid to late 70s (it even looks brand new, not a scratch on it), and a Mitsubishi stereo from the early 90s. For video games, I've got an NES, Sega Genesis (original model from 1989), Atari 2600, an original model Playstation (my brother bought it on its release day), an N64, an Xbox, a Sega Dreamcast, and the first "fat" PSP from 2005. The N64, PS1, and Xbox are all still connected to my TV and sitting next to my 360. Then there's my Dell desktop computer and all its components which have lasted since 2004, never had any failures, and has never crashed. I haven't even upgraded it since then, it's only got a 72 GB hard drive and maybe 512 MB of ram. The mouse on it is starting to go out, though.

leik oh em jeez!

"very old" "2007"

Really? That's not even old. It's not a great feat for electronics to last four years.

And it's Compaq, not compact.

My Toshiba Gigabeat is from 2004 and it still works pretty well. Had to put Rockbox on it and buy it a new battery though...

I've got loads of 20 GB hard-drives from 99-01 era

Still using the same TV and Stereo I bought in 2001

That's all I can really think of though.

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

I have a P4 from 2002, which has both Win98 and WinXP on different partitions, works fine with a 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD and onboard Intel trademark crappy 64MB gfx. The keyboard is a classic Logitech and the mouse is an old Microsoft ball. The monitor is an even older Samtron 56V. Yet I can still play GTA:SA on it. Only problem is the onboard USB and LAN are fried, so I have to use PCI adapters for those purposes.

One of my friends has a Dell Latitude from 1999 something, it is a Pentium II, but still works like a charm.

Does a 16 year old PSOne count?

I also have an old Macintosh lying in the attic somewhere.

66MHz PowerPC, 8MB of RAM I think and a 1MB video card and of course a massive 500MB HDD.

vertical limit
"very old" "2007"

Really? That's not even old. It's not a great feat for electronics to last four years.

And it's Compaq, not compact.

It was my dad's, then he gave it to me.

-

Edited by Marwin

L71cGcK.png

Intellimouse from 2002. I also have a penny from 1986 on my desk.

tRSmCi4.gif

I also have a Palm III some where that still works, even if the case is splitting because the screws don't hold it together very well any more.

All I'd have to do is put the batteries back in it.

Not really sure why I hung on to it as long as I did after getting an iPhone.

I also have a Palm III some where that still works

Ha, me too. I have a Palm IIIe that I completely forgot about because I don't use it at all anymore. Still works perfectly though, as does it's cradle, the little camera attachment, and the external keyboard thingamabob.