Fried my Graphics Card

Saggy

Well, my friend has been borrowing my GeForce 9800GT in the living room PC and it's been pretty darn hot out there. Yesterday the PC took a crap and we originally thought it was the power supply because when you'd power the PC on, the power LED indicator would just flash once and nothing would happen--as in the rig actually wouldn't even power on to get fans spinning. Wound up switching out power supplies and then at the end when we hooked the video card back in with the new PSU, same behavior.

Well, turns out the fan got all seized up and since it's been so hot in there I'm figuring the heat got to it. Still I've never seen a video card do this, usually they just prevent the PC from POST. This seems like something in the power circuitry got fried and won't let the computer actually run because it breaks the circuit the PSU is supplying power to the rest of the comp on.

So I'm wondering two things...

One, what video card can I get ( preferably less than $100 ) that is equal to or better than the GeForce 9800 GT? I was going to just out right replace it, but they haven't come down in price much since I bought it and it seems like I could probably get better for around the same price. I hear those HD4850s are pretty sweet.

Secondly, my friend found a method online ( with this very video card ) involving baking it in the oven to melt the solder circuits and fix the short. I'm not really so sure it's a short that can be fixed this way since it seems to be power related rather than chip related. In any case, my biggest worry is that if we did this it might complete the circuit again, but still be running on a hot short which could damage the rest of the computer. I was already counting my blessings that it wasn't the PSU and didn't get to the CPU/MB, so I don't know if I really want to risk trying to fix it unless someone could explain to me why there is nothing to worry about. I'm not the most keen when it comes to electronics, but something tells me that oven-baking a chip with billions of little transistors might not exactly go as planned even if it worked for the rest of the circuitry.

Anyway, yeah, it would be nice to fix it, but I'm not really counting on that.

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

If there's no hope in repairing it, you might as well give baking it a shot. I don't think an overheating video card would be likely to cause damage to the rest of the computer, but I could be wrong.

OverTheBelow

Nvidia GTS 450 $100

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814134119

AMD HD 6770 $110

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814131434

Both are almost identical in terms of performance. The GTS 450 is better at DX11 but the 6770 also excels a little in some games:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/...ts-450-review/3

[6770 is a rebranded 5770 - compare gts 450 results with the 5770 in the graphs]

DU8afL0.jpg

Also, I'm trying to find a card that has an SVideo out. Are there any adapters? Don't want to get an HD tv.

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

Okay, this is what we were looking at doing, but I wasn't sure if it would still produce the type of signal that the TV needed.

Yes.

VGA is an analog signal as is S-Video.

DVI can run in both analog and digital modes if I am not mistaken.

Google searched, and yes, DVI can output an analog signal.

Yes.

VGA is an analog signal as is S-Video.

DVI can run in both analog and digital modes if I am not mistaken.

Google searched, and yes, DVI can output an analog signal.

Okay, do you know if there's anything special I'll need to do to make the DVI output the right signal, or is it just as simple as hooking everything up? I was wondering about doing this with one of those cards that just has a HDMI out and then two DVI outs