Aliens: Colonial Marines

papanesta

The previous topic was from 2008, so I hope nobody minds a new one. The hype I'm feeling after the recent trailers is rather substantial, especially as I'm a massive fan of Aliens (and the other films, obviously).

Recent GamesCom trailer.

E3 teaser trailer.

Even older teaser.

Now, I've never played an Alien related game, but it looks like Gearbox is making this too tempting to resist. Release date currently seems to be around March 2012, with the 30th being mentioned, but I'm not sure that's official.

scMmGsh.jpg

Vanilla Shake

The fact that even the pulse rifle sounds just like the ones from Aliens is making me pitch a tent.

TC718 / <629 / CF5

NGEh8XV.png

I guess i need i to grab my non-sh*ttable-pants because i'm in for a ride on childhood-comic book-nerd-lane biggrin.gif

This is incredibly good news. I feel very happy.

jqmqKlq.gif

The fact that even the pulse rifle sounds just like the ones from Aliens is making me pitch a tent.

That pretty much sold it for me. They already had the noise of the motion sensor, then that "brrrrr" kicked in, and I started getting seriously excited.

It's already looking great, and there's still tons of time for polishing.

scMmGsh.jpg

WF the Hobgoblin

This looks like it's going to be the Aliens game I've always wanted. Seeing that Action trailer the other day has got me ridiculously excited again.

Edited by WF the Hobgoblin

It's been a while since that teaser, the action trailer is looking awesome.

aI91o00Ybdk

Co-op as well, didn't know they were adding that.

Maybe hinting at being able to play as the Alien as well in another mode?

s0h607k.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Just thought I'd bump this to remind you of the optimism some of you had for this game. Hopes & dreams smashed to smithereens sad.gif

^^Judging from the amount of posts in this topic i don't think too many were looking forward to it in the first place. tounge.gif

I suppose if you're well into the lore of the Alien franchise you may get a kick out of the game but as for a gaming experience it's a complete mess from what i have seen and heard. The Alien AI is supposed to be terrible but the human AI is supposed to be even worse. Apparently Gearbox sourced the game out and have had two other developers working on it whilst they've been working on Borderlands 2.

This was demo version compared to the retail version, just look how different the two games look, how does it get worse.

lol

It may have had a complete battering by everyone but i'll stick pick it up down the line at some point.

s0h607k.jpg

Yeah I've seen that before/after comparison video. It actually made me laugh out loud, but only because I didn't buy the game, I'd be crying if I had.

Borderlands 2 obviously got all the love & attention because that's their baby. I don't blame the developers to whom the game was outsourced to, ultimately the buck stops with Gearbox & SEGA. I can't see Fox allowing either of them anywhere near another Alien game & can only hope it is handed to a publisher/developer who would relish the chance to work on something so iconic. Unfortunately, most great developers would rather put time & effort into an IP they actually own, rather than lining the pockets of movie studio executives. Sega should've just let Rebellion develop it alongside AvP (2010).

I will buy the game eventually, maybe when it's in the bargain bin. Shouldn't take more than a month.

Algonquin Bridge

...Eh. That's my general feeling about the game. I'm glad I only found out about this recently, because of the reactions of people who were actually looking forward to this. The comparison videos show a definite drop in overall quality. The lighting's the biggest one I notice - the earlier versions actually look like a film. The dynamic lighting also brings up more dark areas, which is great for a game about a killer predator that thrives in the darkness.

The final product is very mediocre, at its best. The guns did their job, though they didn't feel too weighty (or sound it, going by the shotgun and pistols). The AI was stupid, though. Both humans and aliens did some pretty stupid things. The storyline wasn't too compelling - likewise, I didn't care much for the main characters. Also, regardless of what 20th Century Fox or Gearbox says, I don't consider this the true canon sequel to Aliens. If you're wanting to retcon Alien 3, do it with something better than this.

Want to know how this game could've been better? SWAT 4, except with Marines and Aliens. Squad-based commands, reliance on the motion tracker to show you where an intelligent, hunting enemy is, and more survival horror gameplay than "BLAM BLAM OORAH GIT FIGHTIN' DEM WEY-YU PMCs AND DEM ALIENS OOORAH TO ASHES MARINES OSCAR MIKE!"

The Legendary Weapons were kinda cool, I'll give it that.

I heard that this game got outsourced to quite a few companies - which may explain why it's such a damn mess. What a shame.

I can't believe they cock teased us with this for more than a decade and then they just completely f*cked it in the ass at the end. What the f*ck is this even?

user posted image

Seriously, they missed a perfect chance at making an awesome Aliens game and we probably wont see another game for a long time. f*ck this gay earth.

jqmqKlq.gif

BullworthAcademy

What's wrong with the full product?

I saw the trailers when they came out and I think the game looks amazing!

What was bad about the game?

@tuareg

lol.giflol.gif A mincing Xenomorph. Oh that's a beauty of a gif.

@theomenofficial

Just look at the videos Seddo posted above & read some of the reviews, most of which are utterly scathing. It's an absolute clusterf*ck of a game, with touted features completely removed, constant screen tearing, laughable AI, last gen animation, muddy textures, boring level design, atmosphere killing glitches, embarrassing story, cringeworthy dialogue & a 5 hour campaign (1/10th of which seems to be welding open/sealing shut doors).

Don't even bother picking this up, even if you're a big fan of the movies.

Average review score is 49/100 for the xbox version, and besides the one review outlier the highest score is a 65/100.

Source.

I guess it's not bad given you buy it from a bargain bin and if you somehow haven't seen the movies and don't know what to expect.

But for the people who are a fan of the franchise this is equivalent to a kick in the groin basically.

jqmqKlq.gif

ClaudeSpeed1911
user posted image

I think that Alien does not see you because he is blind and only locate you by hearing, Though I'm not sure if its the one I'm talking about.

I will get this game later because the gameplay remind me of Duke Nukem Forever.

BullworthAcademy

I guess it's not bad given you buy it from a bargain bin and if you somehow haven't seen the movies and don't know what to expect.

But for the people who are a fan of the franchise this is equivalent to a kick in the groin basically.

I've seen the movies.

I might pick it up sometime later, after The Last of Us and GTA V. ph34r.gif

Um, so, found out last night, Hicks is still alive?! As much as I thought the start of Alien 3 was a cop-out, bringing him back now is too late. Well seeing Michael Biehn is probably struggling for money.

scMmGsh.jpg

Despite all the flak this game is receiving, I'm honestly enjoying it. Especially the multiplayer, in survival/escape modes it's a blast with friends. The campaign is passable, yeah it isn't as pretty as was originally demoed, but it's a fun shooter and not nearly as bad as the reviews say in my opinion.

Um, so, found out last night, Hicks is still alive?! As much as I thought the start of Alien 3 was a cop-out, bringing him back now is too late. Well seeing Michael Biehn is probably struggling for money.

That's just embarrassing storytelling. Why couldn't they have put a giant living Engineer in the game? That would've improved the game by about 30%. In fact, the only Prometheus references I noticed were the red mapping spheres (pups) in the derelict & the holographic ship battle in the Space Jockey pilot room/orrery. Anybody notice any more?

Algonquin Bridge
In fact, the only Prometheus references I noticed were the red mapping spheres (pups) in the derelict & the holographic ship battle in the Space Jockey pilot room/orrery. Anybody notice any more?

I remember during the second time you go to the Space Jokey's room, your character exclaims "My god." Your partner says "That's not your god." Oh, the irony.

In fact, the only Prometheus references I noticed were the red mapping spheres (pups) in the derelict & the holographic ship battle in the Space Jockey pilot room/orrery. Anybody notice any more?

I remember during the second time you go to the Space Jokey's room, your character exclaims "My god." Your partner says "That's not your god." Oh, the irony.

I actually haven't played the game, this is just stuff I've gleaned from watching 4 separate parts of a YouTube playthrough. I do feel a bit of a hypocite slagging off a game I haven't even tried. It's not something I condone, or make a habit of. It's just that 90% of reviews can't be wrong & I've read a lot of customer reviews, they almost all match up.

The way Gearbox have acted tells me that they think they are bigger & more important than the 'Aliens' franchise. While I can't deny the franchise has taken a battering over the last 15 years & our apparent saviour clearly missed the mark with Prometheus. A beautiful, yet baffling film that needs but probably doesn't deserve a sequel.

I can't imagine any serious developer would want anything to do with the next installment in the ongoing downward spiral. It's my second favourite movie franchise (the first 3 films anyway) & quite frankly, I just want it to end. My favourite movie (though hardly a franchise) was effectively ended with an embarrassing prequel (The Thing). It even had a video game adaptation sequel, just like this game. Except that was made with some care & enthusiasm, by developers who put their heart & soul into the game, got good scores, decent sales & then had their sequel canned. Seems not much has changed in the last 10 years.

Sorry for the rant. blush.gif

Just been looking this up, from the media trickery to the lore defenestration.

It was once on my 'pretty sure' list, then moved to my 'maybe' list, and now... whatsthat.gif

Yikes. I was looking into getting this game but damn. I doubt i'll touch it for five dollars. Shame. The franchise deserved better, WAY better.

friendly luggage

I'll pick this game up when it's around £15. Even though the AI are just homing missles, it looks fun with friends. Environments are said to be pretty and they do look it.

Environments are said to be pretty and they do look it.

Any chance I could borrow your eyeballs? I really want my girlfriend to look like Angelina Jolie.

As a massive f*cking fan of the Alien franchise that was excited as sh*t for this game, I can now say that it was the biggest pile of disappointing sh*t I have ever played and has definitely convinced me to never preorder games ever again. f*ck me, this game gave me f*cking tumours.

Check these comparison videos out.

AVP (2010) vs A:CM (2013)

Obviously skewed in favour of AvP but still obvious which game had the most love & attention lavished upon it.

A:CM Preview (2012) vs A:CM Release (2013)

The 'Demo' & 'Final' tags are messed up in parts of the above video, but it's so obvious which is which.

This is why I only pre-order R* games.