Should be running a lot better than this

Neally

Yes its taken 6 years for me to post (I forgot i had a account here)

Grand Theft Auto 4 has been running like sh*t for me. I don't know why.

Res 2560x1440

System

Intel Q9650 3.2ghz

Gpu ( Reinstalled games after each card) GTX 295 > AMD 5970 (BORROWED) > AMD 6970 ( more ram not mirrored)

OS vista 64bit

8 Gb decent speed ram ( doubt that would be a issue

Now i had nothing but trouble with this game. It must be a shocking port i just want to know if there is a third party patch that can fix it without killing windows live.

Your CPU is the bottleneck here, with that resolution it's pretty clear to me wink.gif

To max out the game with smooth fps (on that resolution) you need an i5-2500k which is waaay overclocked

OverTheBelow

You can't run the game at that resolution with those specs..

..on high settings at 60fps. On medium it should cope fine at 30-60fps.

There is no reason why it would struggle otherwise, provided he is using the 6970.

DU8afL0.jpg

Yeah i am using a 6970 at the moment until years end. Thing is my cpu/ram/baord combo is getting old, don't reallly want to upgrade it until ivy bridge. Does this game prefer Nvidia by any chance?

cheers for the comments guys least i am no longer under the illision that its a gpu limitation / poor port (kinda is)

might get a Core i7-3820 when they come out that should do the trick ( is my gpu fast enough to max it at that res with iceenhancer)

OverTheBelow
might get a Core i7-3820 when they come out that should do the trick ( is my gpu fast enough to max it at that res with iceenhancer)

No. Even the (faster) Nvidia counterpart GTX 580 would barely scrape 40fps with iCEnhancer at that resolution. The next line of graphics cards arrive sometime in Q1 2012, these should provide a much finer performance difference than we're normally used to with new lines of cards (which would probably be the ideal generation of graphics cards for this game).

As for the new i7, definitely. That will give you amazing results when overclocked.. with any application.

DU8afL0.jpg

Does GTA 4 utilise anymore than for cores? Yeah i am getting a new gpu this year. My mate took his 5970x2 back so i had to buy a temp card which was the 6970 i was thinking about gettigna 590 but its a waste of money when new cards are out later this year. It time to upgrade my computer which is always a pain.

OverTheBelow

Does GTA 4 utilise anymore than for cores?

No, it only uses up to three cores.

Edited by OverTheBelow

DU8afL0.jpg

Your CPU is the bottleneck here, with that resolution it's pretty clear to me wink.gif

To max out the game with smooth fps (on that resolution) you need an i5-2500k which is waaay overclocked

Resolution has nothing to do with the CPU, it's the video card that will give performance boost with a high res monitor.

YankeesPwnMets

Resolution has nothing to do with the CPU, it's the video card that will give performance boost with a high res monitor.

GTA IV is very CPU dependent. The higher your res, GTA IV would need more processing power.

I suggest you know what you are talking about first.

Edited by YankeesPwnMets

I do know what I'm talking about.

The game does use a lot of CPU power, but playing at high res will not make the CPU work any harder at the same frame rate, whether the res was 800 x 600 or 1920x1080 (unless the field of view were altered to encompas more objects, ie eyefinity etc). It's the GPU that works hard to render things at higher resolution, not the CPU.

Infact, if you were to play at a lower res, your video card would be able to render more frames and the CPU would have to work hard to pass more of those frames onto the video card. So in actual fact, the higher your res, the lower the frame rate (GPU bottleneck) and hence the CPU would actually have to work LESS than it would do at a higher frame rate.

I do know what I'm talking about.

The game does use a lot of CPU power, but playing at high res will not make the CPU work any harder at the same frame rate, whether the res was 800 x 600 or 1920x1080 (unless the field of view were altered to encompas more objects, ie eyefinity etc). It's the GPU that works hard to render things at higher resolution, not the CPU.

Infact, if you were to play at a lower res, your video card would be able to render more frames and the CPU would have to work hard to pass more of those frames onto the video card. So in actual fact, the higher your res, the lower the frame rate (GPU bottleneck) and hence the CPU would actually have to work LESS than it would do at a higher frame rate.

The reflections (and some other graphical features) in GTA IV are scaled differently with higher resolutions. The workload for these reflections are put more on the CPU rather than the GPU. As a result, a higher video resolution will increase the load on both the CPU and GPU with this game regardless due to the many factors that it has an affect on.

The CPU is more often the bottleneck rather than the graphics card with this game because it has been corner-cuttingly optimised for consoles at a target of no higher than 30fps.

DU8afL0.jpg

OK, I see what you're both saying now then. Yeah, that sounds like it could make sense. I've heard of shadows having an effect on the CPU before, but nothing like this. I do appologise for such noobishness.

Probably should have locked the game to 3 cores for this, but I've just done a little benchmark and with 800x600 (cpu bottleneck)

http://i51.tinypic.com/2yweano.jpg

And at 1920x1080 (GPU bottleneck, CPU usage high, but as high as the other pic)

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ajbdih.jpg

There was still a CPU bottleneck at 800x600, though not anywhere near as much as I thought there would be. I was expecting GPU usage in the first pic to be around 20% or something.

OK, I see what you're both saying now then. Yeah, that sounds like it could make sense. I've heard of shadows having an effect on the CPU before, but nothing like this. I do appologise for such noobishness.

Probably should have locked the game to 3 cores for this, but I've just done a little benchmark and with 800x600 (cpu bottleneck)

http://i51.tinypic.com/2yweano.jpg

And at 1920x1080 (GPU bottleneck, CPU usage high, but as high as the other pic)

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ajbdih.jpg

There was still a CPU bottleneck at 800x600, though not anywhere near as much as I thought there would be. I was expecting GPU usage in the first pic to be around 20% or something.

Don't worry about it, this game's PC optimisation confuses most PC gamers.

Are these both benchmarks on lowest settings? It'd be interesting to know the framerate they are running at on both (and which 5800 card you have). tounge.gif

DU8afL0.jpg

Are these both benchmarks on lowest settings? It'd be interesting to know the framerate they are running at on both (and which 5800 card you have). tounge.gif

I have 5850. And settings were all on high, with auto draw distance etc. Frame rate was about 30-40 fps on 1080p and 80-100 fps on 800x600.